Help with Polar FT4?!

Options
I have been using my Polar FT4 since December when I got it. Lately I have been noticing that my calories burned seems really low. For example on my run the other day, it went two minutes before it said I had burned any calories. I just did HHA and usually burn between 150-170 and my HRM only said 111 for today. Could it be the battery already? It seems like it takes a while to get going but then starts to work. Help! Any input would be appreciated. I know having it say low numbers instead of high is good, but I would like it to be accurate. Thanks

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine just crapped out this past week and i had to reorder of a new chest strap. i was notciing that half of my work out wasn't detecting my HR. I am also small and had a XL strap which probably didnt help. The batter on the F4 does go fast though. I changed it three times in four months :/
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Do you wash your strap in the washing machine once a week? If you've had it less than 6 months they will replace your battery for free. If longer than that, you pay $20. They sent me a new chest strap, it's a new model than my old one, and now things are better.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I worry about this all the time! I adjust the strap to what I assume is the right position, but with my bra over the top and clothes, I panic that it's not ready my heart rate properly.

I don't eat all my exercise calories back usually, but do obviously use a majority of them!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Have you washed the strap? You should wash the strap every few days. you'll obviously want to take off the part that snaps on, then you can just toss it (the strap) in the washer. I put mine in a mesh bag so I won't forget and toss it in the dryer. It sounds weird, but it really helps-I think sweat and dirt must make it hard for it to pick up your heart rate. Hope this helps!
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This happen to mine in the past. I've found that washing it regularly fixes this issue. Also, have you adjusted your weight as you've lost? You'll lose fewer calories as you lose more weight. If you haven't adjusted your weight, your heart rate may not match the info you've entered into the watch and may be throwing it off.

I love my FT4. I hope you get it figured out! :smile:
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought a new strap in November last year and just had to buy a new strap. They were like $18 just for the strap. After time, washing them just doesn't work anymore.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - dead or dying battery or dirty strap.
  • TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I think I will try washing the strap and if that doesn't work I will replace the battery. Thanks for the help!