help, i barely eat and workout everyday and still gain..

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Your body hates dramatic changes and will fight you tooth and nail. When you put it under a lot of stress (over exercising, undereating), your hormones go all out of whack and you will not lose fat. You will, however, lose muscle, which is a huge reason why crash dieters tend to gain back more than they lose.

What you're doing is not sustainable and will eventually lead to injury from over training as well as malnutrition. You do not need to make dramatic changes in diet and activity to see results. Just try to stay active and eat at a reasonable deficit.

And please drink more water. One bottle a day is not enough, especially if you are exercising to that extent.
  • skittles9878
    skittles9878 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at every thing I eat scan it with this app and using the app to calculate calories. When I hike it is everyday and mostly uphill and its straight hiking times. And I do notice I have more energy and move quicker, able to do more everyday it seems. I am wondering if lack of water may be a role, would that effect my weight?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd try eating, more water, and therapy.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    EAT EAT EAT!! From what I've been learning, it's pretty important to eat all of your calories, even the ones you burned off!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Eat more and stop working out so hard.

yep totally agree " your poor body and what your doing to it.......... give it a chance to absorb some calories and step back from the crazy exercise.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It's like the trolls aren't even trying anymore

I know, right? almost insulting:grumble:
  • lrobrn
    lrobrn Posts: 17
    Options
    You need to eat your calories allowed each day. I was trying to eat less and the loss was slow so I started doing what the site instructs and have been losing 2-3 pounds a week for the last couple of weeks. I still have a hard time eating my daily allowance but I'm still losing and my cloths are fitting differently.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    so you're eating 1200 calories a day and burning off 1200 a day??

How are you conscious??
    There is an argument to be made that she isn't conscious...
  • Lawreedee
    Lawreedee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You sound like me (minus 20 years anyway!) - similar weight & height - listen to all of these posts about EATING MORE!!! 1200 isn't enough for the workouts you are doing! Don't give up, but don't burn yourself out either - and sometimes it's more encouraging to keep track of your belt loops & how much better you feel by exercising/eating healthy, than by jumping onto the scale every day! Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's like the trolls aren't even trying anymore

If their objective is to cause me to lose all faith in humanity, then it's working. I'm one, maybe two threads like this from ragequitting/flouncing/epic meltdown/sudden deactivation.

OP, if this is legit, then where would you get the idea that eating 1200 daily calories and burning ~1200 exercise calories netting ZERO calories would be a good idea? Pro-tip: It's not.

If you're going to follow MFP's recommendation for 1200 calories...(and I personally believe this is a *horrible* starting point)...then at least follow it correctly and eat back your exercise calories.

And check out this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • skittles9878
    Options
    Okay I'll try eating more and working out a bit less, thank you all
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    so you're eating 1200 calories a day and burning off 1200 a day??

How are you conscious??

I was wondering that same thing!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Water only nauseates me if I drink it on an empty stomach. Maybe that's the issue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll try eating more and working out a bit less, thank you all

Yay! Good idea.

:flowerforyou:

You may also get some good feedback if you make your diary public...(although admittedly, you may get some bad feedback too, so it's understandable if you decide not to).
  • skittles9878
    Options
    Lol I'll make it public in a week and try the given advice so maybe I won't get negativity :)
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    The zero calorie diet you're on works for anorexics.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    That's exactly it. You're barely eating.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    do not burn all what you take....EATING will make you burn fat.....People need to understand that.
    What you're eating is the key..... Eat lean, good food and train. No magic here.

Good protein,med good fat,med good carbs, low salt,low sugar.

If you need to learn the good protein,good carbs and fat...there's plenty of infos on the net (too long to explain here).

You should try to make many small good meals in advance...like 5-6 per day.
    Eat smaller but more often and not too much fruits.....it's full of sugar (eat some...it's very good but not too many) go for veggies instead.

Good luck
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Well you said you weight lift for 1 hour everyday so I would say it's muscle gain. I'm no professional but that would be my guess. 1 hr everyday .. are you trying to be a body builder? The best thing that worked for me was jogging/running and a healthy (healthier than my norm) diet.

lifting weights for an hour isnt going to make you look like a bodybuilder. you can't get buff unless you realy tried
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to at least your bmr if you're working out, skip the guilt trip.