85% vs. Lean Beef

Options
clobern
clobern Posts: 341 Member
Hey all,

So I am following more of a low carb AND low calorie mealplan, working well for me so far though soon I will start adding in the healthy complex carbs. But for now, a lot of meat goes down my gullet. My question is... is it really worth spending the extra money on lean or extra lean beef over the 85% fat stuff? I know it is obviously healthier, but if I stay under my calories and (for me) carb count, is it worth spending the extra dough?

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    It probably really depends on your other calorie consumption throughout the day/week. Ask yourself if you can afford the extra 50 calories, 2x Total Fat and 2x Saturated Fat? I'd venture to guess you can adjust your other nutrition accordingly for the day/week to do fine with the 85/15.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I googled this once and don't remember the exact link but if you drain, wash, and dry the 85/15 after browning it comes out to being just like the more expensive stuff.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I googled this once and don't remember the exact link but if you drain, wash, and dry the 85/15 after browning it comes out to being just like the more expensive stuff.

But with absolutely no flavor.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd let your macros and taste preferences dictate your decision.

For example, I use the fattiest ground beef I can find for burgers (lean stuff is too dry), but the leanest I can find for things like tacos, sloppy joes, etc.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I use 93/7 for everything because it fits my macros.

Except bacon. But it isn't beef, so never mind.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

For example, I use the fattiest ground beef I can find for burgers (lean stuff is too dry), but the leanest I can find for things like tacos, sloppy joes, etc.

This ^^^

Pretty much same for me. I like my burgers on the grill and fatty...not so much when I cook it in a skillet.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If it's 100% grass-fed, then I don't care so much about the fat. If not, leaner is better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Washing ground beef after it's cooked? Why!?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Washing ground beef after it's cooked? Why!?

To remove all flavor . . . yum, beef that tastes like bean curd.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

So I am following more of a low carb AND low calorie mealplan, working well for me so far though soon I will start adding in the healthy complex carbs. But for now, a lot of meat goes down my gullet. My question is... is it really worth spending the extra money on lean or extra lean beef over the 85% fat stuff? I know it is obviously healthier, but if I stay under my calories and (for me) carb count, is it worth spending the extra dough?

Personally I think its worth it. I get 95/5 and I can eat a good amount more of that with 300 calories worth as opposed to 85/15.
    If money is not an issue go for it. I get it for 4.99 lb.

I also shell out of rthe 95/5. I get to eat a lot more of it without the calories and fat.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    actually the "more expensive stuff" isn't more expensive. When you buy 85/15 you are paying for 15% fat. When you buy 96/4 you are paying for only 4% fat. Some fat is needed in the meat for flavor and to keep it from being too dry. You can see the ifference in the pan--96% lean has very little fat left in the pan--in fact you might need to spray with Pam to keep it from sticking. 85% is swimming in fat that has to be drained from the pan. I would rather pay for meat than fat.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Yep...this ^^
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options

This. 80%-85% tastes much better for burgers. For tacos or other things with lots of seasoning, get the lean stuff. You taste mostly seasonings anyway.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Yep. Burgers definitely need an 80/20 or 85/15 or they are like eating sawdust burgers. Everything else, I use 90/10 or 93/7 (depends on what I find when I go to the store, and I don't spend the extra $2/lb for a 3% difference).
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat ground beef once a week. Usually tacos. I get 90 if I can 85 if not. Since I don't eat red meat often, to us it doesn't really matter. I enjoy the fattier flavor of 85.

90+ here in New York is 6.99/lb more if it's grass fed
    85 here is 4.99
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    if i use 85% or less i drain, then rinse, then dry, then spice.
  • RyanOnInsanity
    RyanOnInsanity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If it's 100% grass-fed, then I don't care so much about the fat. If not, leaner is better.

agreed
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I buy mostly 85% b/c that's what is most readily available in organic where I shop. If both were available regularly, I'd buy mostly 93% and only buy the 85% for burgers.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I eat only 93/7. I buy it up when it goes on sale in bulk packaging and portion it out.