I'm working to TDEE is there any point logging exercises

Options
I have a pretty stressful time trying to log all my exercise as half the ones i do aren't even on MFP database. I'm working to TDEE anyway with my exercise factored in so is there much point even worrying about logging my activities
Thanks

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i think if you eating tdee - exercise is already factored in and you dont eat back exercise cals so i dont see why you should bother logging it if you dont feel like worrying about it
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    nah no point. i do it because then you get positive comments from your MFP friends which is a nice thing to have after you've put in effort, and to track my excercise to make sure i'm hitting my targets. I don't eat back those cals but it does give me a bit more space in macros before they go red which is a nice visual too
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It's up to you what to track and what not to, BUT, your nominal tdee is not necessarily going to match up with your actual tdee. One way to check is to accurately measure your burn, at least from time to time.

Another approach would be to just apply a broad error correction. So if you aren't losing at the predicted rate, you can just figure out the margin of error and adjust the nominal values accordingly.

A cheap heart rate monitor is always a good investment. It can keep you honest about exercise intensity.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. If it's a hassle logging the exercises, then don't bother. TDEE is what it says - Total Daily Energy Expenditure and depending on how you've calculated the value (ie not sedentary) then your exercise should be factored into it. I am by no means an expert and this is what I've read around the topic.

I'm trying to eat at TDEE-20% and at this point in time, not too concerned with macros, so I've been logging all my exercise.

Do what's best for you.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I've debated this same thing for ages! I've finally decided on NO! But I do want to make a note of the exercises but I don't care about the calories burnt so I've been putting the exercises in the 'exercise notes' section so I can see what I've done every day and I can work out whether something is working better than another thing :) Hope that helps!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I set my calorie goal at TDEE-17% (because somewhere between 15-20% is ideal for me at the moment) and I never eat back any exercise calories since they are factored in. That being said, I do log calories burned only because it helps me to keep track of the exercise that I do if I see that it was posted here on MFP. I pre-log my food, so seeing the numbers change in my diary doesn't throw me off. A lot of people log calories burned, but they change it to just 1 calorie burned so that it shows they logged exercise without throwing off their diary.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I log as 1 cal burned and not for the kudos either. I log it bc it helps me track how much I'm averaging hour wise with exercising and I log my weight routines so it helps me keep track of my strentgh gains. With TDEE you don't eat back exercise cals as they are factored in. The only exception to this is those who still see themselves as sedentary and then workout. Also with TDEE your macros don't change, sorry no wiggle room there. Even if MFP tells you they increased by inputting exercise it's bc MFP is not TDEE.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I log as 1 cal burned and not for the kudos either. I log it bc it helps me track how much I'm averaging hour wise with exercising and I log my weight routines so it helps me keep track of my strentgh gains. With TDEE you don't eat back exercise cals as they are factored in. The only exception to this is those who still see themselves as sedentary and then workout. Also with TDEE your macros don't change, sorry no wiggle room there. Even if MFP tells you they increased by inputting exercise it's bc MFP is not TDEE.

not necc true. My TDEE activity is 'light' because my job is active. Any extra I do puts me into moderate, but some weeks I don't have time for the extra, so my cal goal is set at the lower of my two TDEE numbers less 20%.

doesn't work? tell that to my vanished 16kg :D
  • leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    Well I have my TDEE set at moderate exercise minus 20% for weight loss. I would probably say my activity levels are borderline moderate to very active because not only do I do 30-60 mins on my exercise bike 6 days a week I allways try some aerobic exercises targeted at my bum and abs which is 20-40 mins every other day I also do strength training like 3-4 days a week for 30-60 ins a session. As well as all that I aim a full time mum to 3 so I walk all the school runs I do all the chores everyday im a bit OCD with the housework lol soooo yeah think there is room for error within my calories allotted iykwim :-/
    im not watching macros at the min im just trying to get into a nice routine with my workouts eating clean then I may move on to watching macros :-)
  • jojoglode
    jojoglode Posts: 12
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

not necc true. My TDEE activity is 'light' because my job is active. Any extra I do puts me into moderate, but some weeks I don't have time for the extra, so my cal goal is set at the lower of my two TDEE numbers less 20%.

Edit, not worth it. Please read before blasting off. Never said it didn't work!!!
  • trudijoy
    Options

Edit, not worth it. Please read before blasting off. Never said it didn't work!!!

didn't mean it as a go, just that the 'no wiggle room' comment implied that belief and was addressing that. No harm no foul, thanks for removing that before I read it haha. :)