Quinoa

Options
laurafbo
laurafbo Posts: 3
So I keep hearing about quino and how it's better for you than rice.

What does everyone like to do with it?

Replies

• warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I have an unopened bag in my pantry begging me to experiment!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I cook it pretty much how I cook rice. Sometimes I steam it...sometimes I brown it in some oil and do a pilaf with onion and other veggies. I also make quinoa salads (google recipes). It has more nutritional value than white rice for sure, but also a bit more than brown or wild rice as well. Good veggie source of protein.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options

This is really good:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-quinoa-salad/
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I follow the directions on the back of the bag. Sometimes I add a little of 'Better Than Boullion' to add flavor, or I'll sautee onions, garlic, and some veggies before adding quinoa and water.

If you cook it plain, you can also mix in dressing or whatnot to it to make whatever flavor you want.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in stock to give it added flavor and it's very versatile like rice though a nuttier flavor. I've used quinoa in cold salads, as a hot side dish and as a hot main course. The cold texmex salad with black beans, corn, red and green onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, cumin and chili powder is great! Search allrecipes.com or just google quinoa recipes for more ideas.
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Options
    Sometimes I replace it for oatmeal and eat it for breakfast. Instead of water use unsweetened apple sauce (although you definitely have to pay close attention that you don't burn the bottom of the pot because that was a pain to clean) through in some cinnamon and nuts (I enjoy pecans) and enjoy! I substitute all water for applesauce, as for quantity do as per cooking instructions.

A good lunch/dinner would be to cook it plain as per instructions. Add a cup of chick peas and raw, sliced cucumber and tomatoes (amount is up to you). 1/2 Cup Olive oil, 3/4 cup lemon juice (I squeeze a whole lemon for about 2 cups quinoa) and three raw cloves of garlic. Parsley to taste. I do about a cup of this mixture for lunch. Good in the fridge for a couple of days.

Hope that helps!!
  • Davariluv
    Davariluv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. I cook it like I do rice. 1 cup of quinoa and two cups of water...once that is cooked, I add some steam veggies and already cooked chicken (veggies and chicken have a bunch of seasonings) and wallahhhh you have an amazing tasting clean dish!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can use it pretty much the same as rice or other grains. My favorite though, is the primary ingredient in a salad. I don't have a specific recipe - I just add cooked beans, chopped veggies (whatever I have on hand), and make a vinaigrette dressing. Super easy.
  • NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I cook it I do it just like I'm making rice...except I substitute pineapple juice for 1/2 of the water.
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    This is really good. My dad, who doesn't like ground turkey, even liked it
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-and-Quinoa-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx