How much time/day should you spend strength training?

Options
goshnames
goshnames Posts: 359 Member
How much time/day do you train a part of your body in order to achieve muscle mass/definition? Is it better to dedicate a block of time during the day to strength training or can you split up your sets throughout the day and get the same results?

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    if you want to achieve both (an increase in mass and increased fat loss) you could do a recomp and just work out 3x a week (1hr sessions max). Its going to take a LONG time to see results since you are trying to achieve 2 different goals at once. Pick one goal (either more muscle mass or more muscle definition) and just work towards that..you'll get there a lot faster.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm curious about the 2nd question as well. Is there any difference in doing all of your sets in one session or splitting them up to various times during the day (regardless of goal)?
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    the goal of every resistance training workout is to physically push your muscle until it's damaged. if you do a set here and there you might not reach this goal.
  • goshnames
    Options
    So you want to push your muscles until they're damaged.

I see a lot of short ab workouts online that are basically 300-500 reps (TOTAL) of a combo of ab exercises (crunches, reverse crunches, russian twists, v-sits, etc). They take me about 5-15 minutes to get through and I'm not dying at the end of it. Does that mean it's probably not going to get any results?
  • goshnames
    Options
    Ooo, thank you!