Insanity or P90X?

Options
I'm looking for a serious exercise program, and was wondering which one people think is better -- Insanity, or P90X, or maybe another one I haven't heard of. What's your opinion? Which fitness program would you recommend? What are each's pros/cons?

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender.com is good and free
  • Seraphemz
    Seraphemz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    P90X has weights and cardio. Insanity is cardio based and you dont need weights. Depends what you are looking to accomplish really.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    They are both good, but they are very different workouts.

If your looking to lean out, Insanity is your best bet
  • clye_
    clye_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Insanity. No equipment needed, just your body and probably a bottle of water near by. Tons of calories burned in one work out and you're standing in a puddle of sweat by the end of it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Start with Insanity and finish with P90x.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. What do you like best, cardio or lifting or a mixture of both? Both programs work and will help you drop weight and get in great shape. My recommendation is to do the one you like to do most. My personal opinion, I like both programs. I'm currently doing my 5th round of P90X and mixing in some P90X2.

P90X pros: great all around workout, plenty of stretching, yoga, doesn't require much equipment (pull up bar, yoga mat, resistance bands), lots of body weight exercises
    cons: Yoga X is 90 minutes long (can be replaced with P90X one on one Fountain of Youth or X2 Yoga)

Insanity pros: short workouts during the first month (35-47 minutes in length), no equipment needed
    cons: can be rough on your knees/joints if you are not used to plyometrics, HIIT or lots of jumping
  • Timberghost1430
    Options
    We started with Insanity in January. We just did the exercises as we saw fit (didn't stick to their plan). I loved it and got great results. I would have had more weight loss If I had a better grasp on nutrition. Fact is that we lost weight and gained muscle. Especially core. No equipment needed just the desire to do as much as you can each time. It is hard and not for the faint of heart. I actually threw up on the first day. (DO NOT EAT before hand!). After about 3 months we steered to get bored so we switched to P90x.

P90X has a much slower rhythm than insanity. You have to have a pull up bar and dumb bells or bands. A mat is nice too. We liked the muscle building but missed the intensity and sweat from doing Insanity though. After two weeks we found the P90X/Insanity hybrid work out. We are following the plan and are currently in week 6 of the program. I LOVE it. I am building muscle and have a lot more stamina.

The bottom line: Insanity will give you weight loss and great cardio.
    P90X will build muscle and give you weight loss but to a lesser degree.

I am happy with the blend. And for the record I still struggle to do an entire insanity workout.