healthy breakfast ideas

Options
bug1106
bug1106 Posts: 31 Member
hi there! I am looking to get on board with healthy dieting etc and in need of healthy breakfast ideas. This seems to be the meal i struggle with the most. Most of the time i go to mickey d's and dunkin doughnuts, but i'm making changes so any ideas will be helpful:)

Replies

• bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Egg white omelet. Quick to make, takes me on average 10 minutes from prepare to cleaning dishes. I eat if I can otherwise wrap it up in two slices of toast and eat on go or after gym.

Other options are hard boiled eggs, cook them while you go do other stuff, after done consume at max 1-2 yolks to stay well in macro range. Top with salsa, cheese, pepper, whatever you want. I try mine with medium salsa and some black pepper, tastes so good.

Oatmeal is also another option, have a stash at work anytime I feel hungry.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Depends on the morning. If I am rushed I have hard boiled eggs, coffee and a banana. If I have time I toast a whole wheat English muffin and top it with turkey bacon or sausage and egg whites. Sometimes I will have steel cut oats in the crockpot that I cook on the weekend with apples and cinnamon. If I worked out at 5am, I usually have a protein shake out of convenience. Options are endless.
  • kristinc1027
    Options
    You can save a lot of money and calories by eating at home, or preparing meals to take on the go. I love oatmeal with peanut butter and a sliced banana. You can also do a pb&j version by adding a all-fruit jam into the mix. For an easy breakfast to take on the go try overnight oats- combine 1/2 each of greek yogurt, old fashioned oats, and skim milk; mix and seal in a container and refrigerate overnight; in the morning stir in some peanut butter and fresh fruit. My biggest tip is to ALWAYS incorporate some sort of protein. It will definitely hold you over. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! Good luck :bigsmile:
  • Bells89
    Bells89 Posts: 19
    Options
    greek or regular yogurt (vanilla or plain) with fresh berries

scrambled egg whites with reduced fat bacon

whole grain crisp bread with oven roasted turkey breast and veggies (sliced cucumber or tomatoes)

a couple of boiled eggs and fresh fruit (cantaloupe, mango, bananas, apples or whatever you like)

special K cereal with almond milk

a smoothie made with yogurt and any types of fruits (bananas, strawberries, peaches etc.) or veggies (kale, spinach etc.)

oatmeal with fresh fruit or berries

Those are just some of the things that I usually eat for breakfast. They're not very high in calorie so you'll need to fill up within a few hours. Although I would recommend eating eggs as they keep me full for a long time. I'm no pro by any means but hopefully it'll give you some inspiration!
  • KayMay66
    KayMay66 Posts: 3
    Options
    I had this problem when I started too. If you like the 'heartier' items that you can get at fast food restaurants, I'd recommend making your own at home with healthier ingredients! Two of my favorites are breakfast bagels and breakfast burritos. I make them with a whole wheat bagel or tortilla, then fill it with scrambled egg whites (I buy a carton of liquid egg whites at the grocery store so I don't waste a part of an egg), add a little bit of reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese, salsa, green onion and 50% less fat turkey bacon! It is DELICIOUS, filling, fast and only around 250-300 calories. I also like Greek yogurt with granola or oatmeal with sliced bananas. I hope this helps!
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you don't have to have an "on-the-go" breakfast then the sky is the limit. There are so many things you can fix, like... eggs on english muffin, toast with peanut butter and banana, yogurt with fruit, oatmeal, earlier prepared protein bars, bacon.... I personally eat greek yogurt with oatmeal every weekday morning. Weekends I eat eggs or an english muffin with peanut butter or banana or both. Or what ever I feel like fixing.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I need something portable to eat in my car on my way to work. Those extra 10 mins of sleep are important!

- peeled banana wrapped in a paper towel
    and
    - emerald nuts breakfast on-to-go - several different flavors
    - protein bar that's about 200 cals and 8-10 gm of protein

- peanut butter and banana sandwich
    - panera grilled banan sandwich https://mypanera.panerabread.com/recipes/recipe/grilled-banana-sandwiches/
    - do a search on MFP for Zuchini tots
    - also search on MFP for mini-breakfast quiche
  • caitlynelizabeth1013
    caitlynelizabeth1013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I rotate between:

1) 2 tbs large curd low fat cottage cheese with 4 tbs Strawberry Yoplait yogurt (from a tub to save money) dolloped on top. It sounds gross but it is really tasty and filling. only 100 calories

2) Thomas triple health 100 calorie english muffin with 2 tbs peanut butter split between the 2 halves. 290 calories. (High on the calorie end but the peanut butter keeps you full.)

3) 1 packet of the kroger/store brand strawberries and cream oatmeal. 140 calories. Oatmeal is the best thing to eat for breakfast. Has tons of fiber to keep you full.

One thing i do is to make sure i switch up my breakfast every week. Otherwise i get tired of it and then i don't eat and snack on stuff throughout the day. This is what I like to eat, hope some of it sounds good! :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, ignore everyone saying not to eat/limit eating egg yolks. The yolks are where all the good, nutritious stuff is, since it's what the baby bird would eat had the egg been fertilized. The fat and cholesterol aren't going to hurt you. Some studies suggest the fat in eggs may even be good for you, much like the fat in avocado is.

Eggs in any form are always a great option. My boyfriend loves scrambles with some turkey bacon, mushrooms, and sometimes some potatoes and cheese. Oatmeal is also awesome. Cereal is okay, as long as it's not super sugary. I like bran flakes with some fruit, maybe a little sugar, and almond milk. I usually have some turkey bacon with my cereal.

Beyond that, you can always premade breakfast burritos, breakfast egg muffins, etc and keep them in the freeze to heat and go in the morning. The internet has tons of recipes for that.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal (some great recipes online, Google it)

peanut butter on toast with a piece of fruit

puffed millet and milk with a little honey drizzled over it

frozen strawberry and fresh banana smoothie with a tablespoon of chia seeds and scoop vanilla protein powder

veggie omlette (partial or sans yolk)

...I also like to make ahead of time and freeze breakfast burritos with low cal tortillas, scrambled egg/whites, bacon or ham, a little cheese and salsa. But you can put whatever you like in them, the sky's the limit. Nuke it for a minute, wrap it in a napkin and go.
  • tatertotwithcheese
    tatertotwithcheese Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a few:

Scrambled egg wrap with avacado, tomato (whatever you like) - I use small 50 cal wraps

Greek Yogurt with Granola

Tera's Whey Protein Shake w/ skim milk (I like Vanilla bourbon) and maybe 5 walnuts

Whole wheat toast with almond butter

Make a batch of 'healthy muffins' and keep them in the freezer. Just pull one out and pop in it in the microwave for a quick breakfast. If you can afford the calories add some almond butter to it.

You can make your own egg mcmuffin at home much healthier with egg (egg white if you prefer), turkey or candian bacon. Tomato, avacado etc.

Hubby likes hard boiled eggs with a piece of canadain bacon and avacado. Add tomatoes if we have them on hand.

I try to get a good mix of protein, carbs and a bit of good fat and keep to 250-300 calories (including coffee).

I do hear that Mc D's Egg White delight thing is pretty good. An option in a pinch. DD also has a flatbread eggwhite that isnt horrible.

hope that helps
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Greek Gods Vanilla-Honey Yogurt with Cut up Grapes and Celery in it and a little cinnamon on top. Or toasted Bagel with cottage cheese and roasted tomatoe with basil on top. Or Peanut Butter Waffles. Or Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Fruit.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, ignore everyone saying not to eat/limit eating egg yolks. The yolks are where all the good, nutritious stuff is, since it's what the baby bird would eat had the egg been fertilized. The fat and cholesterol aren't going to hurt you. Some studies suggest the fat in eggs may even be good for you, much like the fat in avocado is.

Eggs in any form are always a great option. My boyfriend loves scrambles with some turkey bacon, mushrooms, and sometimes some potatoes and cheese. Oatmeal is also awesome. Cereal is okay, as long as it's not super sugary. I like bran flakes with some fruit, maybe a little sugar, and almond milk. I usually have some turkey bacon with my cereal.

Beyond that, you can always premade breakfast burritos, breakfast egg muffins, etc and keep them in the freeze to heat and go in the morning. The internet has tons of recipes for that.

While there is nothing inherently WRONG with egg yolks, (I eat them all the time) they are not necessarily a good choice to be eating a lot of is someone is watching their cholesterol, or are interested in more protein with fewer calories.

So cutting/limiting egg yolks isn't always a bad thing. Personally I can't tell much of a difference between a full egg vs. egg yolk omelette, so foregoing the yolks frees up calories for more BACON.

-1 egg yolk= about 1.5 extra slices of Fletchers thick cut bacon. No brainer for me. Bye bye, yolk! :laugh:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only have either a 450 cal protein smoothie or a 3 egg omelet with bacon and salsa.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hi there! I am looking to get on board with healthy dieting etc and in need of healthy breakfast ideas. This seems to be the meal i struggle with the most. Most of the time i go to mickey d's and dunkin doughnuts, but i'm making changes so any ideas will be helpful:)

I'm not a morning person .... I pack my breakfast the same way I pack my lunch. I look for protein and fiber.

Steel cut oats made ahead.... that way I just warm & go. Make them with milk (for protein) and some nuts (for fat) or chia seeds (for fiber) and it keeps me full.

High fiber cereal and nuts mixed with yogurt & berries. The dry ingredients go in a zip lock bag and the wet ingredients go in a large mug in the refrigerator. In the AM I can just throw this together & eat in the car

I'm not a egg fan ..... but many people will make breakfast burritos & freeze. Saute your veggies, add beaten eggs, pour in a baking dish & bake. Then you just cut into squares..... place on top of your tortilla, top with cheese, wrap up and freeze. Zap it in the microwave in the AM. A crustless quiche square would be the same idea.
  • bug1106
    bug1106 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am looking for tons of motivation. So whoever needs another friend add me:) I tend to get discouraged VERY often.