How much fruit is too much?

Options
When I first started logging my food on MFP, I thought that it was important to stay under the sugar goal it set for me. Since then, I've realized that that isn't necessary for the most part, so I'm excited to start eating more fruit daily! I'm curious whether or not there's a limit you would suggest? Not that I plan to go crazy, but if I should only be eating 2 pieces of fruit a day, I'd like to have a guideline to keep in mind :)

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If fruit is keeping me from hitting other nutrients, then it's too much.

I haven't ever actually run into that problem though.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As far as I have heard....if you are eating clean, eating whole foods, eating un-processed foods, then you should be able to eat as much fruit as you want. I eat Paleo, and I eat TONS of fruit. The sugars in fruit are good for you and your body processes them easily. So, as long as you are not causing your stomach distress and you are still getting your fats and protein in.... you will be fine!
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I noticed that too, my sugar was always way over, but it was because of the fruit that I was eating. I haven't changed how much I eat and it doesn't affect me at all. I eat about 3-4 servings a day usually bananas, apples, grapes, strawberries, and watermelon. I wouldn't worry about the fruit at all. It's natural sugar so your body knows how to handle it. It's the processed sugar and white sugar you have to worry about. :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the sugars in fruit, however I do stay away from grapes.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you are eating so much fruit you are lacking significantly in your other macros I would say cut back but if not then why cut back?
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how much is too much, but I read Ashton Kutcher was on an all-fruit diet and ended up in the hospital. I doubt you eat fruit for every single meal, but just a reminder that even though fruit IS good for you, there is such a thing as too much. Another celebrity also had an issue with eating too much fruit and was hospitalized. As long as you don't take it to an extreme, you'll be fine.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I definitely don't plan on partaking in an all fruit diet ;P However I WILL be digging into the Bob Evans fruit crepes when I get a chance. :tongue: