What do you wear to work?

Options
PinkEarthMama
PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
I start a new job Monday and the dress code is "business casual".

I have no idea what business casual IS. I've been a work at home mom for the last 9 years!

What do you wear to work? Are you the best dressed? Do you admit to being the least well dressed?

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    My company is mostly business casual, at least while we are in the office. At events and board meetings, it is definitely business (suits).

I wear black pants, nice sweaters, dress shoes, or a skirt and a nice top. I would stick to more business than casual: no flip-flops, jeans, tshirts, or too casual. It is still work, and a professional image is still important. Even on our casual Fridays, when we can wear jeans, I make sure to wear a dressier top and nice shoes, not sneakers.

I am not the best dressed at my company, but I look professional and like I belong there.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Try some slacks and a blouse
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    something classic.
    blacks, greys, nudes, blues
    slacks, skirts(at knee length) or longer dresses
    clean shoes, heels
    make sure ur jewelry isn't all loud and blingy
    clean hair, light makeup

tumblr_lnxmy5Gjgd1qc1mkso1_400.jpg
  • Mattsama
    Mattsama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Air Force Standard Issue ABUs...

Imagine my embarassment when I showed up and everyone was wearing the same thing....
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to congratulate you on your new job :flowerforyou:
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher so I always have to look professional...i lean towards the business casual look. I always have black pants, regular and the skinny jean type. You can switch them up with different blouses. Easy and comfortable!
  • PinkEarthMama
    Options
    Air Force Standard Issue ABUs...

Imagine my embarassment when I showed up and everyone was wearing the same thing....

Love this.
  • Cp731
    Options
    9-1.jpg
  • Cp731
    Options
    brayliework_zpse6a40bda.png
  • skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Dress pants (I go with the classic boot cut) or skirts (knee length or longer). I kind of like the 'skinny' pant look but try to avoid what's temporarily in-style so that I have the main staples in my closet. Button up shirts and silk blouses make me feel more professional. My favorite store to shop is New York & Co (when they have sales). Most of their clothing are classic styles that will be able to hang around in your closet for a while, and the fits are usually flattering. I wouldn't say I'm the "best dressed" but I get a lot of compliments on my wardrobe - including from my boss! Kohls usually has a pretty decent selection too.
  • Cp731
    Options
    B-work-1.jpg
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Dress pants, heels, dressy tops.

I work with people that are 50+ years old, they are wearing stretch pants, sweats and sneakers to work. That's dressy to them. I guess it's a matter of opinion. They also don't leave the office like I do, so maybe that's another reason they get away with it.
  • Cp731
    Options
  • PinkEarthMama
    Options

I work with people that are 50+ years old, they are wearing stretch pants, sweats and sneakers to work. That's dressy to them. I guess it's a matter of opinion. They also don't leave the office like I do, so maybe that's another reason they get away with it.

Sweats and sneakers!?

I can't wear heels, which makes me sad. :-(

I am in the front office dealing with the general public. Face of the company, first impressions, blah blah.
  • Cp731
    Options
    143118_DSC00973_2_.jpg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I work in a Foundry. I wear Levis, Steel Toed Boots, ****ies or Carhart shirts. Hard Hat.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    business casual is a step down from suits. So pretty much anything in the professional section of a department store. Slacks, blouses, blazers, skirts. Flats or heels. Tasteful but not overpowering accessories.

I'd suggest picking one main color such as black/brown and buy some coordinates to start with, then expand a piece or two a month until you have a nice selection. Also layers and cardigans can help extend your wardrobe through seasons.

Also, be careful, some places are okay with sleeveless (not straps) some places aren't.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Sweats and sneakers!?

I can't wear heels, which makes me sad. :-(

I am in the front office dealing with the general public. Face of the company, first impressions, blah blah.
    Yes, trust me...it's extremely awkward for me to be in a room with four other ladies and I'm the only one dressed for the job. They've been given the dress code printed out for them several times last year, and still...same stuff. The one woman I work with said she wears the same black stretch pants all week, and washes them on the weekend, which is gross to me. Only because she's always complaining that it's hot and she's sweating.

I can wear heals, but I don't always wear heels. Sometimes I wear flats....they have really cute flats out nowadays. Very girly, and so many different color options.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the type of job/company and your environment. You said "front office", is your position in reception? You may not need to be dressed up as formally as higher-up positions in the workplace.

If you're not completely comfortable going all out, I think a nice dressy pair of jeans can still be consider business casual as long as you match it with a more professional top/accessories.

Don't bother with heels if you're not comfortable in them, they will just make you feel less-confident and it will show. Invest in some nice flats or low wedges.

No matter what though, CONGRATS! You got the job, now just rock it! : )
  • Cp731
    Options
    why cant u wear heels?