Not sure what kind of or how to add strength training to add

Hi all,

I have started using MFP for almost three weeks now. I weigh about 130ish and have a high bodyfat % (29), which i'm trying to improve through diet & exercising. My current workout consists of almost all cardio (spinning and jogging, 5 to 6 days a week). Occasionally i take a bodyworks class at my gym which does incorporate the use of dumbells. However, as i read more about weight loss I think eventually i will need to add some strength training to my routine if I want to be more toned and lean. Do you think I should add it now? Or am i supposed to focus on cardio to lose some more fat then start weight training?

I cannot afford hiring a personal trainer and i truly know nothing about weight training, does anyone know of a good program that i could follow? I know there are a lot of workouts i can learn on the internet but as soon as i get to the gym and see all these weights & machine, i feel lost already.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Replies

• jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 193 Member
    new rules of lifting for women or strong lifts would be my recommendation for routines. i am currently in week 7 of nrol4w and love it but i have also heard great thinga about strong lifts. I am sure others will have suggestions too.

As far as adding it now vs. waiting, I would go ahead and add it. Muscle burns more calories than fat and lifting makes me feel like i have accomplished something every time i increase the weight i can lift.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    SS/SL or NROL4W
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Definitely start now. You can't start soon enough.
    StrongLifts is OK, but I found I didn't get enough (or the right!) information about technique. Starting Strength is a great book that has a solid foundation for your technique. Almost all the same exercises as StrongLifts.

I have no firsthand knowledge of NROL4W, but I keep hearing that it's complicated. SS/SL are both very simple. SL is free, but you get what you pay for. I'm partial to SS myself.
  • mamaofscj
    mamaofscj Posts: 24 Member
    I agree with the others, start now. And with dumbbells the beauty is that you can start small. I recently incorporated 3lb dumbbells 3 times a week for about 20 mins and I can feel the muscle and toning taking place already, it's only been about 1 month. I'm ready to increase up to 5 lbs now :) Good Luck!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    I would encourage people who are starting a strength program to find one that is aggressive about adding weight. You can start with 5 pound dumbbells to get your technique down, but once you know what you're doing, you should be looking for any excuse to add weight to your lifts. In the beginning, most people can add a little weight every time they go to the gym.

For the important lifts, you should eventually be doing sets in the 5-rep range. That is, you should be too tired to continue without losing form after just 5 reps. Start light with higher reps, but work your way to higher weights and lower reps.

Also, make sure you're technique is good when you add on weight. Have someone watch you if you're not sure . Watch the Youtube videos. Or read Starting Strength.

Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and NROL4W are all good beginner programs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    The sooner you start strength training, the better.
  • Google the 5x5 workout - great beginner workout

On compound lifts such as dead lifts or squats start with easy weights (but progress to heavier each workout) so that you learn the proper form. YouTube has a lot of great videos for form so just search there. If your form is bad, the last thing you want is that combined with too heavy weights. Recipe for disaster.
  • mustkeepgoing888
    mustkeepgoing888 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for everyone's response. This might be a dumb question, but how do you guys follow a routine from a book? Do you take the book with you to the weight room and then do the routine one by one? Or do you have to memorize what you need to do? (I just feel intimidated since I never see anyone at the gym carrying a book with them when lifting)
  • deksgrl
    You will need a piece of paper to keep track of which exercises you are to do, how many sets and write down what weights you lifted. You definitely need to track what weight you lifted so you can track your progress. One of the programs I heard has a phone app you can keep track on. You might need to take the book if you need directions on the exercises. Some programs have videos you can watch online, watch those so you can get your form correct.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    You should definitely check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Everything is laid out day by day. Doesn't get much easier than that! Look up the result, it totally works! Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    compound lifts - bench press, deadlift, squat, over head press, chin up/pull ups, etc..

Once you learn these moves build a program where you incorporate these into a total body routine where you are hitting legs/arms/chest/back/shoulders three times a week and back your cardio down to two or three sessions a week with at least one rest day ...

good luck to you ....
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    If you have a smart phone, there are a lot of great apps to help you track your workouts.

jefit (www.jefit.com) is a good multi use one, but lots of workout programs have their own specialized apps.

And of course, it's a great tool to watch a video of how to perform a lift just before doing it. Then use the camera to record yourself and make corrections.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Thanks for everyone's response. This might be a dumb question, but how do you guys follow a routine from a book? Do you take the book with you to the weight room and then do the routine one by one? Or do you have to memorize what you need to do? (I just feel intimidated since I never see anyone at the gym carrying a book with them when lifting)

write it down in a notebook and take to the gym with you ...once you have been doing the routine for a few weeks you will have it memorized...Hoewever, having a notebook to track how much weight, how many reps etc, is a great way to track progress...

I have been using a notebook since September of 12 and it is nice to look back and see the gains that I have had....
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    I store my workouts in my phone, and just pull them up from there. But depending on the program some last a few workouts, and then you change some last a few weeks and then you change. Eventually you will learn the things that work best for you, cadence, set lengths, weights, and you wont need to write down as much, but at first I would highly recommend it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    +1 on a notebook.

you can aso include what lifts you have struggled with and what factors you think maybe affecting them - lack of sleep, nutrition, bad form, etc.... you can then look back and see trends that have helped or hindered your training.

Got that tip from Dan John - he's been keeping one since the 60's!
  • mustkeepgoing888
    Thanks again for all the great advices! I guess i will have to bring a note book since my iphone won't download that
    Jefit app for some reason.

I chose to read about the NROL4W because it says it's for women...(though maybe the Stronglifts 5X5 are just as good?)
    I just read through the ebook version of the NROL4W and i'm totally confused....

What are you supposed to do for each workout, i know you are supposed to alternate workout A & B.

But then on the spreadsheets i downloaded it also said workout 1,2,3,4 under each category (Squat,Push Up...etc.)

Does it mean you do 4 workouts in each category on each day, each with 2 sets and 15 reps? Then in the book there
    are so many different types of squats or pushups...etc., which one are you supposed to do? Or do you just choose one?

I apologize for asking so many questions...but this book totally confused me. Perhaps i will have to look for a different
    program to follow if i still don't get it.
  • deksgrl
    The book tells you which exercises to do for stage 1. There are two different workouts that you do on alternating days. There is a group on here of women doing the program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • mustkeepgoing888
    Thank you so much! I will read through the posts on this group to get more familiar
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    If you like classes then Body Pump at GoodLife or Group Power at the YMCA are good classes. Les Mills Pump is what it is based off. One hour of a kick *kitten* class. I love it and am seeing results in just over a month.
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    I found NROL4W a good resource but the workout explanations and routine are very confusing. The Starting Strength as another poster suggested is a great book to teach technique and the routine is VERY simple to follow. You can also access Youtube videos done by Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength, which is terrific to nail down proper technique so you don't injure yourself. If you can get the Jefit app to work that is a great tool to log your exercises but also has quick videos to show you the lift-though technique by Rippetoe is the best. good luck.