Weight gain with contraceptive pill

Options
Poods71
Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
Has anyone had any experience of weight gain on the pill? I was only on it briefly about 20 years ago but found it gave me tummy pains so stopped. I did put some weight on but that could just have been down to eating more not really sure.

I was thinking of going back on it, even just briefly, as TOM is due when I go on holiday and I don't wan't my holiday ruined by feeling crappy.

Probably won't be on it long if it still has the same effect it had before so may not have any effects but just wanted to see if anyone could advise if they experience this and how quickly it happend?

Replies

• siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i didnt gain weight going on the pill, but i did when i tried the contraceptive shot.. and the worst part about that was that i couldnt exaclty stop taking it :P
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I haven't experience that at all
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I used to use it as an excuse for my weight gain - but actually when I spoke to my GP and thought about it - it didn't make me gain weight as such, but it did increase my appetite and because I'd always been used to eating when I was hungry an it not being an issue I started to pile on the weight! So keep an eye out for that :) I've now got the mirena coil and found the same problem with that for a month but I stuck to my guns and reminded myself that I wasn't hungry it was the coil and it's been absolutely fine ever since :) xxx
  • Poods71
    Options
    That could maybe have been my problem the last time, I just felt hungrier so ate more.
  • Poods71
    Options
    i didnt gain weight going on the pill, but i did when i tried the contraceptive shot.. and the worst part about that was that i couldnt exaclty stop taking it :P

Ye, that's why I never fancied the shot (or jag as we call it lol) as you can't stop if you decide you don't like it. Oh and I'm not keen on needles lol
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I was losing steadily until I started taking the pill (Dianette), then hit a plateau of epic proportions. I was maintaining, more or less, but nothing I tried could get any weight to shift. My sister, a doctor, suggested that it may be that the pill is preventing weight loss, as this (or weight gain) can be a side effect of that particular type of medication... I'm contemplating stopping for a few months to see whether I can get things moving again.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I did not gain weight from the pill, but it made it really hard to lose weight. I was taking Yaz for about 3 years and my weight was fairly steady the whole time no matter what I ate or how I worked out. But, no, I did not gain anything either. It just messed with my hormones just enough to prevent me from losing anything. I started losing again when I went off the pill back in 2011.
  • Xianpu27
    Xianpu27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No weight gain on the pill for me! I lost the majority of my weight while taking Yazmin with no problems at all, but I've had to stop taking it due to other reasons.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I gained a TON when I was on Loestrin but I was also going bonkers with food, so I can't really blame the pill. It also made me into a crazy insane lunatic mad woman but I guess I can't really blame the pill on that either :laugh:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I gained a TON when I was on Loestrin but I was also going bonkers with food, so I can't really blame the pill. It also made me into a crazy insane lunatic mad woman but I guess I can't really blame the pill on that either :laugh:

People thought that I was bipolar when I was on Yaz. :tongue:

Hormonal treatments affect people in strange ways...and it seems that they affect everyone differently as even people on this thread have different experiences with the same pills!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Worth remembering there are loads of different types of contraceptive pills.....

I was on the progestogen only pill (cerazette) , which they claim doesnt cause weight gain, but can cause the body to retain water... I did a bit of a test with it when I went back on it... no change in eating or exercise ( I literally logged everything, for a month either side)... but my weight loss completely halved...
    x
  • Poods71
    Options
    Hmmmm, I guess everyone reacts differently. I just really want to get them to stop my period for my holidays but did think if I was ok I might consider carrying on with them to regulate my period as it seems to be going a bit haywire just now, possibly perimenopausal. But if the tummy pains started again or I put on weight I would just stop them.

Thanks for all the advice :smile:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If anything, the pill helped me lose weight. I'm on the generic version of Yazmin (Zarah), but I started taking the pill for regulatory reasons rather than contraceptive. Since my hormones aren't going haywire anymore, it's easier to stay on track with weight loss.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for sure...I also noticed that my workouts didn't seem to do much except help me barely maintain.

I also had horrific periods (heavy, cramps, EXTREME moodiness).

I switched to the Mirena IUD per my OB/GYN's advice...my periods are almost non-existent, no cramps and the moodiness is far less.

I also notice that while I may not be losing tons of weight, I'm visually seeing a big difference. My thighs are much slimmer and I'm fitting in my clothes better...It may totally be in my head, but at least I'm not having the same problems I did on the pill. Bloating used to also be a big problem and that can change how you feel about yourself. You may not be gaining weight but you have a hard time buttoning your pants (because of bloating)...so that could be part of it.

Some people say that they eat more on the pill which causes weight gain...but I also feel like I had a harder time metabolizing what I ate. I definitely see a difference with the IUD. Plus the IUD is as effective has having your tubes tied and you don't have to remember to take anything. Win-win.

*Just re-read the post and saw the note about your holiday coming up*

Let your GYN know that you're going on vacation and don't want to be on your period...I think there is something they can give you to temporarily stop your period...A few of my sisters had to do that for their honeymoons.

The IUD will NOT help stop your period immediately for something like this. If anything it's ten times worse for about a month (for me-for some people it's more)...like non-stop period for a long time...so this will not help in your situation-but if you consider it in the future.
  • samwise29
    samwise29 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started taking contraceptive pill, I started putting weight on (Microgynon). I went back to my doctors & they too commented on my weight and swapped me from Microgynon to Yasmin, I stopped piling on weight.

I swapped from Yasmin to the depo injection a few years back, after I was in Canada & heard on the news about Yasmin Contraceptive having bad effects on people's kidneys. Due to me already having problems in the past with my kidneys, me and my doctor discussed this and I was taken off Yasmin and put on the injection.

I knew all the stories about people on the injection putting weight on, so it made me determined to work my butt off and not let it effect my weight. I have now been on it for 4 years & have actually lost 3 stone :D

I think everyone is different but if you are unhappy with what you are currently taking, speak to your doctor.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i was taking hormone pills, which is pretty similar to contraceptive pill. I was too skinny in the winter and i lost my period, so i had to take the therapy.
    I was at least 6 pounds heavier at the time i was taking it! so i decided to simply quit and 2 weeks later i DROPPED the weight, i swear!
    now i have to see if i will get period naturally, in the next couple of days.
    QUIT IT.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I definatley noticed a 10-15 pound weight gain. I was always around 130-135 at 5'8", so pretty small. When I started, I got up to 152. Once your body gets used to the hormones, it will allow you to go back to your normal weight. After about 6 months, I was back down to about 137 and that is where I have been since then!
  • lalaninjacakes
    Options
    I gained weight as soon as I came off of it :/
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    I gained 10 lb the first month I was on the pill. My weight had been steady prior to that. I have been able to lose a little bit but it has been slow going.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Back when I did take the pill I didn't gain weight, I LOST weight. I didn't realize until way after I started taking it that the reason why I felt sick all the time was because of the pill. My body didn't do well on it.

It all really depends on the person. I can't take any BC without feeling like feeling super crappy.