why do I feel I must do Cardio?

Options
ninav1980
ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
Im a cardio girl, never been into lifting, however, after joining MFP, it has come to my attention lifting is needed to get the results I want.

So I go in to my gym last week, do a couple of sets of this and that,legs and arms, finishing off with some abs and planks. Completely sweating, so I know im pushing myself, BUT, I leave feeling I didnt get a good work out. I am so trained to always, always get cardio in, translation, running my 3 miles. I fee like if I dont do my run, I havent had a complete workout. Does anyone feel the same? Should I make one day a cardio day and the next just weight training? or combine? thanks for the suggestions.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    do a couple of sets of this and that,legs and arms, finishing off with some abs and planks. Completely sweating, so I know im pushing myself, BUT, I leave feeling I didnt get a good work out.

I would suggest the "this and that" nature may have had something to do with it! If you start on a recognised lifting routine that includes big compound free weight moves and intelligent progression, you'll feel properly wiped out after a lifting session, once you start to learn the form and up the load. It's a different kind of wiped out to hardcore cardio, but you'll know it when you've done it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think most people start off that way. Why do you think that gyms have huge cardio areas? We are taught that cardio = weight loss. I know I was taught (by MFP, and other weight loss calculators) that I need to eat 1200 calories and do some kind of cardio to lose. I am like you, it does feel weird to not do cardio and I feel like I didn't work as hard if I skip it.

I never do the elliptical or any other cardio machines. I have learned that I love calisthenics and plyometrics. I still get my cardio in along with some minor strength so it's a full body workout. I love Insanity, so I do that 2-3 times a week and then weights 3 times a week. I find that I can't do them both on the same day. You're definitely not alone, it takes time to retrain your mind and body. If you would have told me to eat 1600 calories a day and not do cardio and I'd lose, I'd laugh at you.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    do a couple of sets of this and that,legs and arms, finishing off with some abs and planks. Completely sweating, so I know im pushing myself, BUT, I leave feeling I didnt get a good work out.

I would suggest the "this and that" nature may have had something to do with it! If you start on a recognised lifting routine that includes big compound free weight moves and intelligent progression, you'll feel properly wiped out after a lifting session, once you start to learn the form and up the load. It's a different kind of wiped out to hardcore cardio, but you'll know it when you've done it.

I didnt feel like typing out my entire workout, hence the "this and that"
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some good (and free) workout routines. Some incorporate cardio if that's what you like. This might help you get started with lifting with a routine like Jimmmer suggested, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I believe the point is that if you're doing a proper program with intelligent progression, you should be pretty much wiped the **** out. I can barely make it down the stairs and to my car after a good session. What program are you doing? You should definitely be hitting the big compound stuff if you want a proper workout. Accessory stuff is just that...accessory and extra. Can be important but not as important as your main lifts which should be big and heavy (relative).

That said, any good fitness regimen is going to incorporate both cardio and strength. I can't do cardio on my 3x weekly lifting days other than a walk in the park at lunch (I lift at night)...I lift too hard to do anything afterwards other than a nice mellow cool down. I do cardio on my non-lift days...usually just a 3 mile jog a couple days a week and some Tabata and HIIT on Wednesdays. On lift days, I do incorporate some strength conditioning with my lifts...i.e. pushing the sled or farmer's carries or something. Cardio is just weight lifting for the heart.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Fair enough!

Although, asking for opinions about the effectiveness of said routine is going to be more effective if you furnish us with details...... kinds of lifts, what kind of progression are you using, etc, etc.

Also, "arms and legs" rang alarm bells for me, because I had a mental image of isolation-type exercises.......
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for you anyway... no real reason to avoid it.

It's a different sort of workout, but if it's one you enjoy/prefer you should try to work it in. Don't see anything wrong with what you're doing and if you have the time to run 2-3 miles (10-30 minutes?) after a workout without compromising your recovery e.g. still lifting the same or increasing weights, not injuring yourself, etc., then go for it.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just read from both Jillian Michaels and Chalene Johnson - two of the topmost fitness gurus for women that weight lifting is the key - lean muscle continues to burn calories even after the workout. HOWEVER you should not do the same body parts two days in a row. So day one do legs and abs, day 2 arms and back. Heavy weights, less repetitions - reaching fatigue at 10 - 12 reps. Make sure you have 2 rest days a week, and use your cardio as warmup and your static stretches as cool down. You WILL see a difference! You can definitely do your cardio on your rest days if you want - its the weight lifting that needs rests - tearing down muscle fibers then giving them a chance to regenerate.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you feel like your lifting workouts aren't challenging enough, it's because you aren't lifting heavy enough. I finish 3 sets of hip thrusts and am not sure I'll be able to walk, much less finish the rest of my workout.

If you like running or if improving your conditioning is a major goal, then keep running. But if you're doing it because you think it's the best path to fat loss ... it isn't. You just need a calorie deficit and enough strength training and protein intake to maintain your lean body mass. Fat loss is currently my primary goal, followed by strength gains, and conditioning is third on the list. So I do about an hour per week total of HIIT for cardio, and the rest of my time is devoted to lifting heavy stuff, eating like a boss, and getting a lot of sleep. Your program should be based on your goals.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way. I have to get a little cardio in every day or I just don't feel complete. On days that I lift, I will use the cardio as my warmup. I'll usually do 20 minutes or so on an elliptical or treadmill, then when my HR is up and my muscles are loose, I'll hit the weights. It seems to work for me and gives me a little extra boost for my lifting days.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can run 3 miles a day and do heavy lifting as well. It's not that big a deal to do both.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

^^ exactly! I started Strong Lifts 5x5 a couple months ago. I began with just the bar and have progressed to what I now consider fooking heavy (at least for me). After yesterday's workout of squats, bench press and barbell rows, my arms were so "wiped out" I could barely lift them to pet the cat. Today I am still somewhat fatigued and sore.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Maybe because the high you get from cardio is different to the sense of achievement from lifting?

I don't know about you but I feel great when I run (jog) 3 miles! You understand that for the results you want you need to lift, cardio is now just an optional extra that you really like. If you have enough energy and time keep doing it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The mechanism by which the heart rate is elevated and you get a sweat on while strength training is different to that in cardio, and it's that feeling you miss (plus the runner's high if you push yourself hard enough). Adding in some cardio won't undo all your strength training. Do it not because you "need" to but because you love it and it's awesome for your cardiovascular health.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am so trained to always, always get cardio in, translation, running my 3 miles. I fee like if I dont do my run, I havent had a complete workout.

This is probably the key. If you have been brought up with a mindset that requires cardio then even if you've completed a physically complete workout, you may mentally feel incomplete and your upbringing leaves a nagging sensation that you've come up short if you haven't gone for a run.

Myself, I'm in the "it doesn't hurt to do both" camp. I usually have both a resistance / calisthenics workout and a cardio session in the same day.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I would suggest that if you feel like your lifting workouts aren't challenging enough, it's because you aren't lifting heavy enough. I finish 3 sets of hip thrusts and am not sure I'll be able to walk, much less finish the rest of my workout.

If you like running or if improving your conditioning is a major goal, then keep running. But if you're doing it because you think it's the best path to fat loss ... it isn't. You just need a calorie deficit and enough strength training and protein intake to maintain your lean body mass. Fat loss is currently my primary goal, followed by strength gains, and conditioning is third on the list. So I do about an hour per week total of HIIT for cardio, and the rest of my time is devoted to lifting heavy stuff, eating like a boss, and getting a lot of sleep. Your program should be based on your goals.

this pretty much sums up my thinking.....
    "But if you're doing it because you think it's the best path to fat loss ... it isn't. "

thanks for the tips!
  • ninav1980
    Options
    The mechanism by which the heart rate is elevated and you get a sweat on while strength training is different to that in cardio, and it's that feeling you miss (plus the runner's high if you push yourself hard enough). Adding in some cardio won't undo all your strength training. Do it not because you "need" to but because you love it and it's awesome for your cardiovascular health.

thanks!
  • ninav1980
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys

My plan is to do my run prior to my lifting, not after,so that I have enough strength to do everything I want to do!! This is sure to get me in tip top shape

excited about this. Cant wait to start seeing results!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I think you will find a way to incorporate BOTH in to your Workout. As long as you enjoy Both, why Eliminate one of them?
    It would be like saying you can have only One kind of Snack. You wouldn't do that, so why limit yourself to Just One Kind of Exercise (Just My Opinion)