Not enough carbs, too much sugar

Options
I am having trouble with the goals set by the app. Every day I have calories left over but I am finding it hard to eat anything suitable. Here's an example. Today I have 67 calories to fill but no sugar, protein or fat left, only 36 carbs. This is common most days, what can I eat that has carbs but no sugar, fat or protein (I looked at toast but that has fat, even without butter).

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with the goals set by the app. Every day I have calories left over but I am finding it hard to eat anything suitable. Here's an example. Today I have 67 calories to fill but no sugar, protein or fat left, only 36 carbs. This is common most days, what can I eat that has carbs but no sugar, fat or protein (I looked at toast but that has fat, even without butter).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS087eisXOBYSUWlev_z4Sha5yPDPuKHO8pZw-01oGqmSwZX3-C
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can arrange your macros (carbs/protein/fat) any way you like...MFP's goals tend to be low on the protein side and high on the carb side. Also, the recomendation for sugar is based on the American Heart Associations recommendation for added/refined sugar. if you eat fruit, you'll always be over...it is irrelevant unless you have a medical condition that warrants tracking it.

Just eat...your calories are what's primarily important right now...as you get used to things you can start managing your macro-nutrients more efficiently.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The only macros that I actively track and have goals ranges for are:
    Calories
    Protein
    Carbs
    Fat
    Fiber (so that I can calculate my net carbs)

I dont even look at sodium, etc.
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So on 1200 calories a day, what would you suggest for ratios? I do tend to snack on things like ham and cheese but was worried about fat and protein intake
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So on 1200 calories a day, what would you suggest for ratios? I do tend to snack on things like ham and cheese but was worried about fat and protein intake

First, I would recommend checking how many calories you need - 1200 is the base level MFP puts for (I think) all women. This calculator will help you set your intake based on your age, height, weight, gender, and goals.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm eating ~2,000 calories a day and losing weight.
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options

Are you using the default macros in MFP? I customize it based on my current goal. MFP has some weird default value that are not suitable for most people goals.

Ham is filled with sodium and is a pretty bad food and cheese is usually loaded with fat. For someone looking to lose weight there is a lot of other option like : Chicken, pork tenderloin, tofu, beans and lentill, turkey, fish, tilapia and tuna, salmon, cottage chesse, eggs and eggs white,etc...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP settings are default settings.... you can change as needed. Your setting depends upon your goals. Body builders want one setting, diabetics want another, etc.

Re: sugar .... MFP counts natural and added sugars the same. Some people (myself included) do not track sugar (I'm not diabetic). Fruit is good for you, it has fiber and lots of nutrients.

Don't worry about fat .... some people have rather high fat settings (Paleo) & still lose weight.

1200 calories is a small number ..... you might check out your BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you were in a coma

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    2dvmxc3.jpg
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on protein. MFP's default is laughably low.
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat much over 1200 anyway. If i do, i feel bloated and too full. Im not fat (uk size 8) but my body fat is 21% so I want to get this down to below 18%. I'm quite short so any fat on my frame looks fat.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The macros are only a guideline. Set the goals how you would like and to what YOU feel you can acheive and maintain.

If you want to stick to leaner meats, fruits and veggies, eggs, nuts, and limit your grains... then do a 40 protein 40 fat 20 carb. If you want freedom to have higher carbs... then do 40 carb, 30 protein, 30 fat. These are just examples.

The most important thing is that you're not going over your calories.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going over on protein. MFP's default is laughably low.

Oh.. and I highly agree with this!!! The defaults are silly.
  • ihopethisworks
    Options
    Potatoes and pasta. :-)