Is there such a thing as unhealthy calories???

Options
So I've just had a bowl of ice cream wit chocolate sauce on top. :-0 I no sounds calorific doesn't it?! But I've saved up the calories during the day so I could have the ice cream after my dinner. But my question is :- is there such a thing as unhealthy calories?? As in 100 calories in chocolate is worse than 100 calories in strawberries?? Or is it all jus the same?!?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There's such a thing as unhealthy food. Calories are energy.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    n o its just healthy choices.............
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    What’s more important, what you eat or how much you eat? Dietitians are often asked this question: Are all calories created equal?

Good?
    Yes, calories are calories whether they come from carrots or cookies but that’s not the end of the story. Foods are diverse and offer more than just calories so to truly evaluate the quality of calories, consider their nutrient density.

“Good” calories are nutrient-dense, which means you get the most bang for your calorie buck. For example, compare 100 calories of soda to 100 calories of milk. Calories from soda provide sugar and that’s just about all. That same number of calories from milk provide protein, calcium and vitamins A and D – therefore, the milk is a more nutrient-dense food.

But even the most nutrient-dense foods can get us into trouble. Peanut butter, olive oil and avocados are high in heart-healthy fats but the calories can stack up quickly – here’s where portion control is key.

Bad?
    “Bad” calories tend to score low in the nutrient department and eating too much of them can negatively affect health. Foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol can lead to heart disease and a diet overflowing with sugary foods isn’t good for your waistline. That said, ALL foods can be included in a healthy diet as long the majority are “good.” So enjoy the chocolate, cookies or occasional fried treat, just be smart about how much and how often you indulge and always remember that portion control is key.

Bottom Line: In the grand scheme of a healthy diet, it does matter where your calories come from. Opt for sensible portions of mostly nutrient-dense foods so you can give your body what it needs. This will leave some room for the less healthy foods that you love to eat.

Tell Us: What’s your take on good and bad calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your macro levels and getting enough nutrients in your day a bit of ice cream sounds like a great idea.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your macro levels and getting enough nutrients in your day a bit of ice cream sounds like a great idea.

^^ This. Sounds like you planned well. Enjoy.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Pfffft, life would be sad without ever eating ice cream again.

Just make sure that you get enough nutrients from the rest of your stuff.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would call it unhealthy calories, however, calories like sugar calories are what you hear people refer to as "empty calories". Basically they give you a momentary feeling of being full, but it doesn't last long because of the sugar spike they cause in your system.

If you are feeling satisfied, and have allowed for a treat then I say go for it! You deserve it now and again :wink:
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For purposes of losing weight, calories are pretty much calories... However for overall health eating foods that are calorie dense and micronutrient deficient is not a great idea... If you have an occasional treat and you have had lots of fruits and veggies high in phytochemicals and micronutrients then don't sweat it... If you need more vitamins and minerals then eat those instead. I do fruit smoothies with protein powder instead of ice cream now... I enjoy them equally and yet its clearly better for my overall health.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    While, I think we should let ourselves splurge once in awhile with ice cream or whatever our craving is...
    While it does matter what your goals are, there are definitely differences in calories...
    So many people are overfed but still under-nutritioned (yes, I'm pretty sure I made that word up)
    Imagine 2 different people:

Person 1 eats their recommended daily calories from fresh, unprocessed food, lots of veggies and fruit, etc.
    Person 2 eats the same amount of calories but instead, gets them from fast food, ice cream, processed foods etc.

Both people may still experience weight loss if they are eating less than they are expending each day but person 1 is absolutely healthier based on what they ate, not just how much of it.

So figure out what you want to do; simply lose weight or become healthier?
    Either way, don't ignore occasional cravings once in awhile...if you REALLY want ice cream, eat it and don't feel bad about it! Daily cravings, probably not such a good idea but I'm sure you get the idea :)
    Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What’s more important, what you eat or how much you eat? Dietitians are often asked this question: Are all calories created equal?

Good?
    Yes, calories are calories whether they come from carrots or cookies but that’s not the end of the story. Foods are diverse and offer more than just calories so to truly evaluate the quality of calories, consider their nutrient density.

“Good” calories are nutrient-dense, which means you get the most bang for your calorie buck. For example, compare 100 calories of soda to 100 calories of milk. Calories from soda provide sugar and that’s just about all. That same number of calories from milk provide protein, calcium and vitamins A and D – therefore, the milk is a more nutrient-dense food.

But even the most nutrient-dense foods can get us into trouble. Peanut butter, olive oil and avocados are high in heart-healthy fats but the calories can stack up quickly – here’s where portion control is key.

Bad?
    “Bad” calories tend to score low in the nutrient department and eating too much of them can negatively affect health. Foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol can lead to heart disease and a diet overflowing with sugary foods isn’t good for your waistline. That said, ALL foods can be included in a healthy diet as long the majority are “good.” So enjoy the chocolate, cookies or occasional fried treat, just be smart about how much and how often you indulge and always remember that portion control is key.

Bottom Line: In the grand scheme of a healthy diet, it does matter where your calories come from. Opt for sensible portions of mostly nutrient-dense foods so you can give your body what it needs. This will leave some room for the less healthy foods that you love to eat.

Your copy pastas get more ridiculous each time, labeling foods or calories good or bad with no context or dosage is just silly, with the possible exception of synthetic trans fats
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Calorie = Unit of energy

Nutrition is a completely different story. Ice cream with chocolate sauce can easily be incorporated into a healthy, balanced diet...just depends on what the rest of your day looked like. Did you hit all of your macros...did you get all of your vitamins and minerals?

I frequently have "unhealthy calories" from beer and wine...but I've gotten my nutrition in for the day and I like a good buzz in the evening.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Calorie = Unit of energy

Nutrition is a completely different story. Ice cream with chocolate sauce can easily be incorporated into a healthy, balanced diet...just depends on what the rest of your day looked like. Did you hit all of your macros...did you get all of your vitamins and minerals?

I frequently have "unhealthy calories" from beer and wine...but I've gotten my nutrition in for the day and I like a good buzz in the evening.

This!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just eaten glace soya ice cream with strawberries and chopped nuts! Heaven! I consider it partly healthy so don't feel bad , plus earned a lot of exercise cals today!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Of course there are unhealthy calories. When excessive to the point of causing one to gain too much fat, calories are bad.

And there are unhealthy calorie sources, but that can vary from person to person based on the rest of your diet. Strawberries are a "healthy food", but you would not be healthy if all your calories came from strawberries.

If, on average or in general, you are not overeating and you are getting balanced nutrition, then it's all good.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would call it unhealthy calories, however, calories like sugar calories are what you hear people refer to as "empty calories". Basically they give you a momentary feeling of being full, but it doesn't last long because of the sugar spike they cause in your system.

If you are feeling satisfied, and have allowed for a treat then I say go for it! You deserve it now and again :wink:

Ditto
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Actually eat your ice cream but yes there is a difference A documentary that explains it well is Hungry for Change. Its very insightful and good at explaining what happens when you eat processed foods.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

^ This....

Ditto
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I try to get the most bang for my buck from calories. 100 calories of chocolate syrup aren't innately bad. But what else of value did you get from those calories? Not much. If you have 100 calories of strawberries, you are getting also getting about 500 mg of potassium, 7 g of fiber, 2 g of protein and lots of vitamin C.

Now...I say I try to get the most out of my calories, but that's not to say I never eat "empty" calories. Those unhealthy calories can be good for the soul. It's just that we can't survive on them. While exercising, we must take in a certain level of nutrients. If we are dieting as well, we have less nutrients available because we have decreased our food intake. It makes "healthy calories" all the more important.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Good?

Bad?

^^^ This! Awesome response.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No,but remember in moderation....