strong is the new skinny...or is it?

Options
13»

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Another (shorter) article by a different blogger that would like to stop promoting unrealistic beauty ideals:

http://www.radicalhateloss.com/2011/02/do-we-really-want-strong-to-be-new.html
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to be strong. I'm trying to get strong but I hate when the "strong is the new skinny" mentality turns to skinny bashing. Some people are just naturally skinny or prefer to stay the way they are. Skinny has a very bad rep for many reasons, many of which I agree with, but skinny shaming is just as bad as anything else. As long as you're generally healthy, that's all that matters.

I also hate skinny bashing (I'm a skinny girl), but the author of the original link posted did a very good job of staying away from skinny bashing, though.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Strong is the new skinny only if you workout in teeeeeeny tiny shorts and exercise bras and always maintain your tan. Otherwise you might as well be fat!

I like the idea, but I agree with the article. I'd rather go with 'Healthy is just generally better overall...'
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't like the article because I am one of those people who thinks like a scientist which she basically says doesn't exist but, what I seem to be getting out of it, is that "Strong is the new skinny" is bad because people are too dumb/lazy to realize/do the work it takes to get strong. There are plenty of girls on this site that squat heavy and have slim thighs. Take a glance through my friends list if you doubt it, Heck, I'll even claim myself to be in this category, I had a thigh gap at 130 pounds with a 1RM around that weight.

I agree that it can be misleading to show women who are cut up for photo shoots, but seriously take a look at most bodybuilding women on their off season and they still look great, and they still are strong. They still can have visible abs and slim thighs.

I don't think the author of that article has any concept of how much muscle it takes to do something like squatting your body weight or deadlifting twice that. She seems to be under the delusion that you have to be big and bulky to accomplish such things.