Will sugar make you gain weight even in calorie deficit

Options
I just am craving chocolate so bad but if I have some i feel so guilty, like all my hard work is going to be ruined!!
If my calorie is still as a deficit consuming around 1200 will a bit of chocolate here and there ruin what I have achieved so far?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't a dog, you should be ok.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No food will make you gain weight on it's own. Period. You can eat anything so long as it fits into your calorie allocation. Hell, you can even eat outside it once and awhile and do fine.

What you do not want to do is restrict your calories too much. MFP is designed to make you not have to do the math. You put in how much weight you want to lose, how fast you want to lose it and your lifestyle. Then it tells you how much to eat. It's simple if you let it be.
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    Okay good, I am hoping to change to maintenance level soon but am just too scared it will encourage me to eaters naughty things. I eat healthy and exercise but just want chocolate a lot lately lol if a calorie deficit is all it takes then I'm happy.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and I eat dark chocolate several times a week :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat whatever I want (candy or chocolate).. calories determine weight loss, not the type of them.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine! In fact, dark chocolate is supposedly good for you; just make sure not to go too overboard :P
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest bar and microwave 20 seconds (must microwave). Has 20 grams of protein, 190 calories, and you won't feel bad one bit. It's awesome!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream - real ice cream - almost every single day.

I regularly eat at double (or more) MFP's recommended sugar intake.

Now look at my ticker and draw your own conclusions.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Man I hope not or I have been doing this all wrong... lol :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You could have a big chunk of cake as long as you make it fit. Heck, you could have the whole cake and still lose weight.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    No. You're welcome.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thought you were having a laugh then saw your transformation photo, holy cow man! That is a legendary transformation!

And to the question, no, it's just better not to, 1200 calories is exceptionally low, wasting some of those on chocolate instead of something else doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I barely manage my "5 a day" on 3400 calories, so I'm pretty sure you won't on 1200.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have found, if I eat cookies but still stay in the calories my weight goes up
    I figure it must have something to do with gluten?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have found, if I eat cookies but still stay in the calories my weight goes up
    I figure it must have something to do with gluten?

When you eat cookies do you crave and eat other "bad foods"? As you might then intake high amounts of sodium and retain more water. I tend to go a little overboard on my cheat days and I'm pretty sure the scales would say I'm a few pounds more than I am the next day. It looks like you eat a lot of "treats" daily that contain a fair amount of sodium so you might just be retaining more water. Or I could be completely wrong, I'm no nutritional expert so you should probably go find one instead of listening to me :)
  • roxxie25
    roxxie25 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually think that allowing yourself treats that fit within your calorie limit is, at least for me, essential to actually being able to stick with it long enough to meet your weight goals. For me, cutting out entire foods (sugar, white flour) only makes me feel deprived and become obsessed with the thought of eating them. But I am somebody who can only eat just a little bit of junk food/sweets without going crazy binging on it. In fact, I am more likely to binge from pent up deprivation,

Here is where sugar is impacted by a calorie limit though -- you can only eat so much of it and stay within your calorie goal, because 1200 calories (or even 600 calories, honestly) of something sugary is not that much food and will leave you still hungry but without enough calories remaining to satisfy your hunger and physical need for something more nutritious.

Final point, I tried several times to loose weight 'just' by cutting out sugar and/or white flour, but I don't think I ever lost a single pound that way. The ONLY thing that works for me is calorie counting
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Try a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest bar and microwave 20 seconds (must microwave). Has 20 grams of protein, 190 calories, and you won't feel bad one bit. It's awesome!

This!!!!!!!!! These bars rock. I also like mixing vanilla protein powder in plain greek yogurt and adding dark chocolate and coconut.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    no no and nooooooooooo:)
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream or a candy bar (sometimes both) every day and I'm still losing. I know it's not the healthiest choice, but if I don't have something sweet at the end of the day I tend to binge the next day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

There always has to be a show off.. :laugh: