Anorexia Recover Questions

Options

Replies

• Slash94
    Slash94 Posts: 36
    Options

Oh yeah definitely, i dont eat like that everyday, it was just this one day since basically i dont have anything in the house.

I know days like those. I hate it when I run out of good stuff. Eating disorders are a life time issue, or at least they have been for me. I'm very proud of you for seeking info on how to recover in a healthy way. Keep looking for help and info. You are on your way to healthy!:flowerforyou:

Thanks! You also made me feel tons better! Like I said I wont worry about the amount of sugar I eat since im trying to recover anyway. Today I feel like I ate tons of sugar, fruit, cookies, ice cream, cereal. lol Most of the snacks have lots of sugar but are high in calories so thats why i eat it to boost up my calories you know? Anyway, thanx again!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think right now, you should focus on getting calories in and once you are up to a healthy weight start focusing on the macros. Are you working with a dietician? If not, you should be. A dietician would be super beneficial for you right now and would tailor a healthy eating plan that will help you gain weight with the right foods. With being anorexic, you are probably vitamin deficient, so she can help you choose foods with the vitamins that you need, etc.

Good luck with your recovery. I, too, am trying to recover from an eating disorder. It's tough!
  • Slash94
    Options
    Pizza, cheeseburger? Those are just has bad as cookies and ice cream.. I think you shouldn't be worrying about how much fat is in your burger, make yourself a stir fry instead with lots of vegetables. Eat something healthy

"Healthy" is a relative term. I eat "healthy" every day, but still regularly eat chocolate and candy and takeout. There is nothing "bad" about pizza, burgers, cookies and ice cream. Nothing at all. Everything in moderation. Eating pizza, PB&Js and cheeseburgers in the same day does not sound moderate to me.

And I do agree 100% that you need to be eating more vegetables. Fill 1/2-2/3 of your plate with vegetables at every meal. It's almost impossible to crave junk when you're stuffed with broccoli.
    Problem about that is that like i said im recovering from anorexia and vegetables are low in calories and fill me up quick, so i need something higher in calories which is why i ask if too much fat and sugar is alright for anorexia recovery since basically everything thats healthy is low in calories.

Baked potatoes, avocado, nuts, seeds, peanut butter(100 cals a tbsp.), full fat dairy (cheese, greek yoghurt etc), wholegrain pasta... there are plenty of foods that will give you that calorie kick, that also contain some good nutrition. There is nothing wrong with having some treats each day, but you really also need to learn to get fats and calories from good, nutritious sources.
    An avocado is 200-250 calories and has a decent amount of fat. Nuts are great. 600 calories per 100g.
    And pizza is fine.

Right here, sorry but pizza, cheeseburger, ice cream and cookies all same day is not moderation. that is not termed healthy.. there are many ways to get your calories and fat other than junk food. ^^ Example right there. But yeh, better to speak to a dietician, garunteed she will recommend high fats/calories from "healthy" foods. ( THE ONES NOT SATURATED IN GREASE AND SIMPLE CARBS)

Thanx! Those are easy to eat in a meal but im talking about as in snacks, I dont think I want to eat an avocado as a snack you know? lol But im thinkin about eating granola bars or yogurt and crackers for snacks but saw that they contained lots of sugar so thats why i asked if eating too much sugar in a day is alright when recovering anorexia. I just want to get back to my normal weight and be healthy.
  • Slash94
    Options
    I think right now, you should focus on getting calories in and once you are up to a healthy weight start focusing on the macros. Are you working with a dietician? If not, you should be. A dietician would be super beneficial for you right now and would tailor a healthy eating plan that will help you gain weight with the right foods. With being anorexic, you are probably vitamin deficient, so she can help you choose foods with the vitamins that you need, etc.

Good luck with your recovery. I, too, am trying to recover from an eating disorder. It's tough!

Yeah, once I get back to my normal weight ill be worrying about all that. And some people told me that they're doctors said that sugar doesnt matter right now only that they're getting enough calories from anything. Thanx for the help btw!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Pizza, cheeseburger? Those are just has bad as cookies and ice cream.. I think you shouldn't be worrying about how much fat is in your burger, make yourself a stir fry instead with lots of vegetables. Eat something healthy

"Healthy" is a relative term. I eat "healthy" every day, but still regularly eat chocolate and candy and takeout. There is nothing "bad" about pizza, burgers, cookies and ice cream. Nothing at all. Everything in moderation. Eating pizza, PB&Js and cheeseburgers in the same day does not sound moderate to me.

And I do agree 100% that you need to be eating more vegetables. Fill 1/2-2/3 of your plate with vegetables at every meal. It's almost impossible to crave junk when you're stuffed with broccoli.
    Problem about that is that like i said im recovering from anorexia and vegetables are low in calories and fill me up quick, so i need something higher in calories which is why i ask if too much fat and sugar is alright for anorexia recovery since basically everything thats healthy is low in calories.

OP: this is why you need to take advice from a medical professional who is aware of all your medical history. People on the internet are not qualified to advise about stuff like this. Also, you can discuss your fears about fat and sugar with them.

everyone else: this proves that healthy is relative and context dependent. What's good advice for an obese person trying to lose fat is *totally* different to what's good advice for someone who's recovering from starvation!!!
  • Slash94
    Options

OP: this is why you need to take advice from a medical professional who is aware of all your medical history. People on the internet are not qualified to advise about stuff like this. Also, you can discuss your fears about fat and sugar with them.

everyone else: this proves that healthy is relative and context dependent. What's good advice for an obese person trying to lose fat is *totally* different to what's good advice for someone who's recovering from starvation!!!

Thanx, I dont have any medical issues or have fear of fat or sugar btw, I already been to the doctor and everything is fine except for the weight and trust me I love fat and sugar!
  • Slash94
    Options
    Btw another question, is it necessary to count calories, (Not to lose weight) Or should i just keep on eating?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Btw another question, is it necessary to count calories, (Not to lose weight) Or should i just keep on eating?

This site is good for monitoring nutrition, but please be aware that it is easy to let the calorie counting become a trigger for obsessive food tracking and can actually become counterproductive for recovery. I hope you take any advice here with a grain of salt and always refer to your health professional for any real concerns. Most of us are not experienced enough or familiar with your particular situation to offer detailed advice.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
  • Slash94
    Options

This site is good for monitoring nutrition, but please be aware that it is easy to let the calorie counting become a trigger for obsessive food tracking and can actually become counterproductive for recovery. I hope you take any advice here with a grain of salt and always refer to your health professional for any real concerns. Most of us are not experienced enough or familiar with your particular situation to offer detailed advice.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
    Thanx! So what your saying is that its not necessary?
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that I'm so proud of you for getting help and working so hard to get healthy!! :heart:

Personally, as a former ana, I wish I'd had MFP to help me count calories during recovery. I basically wrecked my metabolism more because I had no idea what calories I was eating -- when I started using MFP I found that I had been eating way, WAY less than I thought I was (like 500 -600 calories during weekdays), then going nuts with binges or comfort foods on the weekend and eating close to 3000 or more some days! Crazy!!

My recommendation would be to set your MFP profile to gain however many pounds you want a week and try to eat as close to that as possible. A little under is okay, but make sure it's not under by something like 500+. Try to be consistent though. NOT 1200 some days and 2200 others.

And I don't think you should be worrying about macros and stuff until you're at a healthy weight. I find it very triggering to count things like that, and I've been out of recovery (and into obesity >_>) for years. Concentrate on getting to a normal weight for now, then worry about eating a little healthier. If counting calories gets too triggery for you, feel free to drop that too, as long as you're sure you're not undereating.

This is all just my opinion though, so please consult your doctor if you have any more questions!! :)
  • Slash94
    Options
    First, let me say that I'm so proud of you for getting help and working so hard to get healthy!! :heart:

Personally, as a former ana, I wish I'd had MFP to help me count calories during recovery. I basically wrecked my metabolism more because I had no idea what calories I was eating -- when I started using MFP I found that I had been eating way, WAY less than I thought I was (like 500 -600 calories during weekdays), then going nuts with binges or comfort foods on the weekend and eating close to 3000 or more some days! Crazy!!

My recommendation would be to set your MFP profile to gain however many pounds you want a week and try to eat as close to that as possible. A little under is okay, but make sure it's not under by something like 500+. Try to be consistent though. NOT 1200 some days and 2200 others.

And I don't think you should be worrying about macros and stuff until you're at a healthy weight. I find it very triggering to count things like that, and I've been out of recovery (and into obesity >_>) for years. Concentrate on getting to a normal weight for now, then worry about eating a little healthier. If counting calories gets too triggery for you, feel free to drop that too, as long as you're sure you're not undereating.

This is all just my opinion though, so please consult your doctor if you have any more questions!! :)

Thanx! But we cant count calories on everything we eat since sometimes I do my own cooking and my parents do the cooking and some foods dont have the nutritional label on them.So i was just wondering if it was really necessary to count, but if it isnt then ill just eat lots of the high calories stuff in my meals like avocados and peanut butter and nuts so ill know that im getting enough calories. lol Thanx again for the help!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Thanx, I dont have any medical issues or have fear of fat or sugar btw, I already been to the doctor and everything is fine except for the weight and trust me I love fat and sugar!

Anorexia IS a medical issue, and recovering from malnutrition is a medical issue too (yes if you're underweight from anorexia then that is malnutirtion). You need more specific advice than just "eat more"
  • Slash94
    Options

Anorexia IS a medical issue, and recovering from malnutrition is a medical issue too (yes if you're underweight from anorexia then that is malnutirtion). You need more specific advice than just "eat more"

Well yeah of course lol my bad
  • neandermagnon
    Options

see a dietician who knows your medical history if your doctor can't give you more advice than that. don't ask on the internet. Even people who've recovered from anorexia themselves, their situation may be different to yours. To some extent the nutritional advice needs to be tailored to you and your situation. (though of course the advice from those who've successfully recovered from anorexia may be very beneficial to you... but i'd suggest getting that after seeing a dietician)
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Back to your original question, don't worry too much about your sodium. It doesn't hang around in the body so if you are drinking lots of water, you should be fine.

If tracking your calorie intake isn't a trigger, I'd say, yes, track them. Knowledge is power. And just as it's a motivation for others to lose weight, it can be motivation for you to gain weight by tracking them. If you are having a home-cooked meal, you can still make a pretty good estimate of what's in it and plug in the parts or you can go to the recipe section of the food entries and put it exactly, plus the number of portions. I've found that very useful for homemade meals you eat regularly.

Good for you for overcoming your eating issues and all the very best in keeping it up.
  • Slash94
    Options

see a dietician who knows your medical history if your doctor can't give you more advice than that. don't ask on the internet. Even people who've recovered from anorexia themselves, their situation may be different to yours. To some extent the nutritional advice needs to be tailored to you and your situation. (though of course the advice from those who've successfully recovered from anorexia may be very beneficial to you... but i'd suggest getting that after seeing a dietician)

Thanx for the help, I AM eating a lot more btw, but without counting so i just make sure I eat lots of high calorie food like avocado, nuts, and peanut butter which I love, i can probably eat a whole jar of peanut butter!
  • Slash94
    Options
    Back to your original question, don't worry too much about your sodium. It doesn't hang around in the body so if you are drinking lots of water, you should be fine.

If tracking your calorie intake isn't a trigger, I'd say, yes, track them. Knowledge is power. And just as it's a motivation for others to lose weight, it can be motivation for you to gain weight by tracking them. If you are having a home-cooked meal, you can still make a pretty good estimate of what's in it and plug in the parts or you can go to the recipe section of the food entries and put it exactly, plus the number of portions. I've found that very useful for homemade meals you eat regularly.

Good for you for overcoming your eating issues and all the very best in keeping it up.
    Thanx! And yeah i do drink lots of water like maybe 5 and more water bottles a day and yeah my parents do the cooking, the only time i would cook is if im home alone. So basically I cant count calories except for when i eat stuff that have a nutritional label. Thanx again for the help!
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The people insisting on healthy foods and only veggies and things like that are usually the ones that only eat 1200 calories a day and are in no better place to tell an anorexic to eat than anyone else.

All I can say is listen to your doctor. Secondly for macros I generally have Carbohydrates set to 50%, Protein 25%, and Fat 25%. Of course I am trying to LOSE weight.. so that may not be helpful to you.

I really wouldn't obsess for now. If you have a set amount of calories you are looking to eat, just eat what you like and what makes you WANT to eat. I think that is most important for now.
  • Slash94
    Options
    The people insisting on healthy foods and only veggies and things like that are usually the ones that only eat 1200 calories a day and are in no better place to tell an anorexic to eat than anyone else.

All I can say is listen to your doctor. Secondly for macros I generally have Carbohydrates set to 50%, Protein 25%, and Fat 25%. Of course I am trying to LOSE weight.. so that may not be helpful to you.

I really wouldn't obsess for now. If you have a set amount of calories you are looking to eat, just eat what you like and what makes you WANT to eat. I think that is most important for now.
    Thanks! Vegetables and fruits are too low calorie and would pretty much fill you up quick, whenever i have a fruit like an apple or banana ill always eat it with peanut butter.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but I disagree with everyone who has already posted.
    In recovery, in particular at the beginning, you need to eat a lot of calories. Your digestive system isn't going to be able to cope if you're eating loads of vegetables and high fibre foods. Processed, high fat, high sugar foods are easily digested and won't make you feel overly full. I think it's great that you're willing to give 100% to recovery and not have 'fear foods'.
    Do not get hung up on macros or sugar or anything like that - just as your doctor says they don't matter in recovery . Just listen to what you're craving and eat it. If you want more then eat more.

Yep. Your focus should be on hitting your calorie goal. I know it can be difficult because calories have been the enemy. But, hit that and worry about macros and micros later. After you put on some weight then I am certain your doctor will start a dialogue about adding things to hit different macros and micros. But, right now that isn't even appropriate.