fitbit, bodymedia, other?

Options
2»

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've also been using a Fitbit one since the summer and I think it's really great. I definitely walk more than I did before and I'll often take the stairs just to improve my "floors" count - the only problem I had was forgetting to take it out of my pocket beforeI I put my jeans in the wash. Sigh. It didn't survive.

Call them or email their contact from the website! They have replaced mine two or three times, once due to washing. It may depend where you bought it, but definitely worth a try. They just send out another one...
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit one. I have had it since January, and use it every day. I'm honestly sad when I forget it.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I used the Body Media Fit, Link model for over a year and it worked very well. All info was accessible from my cell phone. The problem was I stopped using the info it gave me. Having said that I am wondering if there is a monthly subscription with fitbit? I am considering getting fitbit. I thought it was waterproof? That is in regards to the comment that it did not survive the washing machine. As for the BMF, I also got tired of wearing it on my arm and having strangers ask me about it all the time. I am wondering what model these prior commenters are using on the Fitbit?? I am looking at the Force. Any thoughts?

Fitbit "One" is not waterproof, but it is the most discreet. You can hook it on your bra or pants, or put in your pocket. It has a display for the time, steps, calories, stairs, etc and an "activity mode" you can use for aerobics class or sleep. It syncs to their website, which is almost entirely free. The $49.99 a year is for the premium which you will likely never use, definitely not in the beginning (it lets you download your data into excel, and has a "trainer" that is supposed to help you ramp up, etc.). So other than buying the fitbit itself you dont pay anything and the website is free BEFORE you buy one (you dont need a fitbit to sign up and start tracking things manually).

The fitbit flex is supposed to be waterproof, but it has no real display (just lights). The new force is supposed to take care of that. The Zip is similar to the One but doesnt do stairs and sleep I think. The one also has a vibrating alarm on it which is pretty cool (though a little creepy to wake up to the "tickling").

None of them do heartrate, but their calorie calculation is fairly accurate for most people. If you are a runner, you may want to tweak your automatically calculated stride settings in their dashboard (can check it against the display on a treadmill for steps and calories burned and distance - mine matches up nearly exact if i enter height and weight in the treadmill).

Good luck deciding! I am still tempted to get bodymedia or something just to have comparison numbers... :smile:
  • wanderlusty
    Options
    I just got my FitBit One this week, and so far so good! I love that I can tuck it in my bra and forget about it, it's that discreet. As for integration with MFP, I love that it makes caloric intake adjustments. While Im trying not to eat my exercise calories, I like knowing the numbers in case I decide to treat myself.

I also use RunKeeper, and with the three all integrating with one another, Im getting a really good overview of what Im burning and where, and I never have to make numeric adjustments.

One thing: the sleep setting seems a little iffy, it said I went up a flight of stairs at 1am (which may account for my restless sleeping lol), but I do like that it's tracking just how much I move about. Not sure what I can do about it, but if you're a data and information junkie like I am, it's nice to have.
  • GeekyTechMom
    GeekyTechMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit for about 2 years. The numbers were cool, but it really didn't assist with my weight loss.

"Upgraded" to Bodymedia armband earlier this year. I thought it would be specific to me; more accurate with my ACTUAL activity. If it is accurate, I should be losing 2 pounds a week. I'm averaging about half a pound per week. And often times when I work quite vigorously, it hardly notices. When my subscription runs out, I'll probably try a heart rate monitor next.

I'm not sure if these tools are inaccurate, or if there's just something about me that goes against the whole "calories in/calories out" theory. If you were between Fitbit or Bodymedia, I'd say go with Fitbit. At least it doesn't require a subscription. And check Costco, Samsclub, and the 24 Hour Fitness online store before you buy. They don't always sell the items, but that's where I've seen the best prices.

I had this problem and then someone suggested weighing out my food,even one serving items, in grams. I found huge differences in what I thought I was eating - portion wise and what I was actually consuming. It takes a lot of extra work, but it was worth it. After a while I could estimate it. They say most people underestimate their portions and that is what can make dieting difficult. You could also not be eating enough calories by overestimating. Also make sure that you are eating so you have the right deficit. Had a hard time explaining this to my mom, but she would eat the calories listed and not make sure the calories out were matching. I look more at my deficit number when eating and for 2 lbs per week, you need to have a 1,000 calorie deficit each day. That being said, there are some people, that have issues with their thyroid or other health problems and it makes it harder to lose the weight. At least you were losing that half pound consistently. You could try lowering or upping your calories a bit to see if it helps. I originally lost 60 lbs using my BodyBugg(same device as BodyMedia). However, I stopped wearing it and had a lot of family stress, time issues. I gained the weight back. :( The good thing is that I know I can lose it and am back at it. I have more time with both kids in school now.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started out with a Fitbit Ultra and liked it, but I didn't like the fact that I might forget to clip it on and it would just sit at home. So I moved on to a Bodymedia. While I really like the information that I get from it, I don't like having to wear it around my upper arm. I did wear it for the length of the included six month subscription. Or most of it, depending on what I was wearing to work. I took a leap for the Fitbit Flex and REALLY like it. I can wear it 24/7 (and then charge it for 3 hours). The tracking seems pretty comparable to the Bodymedia.

Edited: So I have a plum Fitbit Ultra plus accessories and a BodyMedia plus accessories for sale. :)