Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Swimming Calories?? Anyone help with calculators?

kwaters7
kwaters7 Posts: 129
edited 2:02AM in Fitness and Exercise
Ok - here goes.. I did 4+ hours cardio but removed the expenditure update as the swimming estimates seem real high.

This one gets me, you cant use a HRM and the categories are for things like "Breast stroke, general". I don't wanna over-estimate my calories but there are huge variations in terms of speed between swimmers and energy expenditure even on the same stroke.

Now, I can do a 2k in the pool about 15 mins faster than I used to be able to but there's no breakdowns for speed (as you get with running etc). The MFP estimates seem high, could it be because i keep steady breathing throughout and don't get the sense of exertion from a weight bearing exercise - eg running on a cold morning. I guess you don't get an indicator from sweat levels either...

So - anyone out there know a good site that breaks it down (speed, distance etc) and can give a fairly accurate estimation?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Are you sure you can't use your heart rate monitor in the pool? I went swimming with a friend a few weeks ago and she wore hers. Aside from hearing the beeping while you're under water, it worked just fine...
  • I found this one... do not know how accurate it is, though.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    I wear my cheap polar F4 in the pool. Anything that is "water resistant" can handle around 10-20' depth.

I'm not going to guess on some generic sliding scale calculator, I can speak only from my own experience. I am a triathlete and swim train regularly (usually in the ocean though), and if I'm in my 70%-80% heart rate threshold, I burn 8-10 calories per minute, 80-90%, I'm closer to the 10-12 calorie per minute. During a race, I am closer to 12-15 per minute (stupid anxiety!)

This probably doesn't help you at all, but for 15 minutes at a good aggressive stroke, you could be somewhere between 120-150 calories (not knowing anything about you of course!) and being conservative too so not to overestimate, or 5-600 per hour???

Spend that 2 cents carefully.

Good luck...
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Thanks guys. Yeah my HRM works to 30m - just assumed it wouldnt work under water. The chances of me wearing the band across my chest in a public pool in Glasgow are slim and none tho...

@ SashtaAngel I checked the rec and the site seems better than most. Thanks!
    @Hermit4Hire - Great insight!
This discussion has been closed.