Baseball!!!

Options

Replies

• DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've finally found the thread where I belong. I live, eat, sleep, breath baseball. More importantly YANKEES baseball. I'm 30 and have been a Yank fan since I was 9. I grew up in Louisiana so we didn't have a baseball team. It was either the Braves (which my dad liked) or the Cubs. I had more sense at nine to like the Cubs =P I chose the Yankees at age 9 because of the history. It excited me to see those pinstripes on the field. Back then--I had no idea of a rivalry...with ANYone. So before I get hated on for choosing the "winning team"..save it. I didn't come here to argue.

I have a subscription to MLB.TV and I watch pretty much every Yankee game. I have to be considerate of my girlfriend so the games they play on the weekends I just follow on my iPhone.....pitch by pitch. The weekends are our "time" together so I try not to sit on my *kitten* for 4 hours watching a game...because I totally could. In fact, I keep watching the clock. Game today starts at 12:05 Texas time. I pull it up on my computer at work (don't be jealous) and watch until I go home...then set it up on my 60 inch tv from my laptop.

Yeah...baseball...I could go on and on and on. And OMG....who saw that Jim Joyce call last night?? CRAZY BLIND MAN!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I can't remember...who won the World Series last year? Hmmm....
    dwell in the past much?:tongue:
    What? It was an honest question. :laugh:

I'll find you lady! and when I do, I'm gonna do a Varitek face push on you! :tongue:

arod_varitek.jpg
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Yeah...baseball...I could go on and on and on. And OMG....who saw that Jim Joyce call last night?? CRAZY BLIND MAN!!!

And Joyce is behind the plate tonight so the Damn Tigers will probably win.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options

Are you kidding me!? I joined the Facebook Page: Fire Jim Joyce last night. I could not believe that call. I was screaming at the tv and I'm not even a huge Tiger fan but damn poor Galarraga. Like I said...on and on and on and on...I'll shut it. lol
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I've finally found the thread where I belong. I live, eat, sleep, breath baseball. More importantly YANKEES baseball. I'm 30 and have been a Yank fan since I was 9. I grew up in Louisiana so we didn't have a baseball team. It was either the Braves (which my dad liked) or the Cubs. I had more sense at nine to like the Cubs =P I chose the Yankees at age 9 because of the history. It excited me to see those pinstripes on the field. Back then--I had no idea of a rivalry...with ANYone. So before I get hated on for choosing the "winning team"..save it. I didn't come here to argue.

I have a subscription to MLB.TV and I watch pretty much every Yankee game. I have to be considerate of my girlfriend so the games they play on the weekends I just follow on my iPhone.....pitch by pitch. The weekends are our "time" together so I try not to sit on my *kitten* for 4 hours watching a game...because I totally could. In fact, I keep watching the clock. Game today starts at 12:05 Texas time. I pull it up on my computer at work (don't be jealous) and watch until I go home...then set it up on my 60 inch tv from my laptop.

You're ..... um...... ok you're a bigger baseball fan than me. I admit it. You didn't hate, so I won't hate either, even though I still think pinstripes make people look fat. :wink: (see, even Red Sox fans can be reasonable sometimes). And yes, Joyce deserves 20 lashes. Perfect games are nothing to be trifled with. The 9th inning of perfect games are sacred and IMHO EVERY call should be discussed by the whole crew if it's even moderately close. Anything that happens less than 20 times in the last 110 years is something to be taken with the UTMOST seriousness IMHO!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    love it, love it, love it. I am a SF Giants fan. They're not on TV much in the Pacific Northwest, but I am so happy to catch the rare ESPN or Fox Sunday game. (American league is not real baseball, and thus I cannot be a Mariners fan and enjoy the bounty of local baseball on TV.) I follow the Giants online, never miss Baseball Tonight for highlights, and am considering paying to stream KNBR so I can hear games on SF sports radio.

while I love you're enthusiasm, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that the American League is not baseball. Geez man that's pretty harsh. Sure you have a DH, but that balances out in that it's harder for pitchers in the American League (I can cite many many examples of pitcher that went from the national to the American leagues and didn't do anywhere near as well). I'll agree that it's DIFFERENT, but it's still baseball. Some would argue that some of the parks in the national league are like grand canyons where home runs go to die, not me mind you, but some (I'm a pitcher, I love seeing guys start a trot only to end up walking back to the dugout with an F-8). :wink:

Agreed, on all counts. Obviously, I am not a fan of the DH, but most people aren't. Maybe it's just the Mariners ... I can't get myself to care about them, even after 14 years in the PNW. It would be so much easier if I could. I think the variable size of the stadiums is all part of the spice of life--if your home park is a huge stadium, then you should hit LOTSA jacks everywhere else, and, as you say, enjoy watching visiting players get to somewhere between 1st and 2nd and then head straight for the dugout. And I love Fenway--that is a great baseball experience.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options

It was terrible, no question. But the guy is a veteran ump and will beat himself up over that call until he dies. Galarraga was a total class act about it. His face when Joyce made the call was priceless. Hopefully he will go on to have more perfect games. Stuff like this shows even the purest baseballl purist that we gotta succumb to instant replay.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options
    You're ..... um...... ok you're a bigger baseball fan than me. I admit it. You didn't hate, so I won't hate either, even though I still think pinstripes make people look fat. :wink: (see, even Red Sox fans can be reasonable sometimes). And yes, Joyce deserves 20 lashes. Perfect games are nothing to be trifled with. The 9th inning of perfect games are sacred and IMHO EVERY call should be discussed by the whole crew if it's even moderately close. Anything that happens less than 20 times in the last 110 years is something to be taken with the UTMOST seriousness IMHO!

They were talking about the perfect game as it was happening on the Yankees YES Network. I was almost tempted to leave the Yankee game and switch over to the Detriot game.....almost :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    love it, love it, love it. I am a SF Giants fan. They're not on TV much in the Pacific Northwest, but I am so happy to catch the rare ESPN or Fox Sunday game. (American league is not real baseball, and thus I cannot be a Mariners fan and enjoy the bounty of local baseball on TV.) I follow the Giants online, never miss Baseball Tonight for highlights, and am considering paying to stream KNBR so I can hear games on SF sports radio.

while I love you're enthusiasm, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that the American League is not baseball. Geez man that's pretty harsh. Sure you have a DH, but that balances out in that it's harder for pitchers in the American League (I can cite many many examples of pitcher that went from the national to the American leagues and didn't do anywhere near as well). I'll agree that it's DIFFERENT, but it's still baseball. Some would argue that some of the parks in the national league are like grand canyons where home runs go to die, not me mind you, but some (I'm a pitcher, I love seeing guys start a trot only to end up walking back to the dugout with an F-8). :wink:

Agreed, on all counts. Obviously, I am not a fan of the DH, but most people aren't. Maybe it's just the Mariners ... I can't get myself to care about them, even after 14 years in the PNW. It would be so much easier if I could. I think the variable size of the stadiums is all part of the spice of life--if your home park is a huge stadium, then you should hit LOTSA jacks everywhere else, and, as you say, enjoy watching visiting players get to somewhere between 1st and 2nd and then head straight for the dugout. And I love Fenway--that is a great baseball experience.

Fenway's great, right up until you realize that you're 6'2" tall and the seats are made for people who are 5'5" tall, so I don't go as much as I used to. Been to literally hundreds of Red Sox games, nothing more fun then going with my wife and watching her just absolutely lay into Jeeter (she HATES Jeeter for some reason, I actually respect him the most, well him and Mariano, of all the Yankees), it's those games where her being a sales rep for the trucking industry really lets her show her truly "colorful" language (some of those trucking companies can get pretty bad from what she says).

I'll agree though, being a baseball fan in Seattle must be a horrid existence full of torture and never ending disappointment (not as bad as being a Jays fan for the last 15 years, but close I imagine).
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options
    arod_varitek.jpg

As a Yankee fan I must say.......I love this. Also as a die hard Yankee fan I can say...I do not like A-Rod. He is just....yeah, I won't go there. However I gained a *BIT* of respect for him at his reaction to line-driving David Huff in the head. He was genuinely remorseful. Doesn't change the fact that he's a complete toolbag....oops I went there.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

Are you kidding me!? I joined the Facebook Page: Fire Jim Joyce last night. I could not believe that call. I was screaming at the tv and I'm not even a huge Tiger fan but damn poor Galarraga. Like I said...on and on and on and on...I'll shut it. lol

The Tigers are the Twins current rivals so I want them to loose and loose bad every game. My friend and I are both Twins fans and we are going to the Tigers vs Twins game in July in Detroit oh it will be fun. She will be wearing a Mauer jersey and me in Slowey gear.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    Oh and it just got worse to be a Seatle fan with Griffey jr retiring.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

It was terrible, no question. But the guy is a veteran ump and will beat himself up over that call until he dies. Galarraga was a total class act about it. His face when Joyce made the call was priceless. Hopefully he will go on to have more perfect games. Stuff like this shows even the purest baseballl purist that we gotta succumb to instant replay.

I'm serious when I say this, if that was me I'd probably quit. Not because he's not a good umpire (we all make mistakes no matter how good we are), but because he probably took away Gallarraga's one true chance to go down in history, literally ruining a guy's chance at immortality (on a small level). I agree that he (Gallarraga) handled it correctly, but that doesn't remove the fact that Joyce just destroyed his chance at a dream.

To put my feelings in context
    I've been pitching since I was five, and no, I'm not pitching in Professional baseball (but I do play in tournaments sometimes with minor leaguers) but I pitch in a league that has more former college players than not, and more than a few former minor leaguers, and even in this league, there's only ever (in 25 years) been 1 perfect game, it would be a dream come true for me to do that just once. I've been close on 3 separate occasions, once a walk in the 9th killed it, once an error, and once a (questionable, IMHO) double right down the 3rd base line (I still say to this day it was foul!). So I kind of understand what he may be feeling to a much lesser degree, and even that is one of those ARRRGGGG!!!! moments that is hard to get over.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    Options
    Oh and it just got worse to be a Seatle fan with Griffey jr retiring.

I seen Griffey Jr. play in Cincinnati two Julys ago. I was sitting in the right field side on purpose just to watch him in action. I took many photos and will never forget it. Glad I got to see him live before he retired.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Oh yeah I love baseball...........HOW "BOUT THEM BRAVES!!!!!!!!! Swept those Phillies right out of ATL!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Go TWINS! I'm a Minnesota Twins fan all the way! I grew up watching Kirby Puckett as a kiddo and when I started T-ball as a youngin', I tried doin the Kirby leg hitch at bat. (hike that leg up like your a true slugger..haha). I grew up in Minnesota, but I live in Idaho now so I can only catch highlights of the games typically, which stinks. But, I love them! I lived about 5 hours from the Twin Cities, but my family would take 3 trips a summer to go watch the Twins play. My dad and his big-wig connections would get us seats right behind the catcher, or above the dugout. Oh man I'm getting the chills just thinking about it!!! Watched the Twins all my life... the days of Kirby and the World Series... sitting next to Tony Oliva at a game in the Metradome...Brad Radke pitching.... Doug Mientkiewicz and his obsession with bubblegum at first base (and sucky hitting streak)... Corey Koskie at 3rd base.... GUUUUZman at shortstop, who threw me a signed baseball after a game....booing at AJ Pierzynski after he left the Twins... 2006--the year of the Piranhas....Circle Me Bert.... Joe Mauer's sideburns and MN loyalty. Oh man I MISS watching them! I'm a fan no matter what!

Its fun, my husband loves the Red Sox so we like to have some healthy debates and competition. I love baseball season!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Go TWINS! I'm a Minnesota Twins fan all the way! I grew up watching Kirby Puckett as a kiddo and when I started T-ball as a youngin', I tried doin the Kirby leg hitch at bat. (hike that leg up like your a true slugger..haha). I grew up in Minnesota, but I live in Idaho now so I can only catch highlights of the games typically, which stinks. But, I love them! I lived about 5 hours from the Twin Cities, but my family would take 3 trips a summer to go watch the Twins play. My dad and his big-wig connections would get us seats right behind the catcher, or above the dugout. Oh man I'm getting the chills just thinking about it!!! Watched the Twins all my life... the days of Kirby and the World Series... sitting next to Tony Oliva at a game in the Metradome...Brad Radke pitching.... Doug Mientkiewicz and his obsession with bubblegum at first base (and sucky hitting streak)... Corey Koskie at 3rd base.... GUUUUZman at shortstop, who threw me a signed baseball after a game....booing at AJ Pierzynski after he left the Twins... 2006--the year of the Piranhas....Circle Me Bert.... Joe Mauer's sideburns and MN loyalty. Oh man I MISS watching them! I'm a fan no matter what!

Its fun, my husband loves the Red Sox so we like to have some healthy debates and competition. I love baseball season!!!

frank Viola was one of my idols growing up (nasty mole and all :tongue: ), never really had big enough hands to do the OK change up correctly though.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I can't remember...who won the World Series last year? Hmmm....
    dwell in the past much?:tongue:
    What? It was an honest question. :laugh:

I'll find you lady! and when I do, I'm gonna do a Varitek face push on you! :tongue:

arod_varitek.jpg
    Eeesh, are all Sox fans this violent? :huh: :tongue:

And nobody in their right mind should hate Jeter :love:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Eeesh, are all Sox fans this violent? :huh: :tongue:

And nobody in their right mind should hate Jeter :love:

that's a big yes, violence is our hallmark feature. :tongue:

and who said my wife was in her right mind? :wink:
  • greeneyes12273
    Options
    I have been a Minnesota Twins fan my entire life. Love to watch them every time they are on....although these west coast games are getting a little late to be staying up!! I hope they can get back on track tonight against the Mariners!

Go and vote for Justin Morneau at 1st base for the All-Star game....he is having a much better season than Teixeria who is ahead of him. That would be awesome to see Morneau at 1st and Mauer behind the plate for the All-Star Game!!