Morning exercisers...

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
I am super busy with school and work right now, plus I've joined a gym that has fitness classes several times a week. I've started getting up at 5 am to get my run in (training for a 10k) a couple times a week. Feels great - I have been burning about 300 calories and I get it out of the way. Only problem is...by the time evening rolls around, I feel sluggish and like I need to exercise and like I am being lazy if I don't! Does anyone else have this experience?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I workout in the mornings I'm up by 4:30. My best suggestion to not feeling sluggish at night is to keep a lot of protein and fiber. The fiber fills me up and the protein makes me feel energized. I usually eat a protein bar on my way home. If I'm just sitting in front of the TV there's no avoiding me feeling asleep on the couch. I usually have more energy throughout the day when I workout in the mornings. I need to get back in that practice!
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As a former morning workout-er, I can totally relate to this post. I realized that I just wanted to kick back and relax when I got off work and would fill the time by watching tv and being bored. So I changed my routine to afternoon workouts. I get to sleep in later, stay up later at night (so I still get in my tv time) but work out in the afternoons. My energy stays balanced throughout the day, I'm getting good rest, and I perform better and work harder in my workouts so I burn more calories doing the same workout I would be doing in the morning. Just some food for thought. I got up at 4:30 and worked out for 2 years straight then one day just decided I couldn't do it anymore because I felt sluggish at night for a couple months - always falling asleep shortly after my 8pm tv show would come on, always being too tired to play with my daughter or umm...have fun before bed. It was taking a toll everywhere. So you may want to consider changing your perspective?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have YEARS of working out under my belt, but just worked out in the morning for the very first time TODAY. I'm curious to see how this affects me overall. So far I've felt really great - I felt DYNAMITE this morning! - but expect to be more tired this evening. On the other hand, I always seem to catch a second wind around 9pm ... so maybe it will be for the better for me. I'm kind of hoping that I can do a circuit training wotkout in the mornings, and something more fun in the evenings, like get back into my bellydancing. But we'll see how it goes :glasses:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would workout in the afternoons if I had that option. I go back and forth from mornings to evenings depending on what I have going on that particular day. If I have something to do at night I don't have a problem getting up in the morning to workout. Still have enough energy till at least 10 or 11 at night unless I'm just sitting. If I'm just sitting I get tired. That happens regardless of what time I get up. I can't just "sit".
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning but I get that being lazy feeling at nights sometimes. Like I should be exercising again. Some times I will go for a walk or just go out and do a little yard work that is not strenuous (unless I need the calories). Other nights I just go have a bath and relax. The lazy feeling for me goes away most of the time
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just started working out twice a day (just to increase my cardio to kickstart the 2nd half of my weight loss - otherwise, I don't have enough time at night), once in the morning, once at night... but only on certain days. I did this yesterday and I was feeling pretty sluggish by the afternoon but once I worked out at night, I felt great, energized, then SPENT and fell asleep around 10:30. I see that as a good thing, though. We want to fatigue our muscles, right? I've definitely been working on getting up to my fiber goal and protein goal and have been getting close - today I'm even going over on both! - so I'm just waiting for my body to adjust to the changes and I figure I'll be fine.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I also do all my workouts really early in the morning and found that if I eat something small before my workout, like a banana, then eat a full breakfast (~500 cals), I'll have the energy for the day and don't feel like completely shot late in the day. If I have a smaller breakfast I'll be dead tired by 7 at night.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning but I get that being lazy feeling at nights sometimes. Like I should be exercising again. Some times I will go for a walk or just go out and do a little yard work that is not strenuous (unless I need the calories). Other nights I just go have a bath and relax. The lazy feeling for me goes away most of the time

I have always loved exercising in the morning. When evening rolls around it does feel like forever since I worked out... and sometimes I feel a little guilty. I'd feel lazy if I had time! lol