Eat before or after exercise?

Options
I was wondering if eating before or after exercising makes a difference in metabolism and fat burning. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For cutting I used to wait till around 2pm before I ate as I'd finish my workout by then, while bulking I litteraly run through to the kitchen the second I wake up, I have to say I feel energetic at the gym for both but if it's cardio I'd personally eat before. But that's just me :) for losing weight it's just the amount of a calorie deficit you are in, pretty sure it doesn't matter when you eat them :) today I worked out at 10.30pm right up till midnight so I had already consumed 3300 calories (diary is open) then had a shake after. But I don't think it matters at all :) although fast acting carbs usually do give you a small energy boost before!
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I generally work out first thing in the morning so I eat or drink a snack containing 30-50 grams (depending on the length and intensity of my workout) of quickly digested carbohydrates to provide me with the necessary energy to work out. After I work out I have a shake or a meal containing at least 25-30 grams of protein along with carbs and fat to promote recovery and muscle growth
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can eat whenever you like. It doesn't matter if you eat before or after. Just make sure you eat enough calories throughout the day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've had best results with working out fasted and eating all of my calories right after my workout. Some people feel tired if they workout fasted. If this is the case for you, then you should eat first. My workouts are terrible if I eat first.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have to eat afterwards. Im usually so hungry after my workout Im ready to chew off my own arm and leg lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter i say after personal;ly if i did it before my stomach would be too full
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a small snack a half hour to 45 mins before I work out is about all I can do or I don't feel very good. Then I want to EAT when I'm done!! I could eat a leg too!!!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat a light breakfast. And there are some foods that are supposed to be good for you to eat to help you do better when you workout, like raisins.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    depends on a lot of personal factors. when are you working out? what type of work out are you doing?

personally, i like to work out really early in the morning. i can usually exercise fasted, with nothing more than coffee. if i'm doing a long endurance work out, i might have a banana, or a piece of toast and peanut butter. but nothing heavier.
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    It doesn't matter. It's just personal preference whether you like working out on a full stomach and such; It's just about figuring out what makes you feel better and works for you specifically :) But it really makes no difference, no matter what some myths say
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I eat a light breakfast. And there are some foods that are supposed to be good for you to eat to help you do better when you workout, like raisins.
    Fructose lowers exercise performance, increases risk of gastrointestinal distress, and increases perception of exertion. Fruit is best saved for post workout.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I do both! I eat a protein bar an hour-30 minutes before I do weights and a shake after. On cardio days I like to eat a light meal then follow with some water or a shake and an apple or something.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Depends when and what I am doing. If I am going for a morning run, then I eat afterwards. If I do an evening workout with cardio and weights... I eat before and after.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter; which ever way you feel comfortable. Personally, I like to lift on an empty stomach because it seems like I have more energy/ the ability to lift heavier weight. If I'm going to do some intense cardio, though, I like to eat something small atleast an hour before.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This comes down to personal preference..... I workout in the morning and prefer to eat first thing when I get up and hit the gym about an hour after but again this is what works for me.... Find what works for you...... Best of Luck.....
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    It depends on your workout and your goal. If you just want to burn calories and lose fat with light to moderate cardio, then it's not that important to eat before exercising.

For weight lifting and more intense forms of cardio such HIIT, eat a light meal (not heavy or you will puke) of 20-35 grams of complex carbs such as oatmeal about 60-90 minutes before your workout. After your workout, eat 30-35 grams of simple carbs (e.g. dextrose) with some protein (whey mixed with sugar or just chocolate milk). There is only one time of the day to consume sugar, and it is post workout. Dextrose is the best, fructose (fruit sugar) isn't good.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/341982-sugar-after-workouts/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/post_workout_carbs.htm
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Eating a big meal before exercise makes me feel sick, but exercising on an empty stomach also doesn't feel good. I usually try and have a small snack (like a banana or protein bar and some water) before exercising and then have a big meal afterward. But really, it just depends on you and how your body responds.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Sometimes before... sometimes after... sometimes during :bigsmile:
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sometimes before... sometimes after... sometimes during :bigsmile:
    this... except the during part
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Figure out what works for you. I always eat before, sometimes eat during, and eat shortly after.