*Gulp*

Options
HDKay
HDKay Posts: 34 Member
Hi to all,

I'm new to this though sadly not to dieting, to sum it up I have previously done really well and dropped straight back to a decent weight after having my kids (who are now 10 and 7)
Then came divorce, retraining and a general laziness and I've somehow ended up as a size 16 (12st 6) with a big need to drop it all back off! I'm happier as a 10/12 and will add a picture of current weight when I can find on without a pint in my hand :-S

I've been back at the gym for almost a month now but fell off the diet wagon in a major way last weekend while decorating and managed to undo all my hard work (beer, burger, more beer, pizza and vodka!!) then was introduced to this lovely place as a better way to keep track!

Rather not add this to my facebook as I like to use that for college & work and don't feel quite so confidant sharing my hatred of my fat *kitten* with people I don't know so well!

Anyway Hello to all and any tips/diet/excersize advice will all be most welcome x

Replies

• Thoth8
    Thoth8 Posts: 107
    Options
    hey, adding you - good luck with your weight loss efforts! I'm also on a strict diet and working hard to maintain it.

As for falling off the bandwagon... no need to worry about it if it only happens once a week. In fact, cheat days help you lose fat quicker, as it resets your metabolism, keeping you away from any so-called plateaus. Though you might want to put a damper on the alcohol... since alcohol messes with all your hormones, and hormones are responsible for insuring your weight loss :-)
  • HDKay
    Options
    Us women folk are riddled with those pesky hormones, the alcohol make us level ;-)

Thanks for the add and I will keep in mind my cheat days and do plan to wave bye bye to the booze for some time to come, though I'm rather saddened by the loss of nice red wine
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've been back at the gym for almost a month now but fell off the diet wagon in a major way last weekend while decorating and managed to undo all my hard work (beer, burger, more beer, pizza and vodka!!) then was introduced to this lovely place as a better way to keep track!
    First, congratulations on pursuing a healthier life.

Next, you haven't undone all your hard work. Exercise is more than about calories lost. Here are just some of the benefits:
    Lower resting HR
    Improved cardiovascular system
    Improved lymbic system
    Improved cardiopulmonary system
    Increased bone density
    Increased VO2 Max
    Increased muscular endurance
    Higher max HR
    Increased recovery time
    Improved metabolism
    Improved flexibility
    Improved joint health
    Improved digestive system
    Improved nervous system
    Improved balance
    Improved coordination
    Improved motor control
    Improved concentration
    Improved reflexes
    Lower cholesterol
    Lower blood pressure

None of these were undone by a little food.

Ok, maybe the cholesterol went back up a tad. Other than that, the only thing undone was a tiny little bit of weight loss. I mean just how many calories did you eat over what you normally did? 1600? 3500? So 8 to 16 ounces. Whee. Back your exercise out of that, and it doesn't even equal half a pound.
  • Thoth8
    Thoth8 Posts: 107
    Options
    actually, a small wine glass of red wine (DRY) on your cheat day shouldn't do any harm. but it has to stay at one glass
  • HDKay
    Options

Ok, maybe the cholesterol went back up a tad. Other than that, the only thing undone was a tiny little bit of weight loss. I mean just how many calories did you eat over what you normally did? 1600? 3500? So 8 to 16 ounces. Whee. Back your exercise out of that, and it doesn't even equal half a pound.

I'm actually slightly afraid to work out how many.... beer is like my evil nemasis! The co-ordination took a massive turn after I last night realised that they gym does aquarobics and had to try and dance in water in time to eurovision pop which is by far the funniest and most enjoyable exercise I have ever done! First big fall off and now I have to publicly log I shall be to shamed to do it again, or at least until I sign of this year of college!
  • HDKay
    Options
    Hmmmm yet to work out how to do the "quotey thing" facebook has bred laziness!
  • HDKay
    Options
    actually, a small wine glass of red wine (DRY) on your cheat day shouldn't do any harm. but it has to stay at one glass

That there may pose the problem! I think a wave bye bye to the booze unless it falls on special circumstances
  • CouldBeTheLastChance
    CouldBeTheLastChance Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also am not new to dieting and am trying MFP again. When I went off the diet wagon it was ice cream, pizza and vodka. No red wine for me. Miss the vodka though.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • HDKay
    Options
    There is a bottle of Russian Standard that lives in my fridge for emergencies..... I think I may have to hide that from myself
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

In fact, cheat days help you lose fat quicker, as it resets your metabolism, keeping you away from any so-called plateaus.
    I have seen that mentioned before. Can you point me to an article or research paper? I haven't been able to find anything and am interested. Thanks :)