Is it ok to eat alot of protein?

agray1971
agray1971 Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
After finding this site, I have found that I do not eat enough calories throughout the day and that's maybe why I have not lost much weight. So I've increased my calories but my protein comsumption is very high. Today for example I am -13 for protein but calories and everything else is good. I've had 3oz of grilled chicken on lettuce for lunch and dinner is grilled pork chop. But there is protein in my cereal and yogurt and fruit and everything else. Is it ok to eat more protein than anything else?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I was wondering about that too. I eat a lot of protein. I have almost 30 grams every day before lunch.

Amanda
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It is fine to eat more than the MFP recommended amount of protein. protein can be safely ingested at 30% of total calories over time. Protein on MFP is set at 15 or 20% of total calories, you can go into goals, click change goals, select custom, and play with your %. Try increasing protein by 5% and lower carbs by 5% and see how that works if you are still going over you can readjust again.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Joannie and I have been having this discussion as well. My thoughts are it's better to be high on protein and fiber than carbs or fat, but I'm no expert.
  • herbadot
    herbadot Posts: 16
    I am not an expert and the experts differ on their answers, but have read that unless you have a kidney problem protein is not a problem. I try for 80+ for my protein levels daily but this site has me at a protein goal in the 40's. I am 5' 0" and weigh 125. Trying to lose 10lbs and some inch fluff. Your body needs protein for the muscle repair and nutrition. 13 doesn't sound like too much but space your protein out during your day. I try to get 6+ in a serving.

Do some research and find out your protein needs. Here is something I was reading this morning and I do use a protein powder but am not worried about what they say. As I said there is a lot of info on the web and all is subject to change. (what is said to be good today may be bad tomorrow depending on the current study) If I keep seeing something then I am more then likly to give that opinion more weight.

Enjoy and much success in your weight goals!!
    Herbadot/Dorothy
    http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/06/01/protein-drink-dangers-study-finds-toxins-in-liquids-powders/
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    If you have healthy kidneys, you're generally going to be fine eating up to 30% of your calories as protein.

I have my macronutrients set to 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. MFP automatically sets users up at 60% carbs, 15% protein, and 25% fat. I felt like crap eating like that so I changed it up until I felt great. I'd personally feel like I was starving to death if I only ate 15% protein. :laugh: Others would probably feel sluggish with only 45% carbs -- it's all about adjusting it within what is typically considered a "healthy" range to suit your own needs.

If you take a gander at my food diary, you'll see I'm planning to consume 135g of protein today (assuming I'm able to get to the gym for an hour before it closes). I've really ramped up my exercise intensity over the last couple of weeks so my protein consumption has increased. Prior to that, I was trying to hit around 100g of protein each day.
This discussion has been closed.