I am starving... all the time

Options
I am not eating at my 12 - 1400 goal, I'm always over - because I am SO hungry!

I'm working out, cardio, strength, stuff targeting abs, etc... I have added strength most recently, and I don't mean heavy lifting, just little weights until my toddler like upper body strength reaches elementary school :) I'm not gaining, but I'm obviously not losing.

Any ideas? Should I succumb to the hunger and eat for 2 days then go back to it? SHould I continue to deny it as much as I can?

Thanks!
Me :)

PS If it makes any difference in the universe, I'm peri menopausal (and it really kinda sucks)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    More info would be helpful - can you make your diary public? Also, do you eat back exercise cals? How long & how often do you exercise, and how long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • princesssvicky14
    Options
    Maybe your eating to little calories because your exercising so much that your burning all the calories off and left with no energy?
    Just a thought as I was the same at one point and upped my calories and re-assesed my calorie intake on here and it re-estimated it.

You should never be starving on a diet or reduced calories. Try drinking more water to fill yourself up in case your dehydrated.

:-)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u need more calories
  • lal2600
    lal2600 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't just go by the calories but look at what is in them. I think you need more protein than what this site shows for your totals. Try eating a little more protein and see if that helps. Just make sure to not go over on your fats while doing so.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Are you eating empty calories, stuff that will leave you hungry in a short while? Are you eating enough protein? I eat back a small portion of my workouts. Eat more veggies & drink more water.
  • msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    So I have:

2 egg white muffin nests (from skinny taste dot com) and an apple for breakfast.
    Salad for snack.
    Honey Roasted Turkey sandwich on a sandwich thin with mustard and a slice of swiss cheese, veggie (usually cucumbers or bell pepper), fruit (usually a berry of some form)
    Beef Jerky 90 cal pack for snack
    Dinner is usually a protein with a fresh steamed veggie and a small salad.

If I need more snacks, I'll do a granola bar, a baby bel cheese or fresh veggies.

This is Mon - Fri for sure as I work. On weekends, its usually close to the same, but we may have a fish taco from Rubios or a salad from somewhere for lunch. Less often, we'll get Carne Asada Fries, but that's a special treat kind of thing!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I get this. It has nothing to do with how much or how little you eat. I am always hungry too. Two minutes after a satisfying meal I am hungry. I'm never not hungry. I can always eat more. When people say "No thanks, I'm not hungry" I'm like, What does that have to do with anything?

So, if anyone has a real answer on how to deal with this, I would love to hear it.
  • di819
    di819 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have this same problem too. I deal with it by eating better things like unlimited carrots or grapes. Have something to turn too seems to be helping somewhat without blowing the wad.
    How does one re-assess their calorie intake? I feel that could be now that I'm running more but not more often.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world :sad:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating protein, carbs and fat. Your body needs all of them to function. I tried a low carb diet and was always hungry. You can't cut out or severely cut any of these for any length of time.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try zig-zagging calories. My calories (I don’t include any exercise cals, I just figured them into the gross amount) go something like this:

Mon: 1240
    Tues: 1563
    Wed: 1407
    Thurs: 1863
    Fri: 1563
    Sat: 1730
    Sun: 1563

More or less like that. That way, I am only eating like a bird on Monday/Wednesday, and then the rest of the week I can eat an adequate amount. Zig-zagging helped me break my plateau, and I can eat more without feeling so guilty! I work out about an hour a day, seven days a week.

I am not very hungry anymore.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your exercise calories back. You're probably netting way too low, so that's why you're hungry. Also, what is your TDEE? Maybe the 1200-1400 cals a day is too big of a deficit for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Maybe your weekly goal is too agressive. Check out your BMR ....basal metabolic rate (these are the calories needed if you were in a coma) .... you should be eating these calories PLUS exercise calories.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

Most likely your BMR is above 1200

MFP gives a lot of people 1200 .... because that is a low as the site will allow. MFP gives this (often) too small number because people want to lose "weight" quickly. If you can maintain a diet better on more calores .... then you should eat more calories. Speed (of weight loss) is not the most important factor. Sticking to it is much more important.

Too quick weight loss results in muscle loss ....less agressive is good.
  • msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    Okay, my TDEE is 2110 and my BMR is 1361... this is the part that has always confused me... how much do I eat?
  • colletteduck
    colletteduck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fiber is what works for me. Lots of fiber and a little protein with each meal. Also, I notice that I do much better with hunger when I vary my diet. It looks like you eat the same thing day in and day out. I know some people do that with great success, but I find myself to be more satisfied and less temped when I've had a varied diet throughout the week.

Good luck!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Okay, my TDEE is 2110 and my BMR is 1361... this is the part that has always confused me... how much do I eat?

If your BMR is 1361, eat AT LEAST 1361. 20% less than your TDEE is around 1900. That's a good goal. If you think "OMG, that's too many calories" you could always shoot for 1600 or so...
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Any of these suggestions could be the answer. You need to open your diary to allow anyone to offer informed advice, otherwise any advice is based on speculation and anecdotes. I have done 1200 calories and wasn't hungry
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Get your glucose levels checked if you are always hungry.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Open diary and we will help you, not judge you.
  • JudithEssex
    JudithEssex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of really informed opinions here. I would add that eating every 2 -3 hours has helped me a LOT. but, since the devil is in the details, and we can't see the details, why don't you visit a RD for one visit? Get some real professional advice.