protein drinks before workout

Options
Is it worth it? Can somebody explain exactly why it's recommended over energy bars or whatever? What exactly does it do for you? Will it help me get stronger and smaller any faster than without it? And you do drink a protein drink before you go to the gym, how soon before?

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally i don't drink them before i workout i eat.

I train in the mornings so breakfast on a lift day is eggs with ham and spinach (or similar) on some bread.

Post gym i drink a protein shake.

This sits better on my stomach i find but it may be more convenient for you to drink it before (or during) your workout.

The important thing is that you are taking the protein in to repair the muscle
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you are taking the protein in to repair the muscle

So really, if, hypothetically of course, my gym buddy and I went out for sushi after a workout, and I got a plate of salmon sashimi, it would be just as good?
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yeah...

Whey is just a quick method of shoving a large amount of protein into your system.
  • Ducey99
    Ducey99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are best used for convenience. There's a myth that you need to get in so much protein within so much time after you workout, but this is not supported by the evidence.
    I use protein shakes to makes sure I hit my overall goal for the day and at times when a meal isn't an option. For example, I workout early morning, before work. I get up, down a shake, hit the gym, another shake, then work. Gets me my 50g of protein and it's all I really have time for. I don't eat actual food until a couple of hours later (usually a few eggs and some bacon :) ). I'll also have a shake before bed if I need the protein. It doesn't sit in my stomach while i'm trying to sleep as food would.