Please think of those poor families in Cumbria UK

Options
Ms_Natalie
Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
OMG...my mother just phoned me to tell me about the events that have been unfolding today. usually, I am right on the ball with the news headlines but have spent most of the day limping about the house doing a little spring cleaning.

A man from the UK drove to 30 different areas in Cumbria and killed 12 people....many others are still in hospital with severe and critical injuries. I am training to become a clinical psychologist and understand the awful states people can get in with regards to mental disorders, but seeing something like this on the news baffles me as much as the next person.

Please keep the families in your thoughts and say a prayer for the victims of this horrendous crime....it must be one of the first mass murders by a single person in UK history. It's absolutely terrible :frown:

Replies

• muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sadly this happened 23 years ago in Hungerford, where 14 people were killed. At that time all handguns were banned in the UK.

Luckily you were very young then, so you won't remember it, and thankfully these things only happen very very rarely in the UK.

MK
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Sadly this happened 23 years ago in Hungerford, where 14 people were killed. At that time all handguns were banned in the UK.

Luckily you were very young then, so you won't remember it, and thankfully these things only happen very very rarely in the UK.

MK

Yes, I just heard them mention Hungerford =( and not forgetting Dunblane (I think I was about 8 at the time)...it's absolutely terrible xx
  • RhondaCrombie
    Options
    Oh, how horrible! I am so sorry to hear this news.:sick: :sad:
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    God bless them and there families X
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    News does travel, I heard something about this on a noon (Pacific Time, USA Wednesday) news program out of Seattle, WA, but only heard part of the story, so didn't know where they were talking about.

How sad. Did they catch the shooter, or did he take his own life as well?
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I believe he took his own life as well.
  • rells
    rells Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I live in South Cumbria and it came as a numbing shock to here what had happened that morning. My mum text me to check where I was. Even though I rarely go to that particular area. The first thing you think is of who ever was involved and hurt by this. And do you know them. But it does bring it home to you. When you hear family and friends saying there were warnings to "keep inside as there was a gunman driving around shooting people". Plus one of my friends knew the young farmer/ rugby league player that was killed.
    From what I've seen on T.V. one witness said he looked so ordinary. Many say the gunman had always been a nice man. Except for that weekend when he didn't go to work on the Friday and was seen very drunk in Whitehaven. Then that awful morning when he set off from home one of his neighbour said, "unusually he didn't say hello and looked a different man, very sad."
    Little did they know he was the owner of a gun and a rifle.
    I think his reasons were many upsets and angers at others that finally it had been something linked to his family that had triggered him to react in this way. And from the fact that he had told a work mate that he wouldn't see him again I think he had planned to kill himself.
    As well as the friends & relative that have been affected, I also feel for all the Dr's and helicopter/ ambulance, police crews that dealt with the carnage this man Bird left in his wake.

On a lighter note and relevant to this site. It makes me appreciate to be alive and getting healthier, and to know that there are people logging on all over the world, sharing/ and helping others to feel better & positive about themselves. There is a lot of goodwill out there.
    Rells.:)