StrongLifts 5x5

Options
Anyone doing StrongLifts 5x5? I finished Session 2 yesterday. So far, it feels great, though I think I could use more weight in several of the lifts, so I'll adjust as needed. My lower body is definitely much stronger than my upper body. I struggle more with the upper exercises, so I hope to see improvements soon!

Replies

• Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You look very nice in your profile pix. Great work you've done. Wot was the highest weight you lifted and how lng before u saw results? I don't mind having ur results, am 4 weeks into the program.
    Sorry if I didn't answer ur question.
  • brandileah111
    brandileah111 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you for the link!
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am 8 weeks into Stronglifts 5X5. The program is fantastic and really worth sticking with.

The only thing I would say is enjoy the lower weights and use it to focus on your form. The weights soon start getting heavy and rushing forward may compromise your form.
  • brandileah111
    brandileah111 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am hearing this a lot. I will follow plan to avoid stalling. Best of luck!
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am in process of starting the 5x5 stronglift program and actually posted a topic in the message boards about 2 weeks ago. A lot of positive responses with people currently doing the program. Waiting for my knee to get better per Dr.'s orders before I start. Hoping only another week before I can start. Feel free to add me
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, stick with the program as I did session 9 yesterday and it was NOT easy for me. I haven' t really been challenged except for the overhead presses until yesterday. Now I have myself all freaked out about if I'm going to be able to do the next session - is my form right - what am I going to do about these callouses, etc.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a while now. I don't know how many sessions. But going strong since Feb of this year.

If you start to have problems with the OHP, check out the StartingStrength video for how they do their form. That really helped me continue to pile weights on.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    You must expect the OHP to be the hardest one to do. Many of us are not even able to start with the oly barbell! I´m sure you´re doing great, and yes, watch Starting Strength- Mark Rippletoe- on youtube. The man is a goldmine!!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Yes, stick with the program as I did session 9 yesterday and it was NOT easy for me. I haven' t really been challenged except for the overhead presses until yesterday. Now I have myself all freaked out about if I'm going to be able to do the next session - is my form right - what am I going to do about these callouses, etc.

Get you some lifting gloves with the fingertips cut out.....that's what I use. :flowerforyou:
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Gloves?! :(

I do have to buy some chalk soon I think. For OHP and Deadlifts. Grip strength is increasing, but with increased heat and humidity my hands tend to sweat a bit more now doing the heavier weights.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_learning_to_press_2.0

OHP video. That got me through the 70's. Only have stalled once, one set, one rep. Tomorrow is 110lbs for me. Afraid of stalling again though.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    this girl right here.

started this new routine on May 1 and going to continue. Already increasing weight each week and loving it!!!

focus on less exercises/more compound ones
    day 1 upper
    day 2 legs
    day 3 HIIT/Abs/Plyos
    day 4 upper
    day 5 lowers
    day 6 rest
    day 7 upper
    REPEAT
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I do a very similar program (focused on 5 sets, 5 reps) though not exactly Stronglifts. Probably 2 months in and already seeing results. My wife grabbed me around the ribs yesterday and said she could feel the difference in muscularity. Not only is going to improve your arms and legs, but doing all those full-body movements gets your core very, very strong as well.

Good luck and keep with it!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Gloves?! :(

I do have to buy some chalk soon I think. For OHP and Deadlifts. Grip strength is increasing, but with increased heat and humidity my hands tend to sweat a bit more now doing the heavier weights.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_learning_to_press_2.0

OHP video. That got me through the 70's. Only have stalled once, one set, one rep. Tomorrow is 110lbs for me. Afraid of stalling again though.

Thanks for sharing this. I do a seated press at the moment but might make the switch to OHP. Right about 135lbs at the moment.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do a very similar program (focused on 5 sets, 5 reps) though not exactly Stronglifts. Probably 2 months in and already seeing results. My wife grabbed me around the ribs yesterday and said she could feel the difference in muscularity. Not only is going to improve your arms and legs, but doing all those full-body movements gets your core very, very strong as well.

great for core. big difference when you have to stabalize with the compounds like front or back squats and deadlifts
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Stronglifts5x5 is the best, I am currently on the shelf but had been doing it for months. Love it!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    though I think I could use more weight in several of the lifts, so I'll adjust as needed.

I like it so far.
    You might just want to continue adding 5 lbs each time you go to the gym...it adds up fast!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

great for core. big difference when you have to stabalize with the compounds like front or back squats and deadlifts

For me front squats in particular. I feel like my obliques are two sharp points the next day. Which is good! :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Wut is a stronglifts lolololololol
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing StrongLifts 5x5? I finished Session 2 yesterday. So far, it feels great, though I think I could use more weight in several of the lifts, so I'll adjust as needed. My lower body is definitely much stronger than my upper body. I struggle more with the upper exercises, so I hope to see improvements soon!

i recommend you just stick to the program..if you increase the weight too much you will stall a lot quicker. the program will get way more difficult..just give it some time.