Eating lamb or goat meat

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Here in the states it's available, just very expensive. I don't eat lamb a fraction as often as I'd like to, because it's just too pricey. My husband and I have already decided (as soon as we have room for a deep freezer) to buy a butchered lamb from a local farmer and freeze it.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    really expensive unless you know where to find it. i try to have lamb or goat at least a few times a year, though...on special occasions. :)
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've been wasting more time on the internet, and I clicked on a particular story, where the comments basically all said that very few Americans eat lamb.

I've never heard this before, and as I live in London, I often eat Turkish, Lebanese, Indian, Greek and Jamaican food. We've got tons of independent butchers and I regularly buy lamb or goat meat. There's also the traditional Sunday Lunch, which can be roast lamb, rosemary, potatoes, etc. Or Shepherds' Pie, which is made with lamb mince (Cottage Pie is made with beef). This is before you get to regional foods, such as Scouse (Lamb stew), Irish meals or any of the other variations.

Admittedly, eating goat isn't quite so common for your average Londoner, but it still seems really strange to me to think that these aren't normal foods for the US.

Is this true? Don't Americans eat lamb or goat? Or have I fallen for internet stories?

Yes, I'd say lamb is not a common meat eaten in the US. I'm an American and I'd say I eat chicken, beef, seafood, pork, and lamb in that order. I've never eaten goat, don't recall seeing it at my grocery store either.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    THIS American adores lamb and eats lamb kabobs at Lebanese restaurants every chance I get. I don't get lamb at the supermarket very often, because it's so expensive, but I love lamb. Rare, with Lebanese garlic sauce, or lamb chops grilled with rosemary, if I could afford the $12 per pound. A whole leg of lamb is over $40.00. I wouldn't know where to find goat, which I had in Jamaica in goat curry, except maybe to buy a live one and butcher it out myself, which I know how to do.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a regional thing here in the US? I live in MA and you can find lamb everywhere....grocery stores, restaurants, etc. It's on sale all the time where I live too. I just bought boneless legs of lamb for $3.99lb last week and the chops always go on sale for $6.99lb. Goat is harder to come by, but my local Market Basket has it (as well as rabbit). The only restaurants we can find goat on the menu is Indian or a Tapas place.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love lamb and have eaten it since I was a child. Goat is something I just recently tried and I really liked that as well, but then I was raised by an adventurous set of parents and often ate moose, venison, pheasant, reindeer, beef tongue, octopus, blood sausage, oxtail soup just to name a few of the things I've tried and looked.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    In the US, you can find goat meat pretty regularly at H-Mart ( Korean grocery chain) but they're not in every state. I'm lucky enough to have one close to me, and I buy some when it's avaliable.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have lamb fairly frequently because I work in a Mediterranean restaurant and gyros are very popular. I don't really care for it any other way though. Ive had goat meat...in Jamaica. I think its a pretty rare commodity in the US.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    This is pretty accurate. You could probably Google per capita consumption of lamb and goat by country, but I would bet that the US is way down the list for both.

I am the only one in my family who will touch either, and I love both, but I only get to eat them on the odd chance that we are at a restaurant that serves them. Sadly, my consumption is limited to an occasional gyro sandwich, and rarely some cabrito (mexican style goat meat).

:grumble:
    Goat is my favorite red meat, although I don't consume it very often, availability issues mostly........I don't buy frozen meat, ever. Lamb we have 3 or 4 times a month and is our red meat of choice, then venison. Our main animal proteins are fish/crustaceans. When we have dinner parties I'm known to serve lamb a lot and generally everyone looks forward to it and have over the years converted many people that said that they didn't like it......funny how that happens.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat a lot of lamb when I was stateside, but when I moved to Germany there are a lot of dishes that have it. The Greeks make it the best IMO. It is quite delicious. Currently, here in Afghanistan lamb and goat are meal staples for the locals....much like beef & chicken for Americans. It is often stewed or cooked over a pit and served with a Nan type flatbread and rice...very delicious.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lamb as a gyro - but never seen goat meat anywhere!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    what the heck is a gyro?
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never realised that lamb would be an uncommon meat! But then I'm from New Zealand, small country where there are far more sheep than people. Goat, not so much although I've definitely seen it in supermarkets in NZ. I've never tried it. Here in Australia lamb is common, I haven't seen goat yet but you can buy all varieties of kangaroo from the supermarket. It took me awhile to get used to seeing that, but now I've tried roo. It's okay.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never realised that lamb would be an uncommon meat! But then I'm from New Zealand, small country where there are far more sheep than people. Goat, not so much although I've definitely seen it in supermarkets in NZ. I've never tried it. Here in Australia lamb is common, I haven't seen goat yet but you can buy all varieties of kangaroo from the supermarket. It took me awhile to get used to seeing that, but now I've tried roo. It's okay.

omg twins! im a kiwi n live in melbs!

You can get goat from Greek butchers! i have seen it a couple of times.

I couldn't go without lamb chops they are my fav!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    what the heck is a gyro?

It's a sandwich like Shawarma or doner Kebab. If you don't know what any of these are, you are missing out. They layer meat in a big metal skewer and rotate it close to a fire and as the outside of the meat cooks they slice it and serve it in a pita (type of bread) with salads and sauces.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My favorite T-shirt:

27x3y9.jpg
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    what the heck is a gyro?

It's a sandwich like Shawarma or doner Kebab. If you don't know what any of these are, you are missing out. They layer meat in a big metal skewer and rotate it close to a fire and as the outside of the meat cooks they slice it and serve it in a pita (type of bread) with salads and sauces.

sidebar-whatsagyro.jpg

I LOVE THEM
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thats because theres no lamb burger yet. put anything in a burger, and it will get eaten state side.

thats what I herd.

the british pub chain Witherspoons did a minted lamb burger back when I was in my 20s

I've seen lamb burgers (usually minted ones) in supermarkets for years, even here in Bahrain I've seen them.

so yes there are lamb burgers and they've been around for ages and they are widely available.

I love lamb and mutton, they're my favourite meat. with or without mint (usually curried)

a decent mutton mince tastes fantastic, I get a locally produced one. much more flavour than beef mince.

I've eaten camel meat too, that's widely available where I live, including as a mince. Camel lasagne is delicious
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My favorite T-shirt:

27x3y9.jpg

I guess I'm an *kitten* then, because they're delicious
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My favorite T-shirt:

27x3y9.jpg

THIS *kitten*.