Success with only an elliptical?

Options
Just wondering if there's anyone out there who's lost lot of weight only using the elliptical for exercise. Basically, I found out like a month ago that I have hip dysplasia, so walking long distances is discouraged until after I get surgery and recover. Running, which had been my main plan, is pretty much out of the question forever. I'm also considering swimming and biking, but right now the elliptical at my gym is the cheapest and most convenient option.

Has the elliptical been a good source of cardio for anyone else on here? Or is it too low-impact to be effective on its own?

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    plenty effective for cardio... HIIT on ellipticals is more intense than biking or running, for me.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds and got to my goal weight with just an elliptical, only to realize I was skinny fat, then started lifting.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I burn more on the elliptical than I do walking. It's a great low impact workout that does the job.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds and got to my goal weight with just an elliptical, only to realize I was skinny fat, then started lifting.

and this is why everyone should lift.. but the op only asked if elliptocals were good for cardio
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options

and this is why everyone should lift.. but the op only asked if elliptocals were good for cardio
    I'm planning to work that into my routine at some point.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Awesome piece of kit! Non-impact and variable intensity for different workouts.

Broken C5 vertebrae stopped my running days - the elliptical has been a godsend for my aerobic exercise. Now i can actually get some!

I still lift the weights but the elliptical is perfect for High Intensity warm ups or as a workout in its own right.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I'm planning to work that into my routine at some point.

if your doctors have cleared you, you should work it into your routine now.
  • lilalief
    lilalief Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight, I mainly used the elliptical so I think it's a good source of cardio ;)
  • woody7890
    woody7890 Posts: 27
    Options
    I use the elliptical nearly everyday and doing it at home in front of a tv, takes your mind off doing exercise, and before you know it, you've done half an hour! I do additional walking too, but the elliptical definitely burns more calories! It's a great piece of equipment :D
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    all my cardio i do is the elliptical 6-12 hours a week and an occasional walk or hike on the weekend or 30 mins of zumba every 2 weeks. I always loved the elliptical and it always been my exercise machine number 1
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone. the Elliptical helped me when I was losing weight, plus it's easy on the knees.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I burn more on the elliptical than I do walking. It's a great low impact workout that does the job.

This. I use my HRM & I've found that I burn more doing a programme on the elliptical in 10 mins than I do with walking.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If it's an option, find an elliptical with both arm motions and elevation control.

The elevation allows you to target different muscle groups. And don't forget you can also go backwards on an elliptical, changing the muscle load entirely.

It's a wonderful machine.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I use mainly an elliptical for my cardio but I highly recommend incorporating weights into your routine.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is the first piece of equipment I bought. I used it for the longest time and I lost weight! I still use it at the gym to do HIIT..
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    LOVE MY ELLIPTICAL!!! I find it really helps when my lower back is bothering me.
  • krhodem
    krhodem Posts: 17
    Options
    I think it's great for cardio since you aren't able to lift yet. If you can find a place to swim, that would be a great route too because it's so much lower impact.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I did besides walking. Lost 30 pounds!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    lifting weights is the most important. It really is. but an elliptical is a very good low impact calorie burn. Just don't be lazy on it. You need to raise the intensity level up. Push yourself and switch things up sometimes. (intensity, elevation, rpm, direction)
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can burn just as many calories as you would with running depending on your intensity. Just don't stick to level one. You need to get the resistance up. Fat burn, random, and hill climb are really good and get your heart rate up.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a cheap one, you will not be happy. You want a good one that's super sturdy and doesn't squeak with every rotation. You also want to look for a good stride length. Craigslist in the US is your best bet. My mom just got a newer model of the Nordic Track for a bargain!