Exercise Question

Options
I need some help in understanding this situation. Last Saturday when I weighed in I finally hit 200 that's 50+ pounds gone. However, since then I have been doing my usual Zumba, yard work and a new class to me Drums Alive. Well Sunday nite and Monday I was so sore and gained almost 7 pounds. I know I did not eat enough calories for this gain and although i may not mark the water i do drink plenty, but I often see better numbers on the scale when I have not been getting exercise, is this normal?

Replies

• Pickypeggy
    Pickypeggy Posts: 33
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'd blame it on the new class, at least partly, especially since you are so sore. A new exercise will often stick me with a gain - sore muscles retain water to repair and heal. Hang in there and keep at it, I bet you'll see that gain drop back down again soon. Just make sure that with all your exercise, especially adding more, you are eating enough food to fuel that body. Undereating can cause a stall and even gains. Food is fuel!
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    I agree that it is probably water retention. Make sure you are eating enough, getting enough fluids and stick with it. I would probably weight yourself again after about 1-2 weeks of starting a new program. It gives your body some time to adjust.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Water retention is the culprit. Your muscles are working on healing so they keep water to help. Other non-exercise related gains can often be due to sodium...if your weight is up, check your diary for the past few days and look at your sodium numbers. Either way, try eating/drinking more anti-inflammatory foods. Smoothie with Kale will help, or water with sliced cucumber and ginger soaking in it not only tastes delicious but helps with retention from anything. Plus green tea!!