Avoiding artifical sweetners like aspartame and splenda?

Options
kmash32
kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
Hi,

I started my journey about a month ago and have lost 12lbs. i have PCOS so need to really watch my carbs and sugars but I don't want to consume artificial sweetners either as I keep reading articals about how bad they are for you. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that avoids these and what they do to satisfy their sweet cravings.

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating this years ago, plenty of desserts on the market made without it. For my tea I use stevia.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating this years ago, plenty of desserts on the market made without it. For my tea I use stevia.

I am trying to get use to stevia but right now I am still finding it more bitter than sugar or artificial sweetners.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Truvia(Stevia)/Organic honey/Dates/Agave. I don't miss them at all anymore.
  • Isagenixbody
    Isagenixbody Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try liquid Stevia. It doesn't have the bitter aftertaste. Good for you!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Truvia is an artificial sweetener, just sayin ;)

If you're trying to avoid sugar, please don't think that using honey/agave will somehow make the sugar less bad for you simply because its "natural".

I personally enjoy artificial sweeteners, but I don't have pcos or your medical issues so I don't think I'm the best example.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia, too (Stevia in the Raw, specifically, right now) and Truvia's alright. But, like you, my husband also thinks nearly every articfical sweetener tastes bitter (and he can taste them, even in cooked foods). The ONLY one that he can't tell is "fake" is xylitol. Maybe that one would work for you??
    Good luck!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Never use any of them. Haven't in many years.
    If you give your taste buds a chance by cutting out white and artificial sugar, you will eventually find your taste for sweet becomes, say, an orange. A medjool date tastes super-sweet. Fresh raw coconut becomes sweet.
    (Haven't quite trained my taste buds for salty or greasy yet! Still working on that one.)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get use to stevia but right now I am still finding it more bitter than sugar or artificial sweetners.
    Same for me. All artificial sweeteners (and salt substitutes) have a bitter taste for me and almost every one of them gives me terrible heartburn. Makes it easy to stay away from them.
  • lynnmariestan1
    lynnmariestan1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I made a chocolate smoothie with an avocado, frozen cherries, half a banana, water, threw some spinach in since you cant taste it anyway, and some raw cacao powder, which is actually good for you, and a litlle stevia. That bad boy took care of my gigantic sweet craving. The recipe I used was:

1 avocado
    1 and a half cups water
    half banana
    1 cup frozen cherries
    1 cup spinach
    2 and a half tablespoons raw cacao powder
    2 packets stevia
    1 scoop whey protein powder. I dont think this is necessary if you dont have it.
    Put all of the above in a blender and blend.

Throw it all in a blender, and it really saved me on a saturday morning. I was fighting a huge urge to bake chocolate chip cookies and eat them all.

Also, if you google recipes for chocolate pudding made with avocados, there are some great recipes out there. I will be trying that this weekend. You can get raw cacao powder at amazon.com, and it has many health benefits.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia and DaVinci's sugarfree syrup (liquid splenda). DaVinci's was recommened by Dr. Bernstein's diabetic diet book.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners, but I'm not opposed to sugar in moderation. If I'm craving a treat I'll have it, but in a reasonable portion and budgeting it onto my calories.