Could this be why i am not loosing weight?

Options
I've noticed ive been going over my sugar allowence daily and sometimes its -51. If i go over any of the nutrients listed in the diary even one day can it stop me from loosing weight? even if it is just one of them eg. protein, i've noticed i mainly go over protein, carbs and sugars. I am going to start planning my meals and filling in the diary in the morning so i can do my best not to go over. I think my vice is cups of tea to be honest.

Replies

• Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    no ,eating at a caloire surplus or maintainence would be why your not losing weight, if your not diabetic or have any other health problems dont worry too much about sugar
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I couldnt be more confused by all this dieting stuff, im eating 1200 calories a day, im going to the gym at least 4 times a week, yesterday for the first time i managed to burn 450 calories. i didnt eat them calories back simply because i wasnt hungry. I've been doing this for weeks the first week was fine the other 3 arent going as well. My tracker only says 10lbs because i joined ages ago but have only just re-started dieting 4 weeks ago.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. Your weight loss is dependant on your calories, not on any of your specific nutrients. If you are not going over by miles and you don't have diabetes then don't worry too much , especially if the sugars are coming from fruit rather than refined sugars.

From a weight loss perspective these numbers are completely irrelevant and can therefore just be used as a general guide from a health perspective. Almost anyone who eats a reasonable amount of fruit is likely to go over on sugar but as long as its within your calorie count it's all OK.

If you are lifting weights your nutrients may become more relevant but you would not be advised to use the standard MFP ones in that case anyway.

If you are not losing weight there is another reason. What is your BMR,TDEE and what are your net daily calories???
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can't have too much protein, but if you are going over your carbs and sugars it can definitely stunt your progress. Sugar and carbohydrates release insulin, which stores fat. I would increase my protein levels and lower the other two to stay in the same caloric range.
    Good luck!
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Hi, I see that you like tea and i love it myself. I dont know whether its better for you or not but maybe cut to one of the no calorie sweetners vs sugar. I heard there are some weird ingredients in them though or they get processed differently. I dont know all of the specifics, my dietician just advised me to use a little splenda or something in place of my sugar so I try to do that sometimes and that does seem to cut my sugar intake. From what I have read on here, most people will have plenty to say about your 1200 calorie diet...:-(
    Good luck!! Dont get discouraged because of a few bad days, find what works for you and follow it as best you can.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I couldnt be more confused by all this dieting stuff, im eating 1200 calories a day, im going to the gym at least 4 times a week, yesterday for the first time i managed to burn 450 calories. i didnt eat them calories back simply because i wasnt hungry. I've been doing this for weeks the first week was fine the other 3 arent going as well. My tracker only says 10lbs because i joined ages ago but have only just re-started dieting 4 weeks ago.

You should be netting 1200 calories (possibly more) i.e eating back your exercise calories. If you are eating 1200 and then exercising 450 then you are only netting 750!!! Not good!
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    so on that gym day you ate 1200 calories and burned 450? so you only ate NET 750?

way too low! even 1200 calories is too low.

search for "in place of a road map" on the forums, figure out your TDEE and go from there
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    but if you are going over your carbs and sugars it can definitely stunt your progress. Sugar and carbohydrates release insulin, which stores fat.

going by your picture i dont really think i should be arguing, but im calling BS on that statement!

a calorie is a calorie, UNLESS you have previous health problems like diabetes or insulin resistence
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If you are using the basic MFP settings, you should probably always be going over in protein!!
    I eat 100-150 daily.

Sugars aren't a big deal if they are naturally occurring sugars (like in fruits and veggies)

BUT- it is a very good Idea to,preplan meals! (IMO)
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You can't have too much protein, but if you are going over your carbs and sugars it can definitely stunt your progress. Sugar and carbohydrates release insulin, which stores fat. I would increase my protein levels and lower the other two to stay in the same caloric range.
    Good luck!

This.

and you might like to add "if you re not eating enough 'essential fats' your body will know and start to hoard fat regardless of your restricted calories.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

It's just a shame that protein releases insulin as well . . .

You're not losing because, more than likely, you're over eating.

I would start by getting a food scale and weighing and measuring your food (if you aren't already). If you are over eating you might slowly want to create a deficit.

If you're food intake is being logged accurately and you're still not losing then your activity level may need adjusting.
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie, Reecybaby. If I ate 2500 calories a day of donuts and cake, I assure you I would look very different than if I ate 2500 calories of the proper macro nutrients.
    Mr.Dexter is correct as well, the need for essential fats as an energy source (instead of inefficient carbs) to release fat burning hormones.
  • crlwhite
    crlwhite Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it may be more likely that you are not logging every last thing you eat or drink. Have you ever seen the show Secret Eaters? While your case is probably not that extreme, the show really illustrates how easy it is to overlook extra sources of calories and to underestimate our portions. It also provides tips to avoid certain habits that prevent us from losing weight. Regardless, check out the show. You can watch it on youtube in the US.
    Good Luck!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie, Reecybaby. If I ate 2500 calories a day of donuts and cake, I assure you I would look very different than if I ate 2500 calories of the proper macro nutrients.
    Mr.Dexter is correct as well, the need for essential fats as an energy source (instead of inefficient carbs) to release fat burning hormones.

Yes. You would most certainly LOOK different because you wouldn't be getting the proper macronutrients.

However, you would still lose weight at long as you're expending more energy than you're consuming.

Yes, agreed. Fats are important.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Net fat accumulation over 24 hour periods will not occur in the absence of an energy surplus regardless of insulin.

An energy surplus is a requirement.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    High sugar may cause a problem, as previously mentioned it increases the release of insulin, which stores fat. I tried for three months, calorie counting, exercising four to five times a week, and lost nothing. Went to docs found out I was diabetic, had way to much glucose and insulin in my body this wouldn'd allow me to loose weight. I'm starting to get my glucose under control and watching the sugars and carbs, therefore less insulin produced, therefore weight loss, only 2lbs so far though before I joined this site.
  • Silver82
    Silver82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Here is your problem ^

Believe it or not you're not eating enough calories to compensate for the amount of calories you're burning. I struggled with this for a long time until I was ready to have a mental break down. I knew everything I ate, I worked out hard, and everything came to a stop. You -must- eat your calories back. Even if that means eating higher calorie meals each meal before you go work out. Just make sure that -what- you are eating is healthy. I can almost promise you that if you start eating more calories and stick with the exercise you're going to feel great and that weight will start coming back off.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Net fat accumulation over 24 hour periods will not occur in the absence of an energy surplus regardless of insulin.

An energy surplus is a requirement.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Agreed. Spiked insulin can inhibit proper fat burn (burning mostly fat as opposed to burning fat and muscle while on a deficit), but you aren't going to gain fat while eating at a deficit. Even if you eat all donuts. You'll burn more muscle than if you eat the proper amount of proteins and fats for your body composition, but you won't add fat.

Look, OP. Here's what everyone is trying to say. Eat the right foods while losing weight (work out your personal macro goals, get a good amount of fats and proteins and don't eat too many refined carbs) and your body will look better when you reach your goal weight than if you merely eat at a deficit. But sugars aren't going to keep you from losing weight.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think you are off track with what what the issue is. If you net 750 calories and aer only eating 1200 normally, that is a red flag in my book.

Figure out your BMR and TDEE, never eat NET below your BMR and eat under your TDEE to lose weight. I see a lot of people set the mfp goals to lose 2 lbs per week and it just arbitrarily drops them to 1200.
    Try resetting your goal to 1lbs per week, or manually set with 10-20% below TDEE.

In short, chances are that you are eating too little, and you have caused your body to slow its metabolism in an effort to fight off starvation. Some people refer to this as starvation mode. more or less. .