Coffee vs. water

Options
Howdy, all -

Rebooting after three weeks of hedonism in the Grand Canyon. Fortunately I only gained a pound out of the deal, so I'm not too far behind.

Question - do you guys count coffee into your water total? I drink decaf and have a hard time choking down enough water in the day. I've never been a water drinker. I have a SodaStream and make a lot of club soda, which helps a lot with my water total. Counting the coffee would be good, too, if it's fair game.

TIA.

Replies

• shoeprano27WECHANGED
    Options
    im not a coffee drinker, but i wouldnt... water dont have caffeine so it wont be a comparison....
  • RareBird_perched
    Options
    Some "experts" claim that caffeinated products actually cause dehydration. The diet I'm on specifies for any caffeinated beverage you drink, you should add twice that amount in additional water to your daily intake.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't water.

Water is water.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Either way if you count it or not your body will know the difference. Even decaf coffee is altered enough to effect hydration properly, but that being said its still probably better than not drinking anything at all
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Some "experts" claim that caffeinated products actually cause dehydration. The diet I'm on specifies for any caffeinated beverage you drink, you should add twice that amount in additional water to your daily intake.

So then, decaf coffee would count in your opinion? Or maybe with half caff you can count a portion?? :drinker:
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the elixir of the gods. Now you know what side of the coin I am on. I think that they do count towards hydration, so I count mine as water. If, however, you add cream, milk, 'stuff' to your coffee, it should be counted as calories.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Coffee isn't water.

Water is water.

This is true, coffee makers want you to think they run hot water through ground coffee beans, when its actually just a puree of coffee beans grounds to a fine paste, with no water content at all.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't coffee and other drinks, but honestly, I'm not sure why. It includes water in them. Then again, you could also count the water in your food. After a while, I think it would be too much calculating. I think it is important to get enough water and if you can add it by other means, might as well. For coffee, as long as you aren't adding calories (milk, sugar and other stuff) then go ahead and count it. But if that is making up the rest of your water intake, try straight water and tea as well. I think the soda water idea is great too. Keep it up!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My hydration is fine, yesterday it was a litre of pepsi max, about the same of coffee (caffeinated) and some red wine. With that and the water in the food I ate there was easily enough to have me pee several times.

Coffee and pepsi max are >99% water. Red wine >85%.

I'm not averse to drinking water, and do so from time to time, but it's a simple minded fail to say that you have to drink pure water to stay hydrated or achieve some state of Nirvana or weight loss.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

It's not a claim, it's a fact. Caffeine is a scientifically proven diuretic and it will most certainly dehydrate you if that is the only liquid you drink.

My rule, two glasses of water before one cup of coffee.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your coffee and drink your water, too, because you need it.. Only water is water. Coffee, elixir of the gods, is a treat but it isn't water. I repeat. Only water is water.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As you can see, this is a highly controversial topic. I did some research on this myself... albeit unscientific... Anyway, the majority of what I found suggested that the body is able to convert and use water in any form... Clearly, soft drinks, coffee, energy drinks all have things that are better left outside of the body, but from a straight water perspective, it seems that they do the job.Only my opinion... Good luck!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again i also drink the HIGH OCTANE coffee... Why drink coffee if not for the caffeine in my opinion. But I also drink about 4L of water a day on top of that..
  • beanmi73
    beanmi73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Many days, if it were not for coffee, I'd get no water at all. I'm trying to up my water intake so I started adding lemon or cucumber or mint to my glass to give it a subtle taste (other than water - blah!). I also make myself drink a glass of water in the a.m. before my coffee.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It's not a claim, it's a fact. Caffeine is a scientifically proven diuretic and it will most certainly dehydrate you if that is the only liquid you drink.

My rule, two glasses of water before one cup of coffee.

Does the diuretic effect of the coffee make your body expel more water than the water in said coffee?

I get most of my water from tea, coffee, coke zero and food. Only the food is decaffeinated!

Just in case you're wondering, I haven't died of dehydration yet!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of black coffee and I always drink more water at the same time. Yesterday I had 24 oz of coffee and 48 oz of water at work.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I count coffee as coffee and water as water. I don't think it does any good to count one thing as something else. It'd be like logging a banana when you ate a chocolate covered banana--some of the properties are the same, but there are enough differences.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't. Coffee, regardless of its caffeine content, is a diuretic.

Plus, it's coffee. In my book, coffee does not equal water. :smile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many will disagree... but, of course coffee counts as water! :smile: Coffee is made mostly of water. The human body has an amazing digestive system that is able to extract the water it needs from food and beverages alike (not just pure water).

Also... peer reviewed research has shown that the dehydrating effect of caffeine is vastly overstated in pop health/nutrition information.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again i also drink the HIGH OCTANE coffee... Why drink coffee if not for the caffeine in my opinion. But I also drink about 4L of water a day on top of that..

I think that's the basis of my question - I drink decaf 99.9% of the time, only drink caffeinated if there's not an alternative. No sugar, skim milk added (which I measure and count on my daily totals). I know that CAFFEINATED coffee is a diuretic but don't know whether the same effect is true of decaf.

EDIT: Found this on Wikipedia: "Contrary to popular belief, caffeine does not act as a diuretic when consumed in moderation (less than five cups a day or 500 to 600 milligrams), and does not lead to dehydration or to a water-electrolyte imbalance; current evidence suggests that caffeinated beverages contribute to the body's daily fluid requirements no differently from pure water.[43][44][45][46]"

So, I guess it's about quantity. And I am certainly under the five cups a day limit.

One thing's for sure, MFP has made me acutely aware of my lack of water consumption.