Help-Standing on my feet all day

Options
So I'm trying to do some research. I stand on my feet all day at my newly acquired job- first two days of the job, and I have this insane swelling and foot pain. I have good shoes, but I am going to go get better inserts at this point.
I am on my feet almost 10 hours a day, or on my knees sometimes doing inventory auditing for a company at various stores.
I was wondering, besides general weight loss, were there any excersizes to help with feet swelling/strengthening feet (maybe my ankles? My calves feel fine, just my feet- my big toes are all but numb).

1. I am not diabetic, I've been tested so many times because people assume because of my weight. I've been tested recently. So no, I am not diabetic.
2. I work out regularly, 3-4 times week
3. I try to during 15 glasses of water, but my new job makes it hard to keep up with that, as I only get 2 breaks (10 minuet, and 30 minuet lunch).

Replies

• lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? I was thinking, maybe if you could do something to let your feet rest, say like swimming, then maybe your feet could get in a different angle and be able to get the fluid out of your feet. I have a slight swelling problem as well but I don't have access to a pool. But I sit down a lot; life of a desk job... and school and whatever else is going on! I spend far too much time in front of the computer.

If you are having bad swelling, i'd put your feet up after work, for a bit. Definitely good inserts will help at least fatigue or pain on your feet.

Can you keep some water with you? Some jobs are flexible about such things. Keep a waterbottle with you on your cart or whatever you can carry there.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Saddly, it's store-to-store policy, and it's a resounding general 'no' to allow me to have water. Even if I had it, say like a camel back and not like getting anywhere on the merchendise either. So it really, really, sucks. And I can feel the drain by the middle of it- as I'm so used to just getting water whenever.
  • JennieDNP
    JennieDNP Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Compression socks. You can get them at a nursing uniform store or order them online. I'm sure if you checked Amazon.com they would have something. Also, watch your sodium intake. It has a minor effect on swelling, but it may be enough to make a difference.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    lye on the floor with your legs up against a wall, you may feel silly but it feels soooo good when you've been on your feet all day and totally agree with the compression socks and swimming folks have posted:smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sorbothane insoles are good, and you may need to go a half-size bigger on your shoes or lace them looser - that's what I have to do for long runs when my feel swell. Try marching on the spot, or up and down behind the counter, and doing calf raises. That's what members of the Household Cavalry to to not faint while on parade!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! This is way better then having to dig through google for answers. :3

The calve raises is defiantly going to be on the list of things to do inbetween sets I have.
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you have "good shoes." But what type?

A few weeks during the year, I do a series of trade shows, and I swear by my Dansko shoes. I'm on my feet 10-12 hours a day, and standing on concrete/tile flooring. By the end of the day, my feet are still a little sore, but in regular shoes (not Dansko) my feet hurt A LOT more. They can be a little pricey. But sometimes you can find deals online, although I would try some on in person, to confirm your sizing.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Options
    For the uniform I'm required to wear all black shoes- including the soles to be black. Anything else is pruely up to me as long as they are black and sneeker.

I have a pair of sketchers-work, with a pair of inserts in them- but I am more then likely get better inserts in them today. Most likely after a paycheck, I will be intrested in better shoes if the inserts do not provide that which I need.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I was going to focus on the shoes as well - even "good shoes" may not be exactly right for YOU, if that makes sense. It may take some trial and error to find the shoes that work best. My go-to site/brand is shoesforcrews.com - they have a ton of styles, and as they're designed specifically to provide traction on slippery surfaces, I'll often wear mine during icy conditions in the winter, even when I'm not going to work. Might be worth a look? I've stood all day on concrete in these things and was only a little sore afterwards - not incapacitated as I might have been in different shoes. (I have plates and such in both ankles due to a car wreck many years ago, and they swell up like crazy after hours of standing, so I definitely get the ankle issues!)

Good luck!