Fruit makes my sugar allowance well over?

2»

Replies

• snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    This post just changed my life! haha. I've been stressing about my sugar levels, but after reading everyone's responses (no I don't have any NEED to watch my sugar levels (diabetes, etc.) and I consume VERY little sugar outside of fruits and veggies) so I just changed my "sugar" tracker to "iron." Super happy with that! Thanks everybody!

:D
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I ignore the sugar. I did that ages ago & have not looked back. MFP cant tell the difference between good & bad sugar so I got rid of looking at it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I used to eat like 5-6 servings of fruit a day. I love fruit. Then I realized if I wanted to stay under my sugar goal I would have to limit my intake to maybe one piece a day. I did that for awhile and was miserable. Now I eat as much fruit as I want. I do have a rule for myself though- I must have a minimum of 1 to 1 vegetable to fruit ratio. If I have already had an apple and some strawberries, I need to eat two servings of vegetables before I can have my clementine or my peach. 1 to 1 ratio may not be ideal, but I used to eat no vegetables. I am a work in progress.

I do try and cut down on apples and bananas though. I don't think they're evil or anything, but they do pack a higher caloric punch than some other fruits. I can take or leave bananas so that is easy. I love apples though. I probably eat one every other day. I have strawberries and some kind of citrus fruit every day.

Don't worry about apples, eat them, they are approximately 80 calories apiece and have toxin cleansing properties and are excellent for lung health and helping with conditions such as asthma.

Bananas are between 80-110 calories (depending on size) and are brilliant for a quick fix of energy say, before a race (if you run), I usually eat one or two before my training run.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    toxin cleansing properties

Oh god.
  • __Di__

Oh god.

Google it instead of jumping to conclusions.

Apples clean your blood, they are your friend.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Oh god.

That's wonderful. My blood is filthy!
  • __Di__

Oh god.

That's wonderful. My blood is filthy!

Mine's not, I eat lots of apples.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336