best exercise for someone with arthritis

I'd like to hear from those of you who have various forms of arthritis. What exercise do you do?

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    I walk and do an arthritis water aerobics class.
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    my mom loves her water aerobics class
  • catbit
    catbit Posts: 28
    I do the elliptical for 45min at least 3 days a week
  • Gillby
    Gillby Posts: 22 Member
    I have arthritis in both knees. At 96kg it was debilitating. I've struggled through cardio doing some bike and walking. I've lost 20kgs. Despite the doctors recommendations and is a desperate attempt to improve my bum I started squatting. Best. Thing. I. Ever. Did! It has strengthened the muscles around my knees and I feel like a new person.
    My advice. Give squats a go. If it absolutely kills you then it's not for you (It didn't work for my mum) but I'd definitely recommend trying it. You don't need to use weights.
  • JesseRober
    JesseRober Posts: 2
    I'm 31 and have had Rheumatoid arthritis since I was 12, so I've tried it all. Swimming is great if you are mobile enough to shower and change. Leslie Sansone's " walk away the pounds" videos are low impact, physiotherapist friendly yet a great cardio work out. Squats, lunges and free weights ( around wrists for sore hands) are great when you can do them. Squats using a stability ball behind your back on a wall can create intensity and joint support. For the harder times,when flares are imminent, I've learned not to push myself into flares by over doing. There are hundreds of chair exercise videos which can keep you fit in the worst of pain. I just had a total hip replacement and need both knees done yet I continue an exercise regime based on simple physiotherapy plus " flexy ladies chair yoga for sever arthritis" and HasFits " chair exercises for seniors" All of these videos are free online. My motto: modify if needed, push, but not to severe pain and always keep moving even if it's inch by inch!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I'd like to hear from those of you who have various forms of arthritis. What exercise do you do?

i have an arthritic knee.

Get some swim on.
  • DeniseCole5
    DeniseCole5 Posts: 24 Member
    I have arthritis in my knees, i do a lot of aerobic exercises, initially i had to take pain killers before and after a session but as your body gets use to exercise your bones strengthen and knees became less painful. You do have to keep it up though, if i miss sessions then i stiffen up and joints become painfull again.
    Water aerobis and swimming is excellent as well.
    Good luck in what you do. :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    agree with swimming :drinker: