What to take if there's NO fridge or microwave?

Options
Okay, this has probably been asked before, but I could use a little bit of help. I'm going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta for Labor Day Weekend, and the hotel room I'm using does not have a microwave or a fridge. Also, I have Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure, so I have to be wary of my food choices.

I don't want to eat out in Atlanta for at least four straight days, especially with the huge portions of food and the incurring costs. I know there's a couple of buffet restaurants (which gives me the freedom to control the portions) in the Peachtree Mall, but I don't want to do that too often, either.

What would be some good food suggestions for this situation? (Pop Tarts are already on the list. Would taste better warm, but at least they won't spoil if they're not refrigerated.)

Replies

• todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, jerky, nuts......could you go to the store once you get there and buy a cheap styrofoam cooler? hotel probably has ice machine then you could store some cold things.......
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Cheeses such as cheddar store well in an air-conditioned room. Cheese and crackers is one of my go-to road trip foods. I also like baby carrots, v8 juice, and hard-boiled eggs. The eggs would travel fine in a small cooler, and the hotel should have an ice machine.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, jerky, nuts......could you go to the store once you get there and buy a cheap styrofoam cooler? hotel probably has ice machine then you could store some cold things.......
    Yeah, that would work. Could buy some Chobani and/or Oikos yogurt and have them for meals. Jerky's a good choice also with the higher protein.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. They're a tremendous help. :flowerforyou:
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Most hotels will allow you to rent a refrigerator for like $10/day. We had to do this all the time when my babies were still nursing or taking bottles. If you have a fridge, your options go up exponentially. You can pack any kind of salad, sandwiches, wraps, yogurt, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. Good luck!
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Almonds and pistachios (reduced sodium ones). Peanut butter on some Mayr's Gone Crackers (awesome if you haven't tried them yet). Does the room have a coffee pot? Could just make hot water with it and make some instant noodles or soups.