120 lbs to lose and feeling overwhelmed

Options

Replies

• zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    You know what? I LOVE to look at the 'success stories' section of the message boards and look at the people who have lost a WHOLE bunch of weight. Then I think to myself, "Damn, real people did that with no surgeries or weird diets and I can too." It keeps me inspired. I don't set a time frame, I just set those small goals. I still haven't made friends with the exercise thing yet, so that's my next step. There will be days when we say, "screw it" and feel guilty over something. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!! It's going to take time but it will be soooooo worth it!

i love reading the "success stories" here too! it is major motivation for me! just seeng these transformations is truly a wake up call for me regardless if the person lost 5, 10, 50, 100+ lbs. these people look absolutely fantastic and are amazing to be able to change their lifestyle, stick with it and chip away at their goals. if these people can do it than damn it i can better myself and do it too!

these small goals add up. im only losing around 1 lb a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. but when all those little pounds and ounces add up im like "damn! i lost 5 lbs already and lost x inches! all right!!" :drinker:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Well, think of it as a day by day thing. I used to feel overwhelmed at the thought of losing 60 pounds when the first 10 was always the most unpleasant and took over 3 months !

But if you make small changes they will start building. This isn't a diet for a day or a month. There's no "on it" or "off it." It is something you get used to that becomes easy and second nature. Eventually you'll be at a goal weight and able to maintain it with minimal work ! So don't worry about the destination for the next few months, even the next year.

If you are eating at a deficit over time and doing some kind of activity, you will eventually get to your goal weight no matter what. If you stall out at a plateau, eat less - or do more intense exercise (and boost your calories to match, if needed).

As long as you don't overeat you will never have to worry about being overweight again. And as long as you work something into your calories you can eat anything - although it's easier to maintain fewer calories if you eat "clean" (lean meat - whole grain - fruit - veg).
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog post about this subject with some ideas I found useful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TwelveSticks/view/setting-goals-or-chipping-away-at-it-517800
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also have 110 lbs to lose and was overwhelmed a first, until I started focusing on the workouts and my eating habits instead. That gave me less time to think about how much I have to lose. I also measure myself once a month, which helps a lot especially at first when you might not see much of a difference in the mirror or your clothes. I also set mini goals of 8 lbs a month. Anything more than that is gravy. And I take pictures of myself as well to keep me motivated. I've only lost about 30 lbs from my highest weight at 280 and noticed a huge difference in pictures and in my clothes. Pictures, measurements and this site/app keep me motivated daily to stick with it. Also my goal to lose the weight and look amazing next summer at my sister's wedding is a lot of motivation as well. Anyway feel free to add me for support if you want. Good luck in your journey!
  • Apogree
    Apogree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    diannethegeek: That's a really great idea! I'm going to snag it from you.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 pounds from running. Start slow with walking. You'll get there!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I put a sign on my fridge, you'll wish you started a year from now, with the date I started. A year has gone by and that sign is still there making me smile. That year was going to go by either way. Before mfp, I would torture myself with restrictions and if I gained weight I would be so discouraged and think what is the point. Because of mfp, I now know, calories in, calories out and that when the scale says I gained weight I know it is anything but fat. I am honest about logging my food and my exercise so I am confident when the scale fluctuates in the wrong direction, I can ride it out and wait for my whoosh of weight loss. The best thing I ever read on here is,unless I ate an extra 3500 calories its not possible for me to have gained a pound of fat. Nevermind the 3-5 I gain once a month. I eat extra salt, the scale goes up. I drink extra water and cut back the sodium, the scale reflects my true weight. So if you are honest with your logging, and you are maintaining a deficit, no matter what the scale says, you can be confident you are moving in the right direction. Drink your water and incorporate exercise of any kind. Don't torture yourself. Eat enough to keep you going. There is a lot of good sensible advice on this site. Remember, you don't have to be at goal to start feeling and looking better. The benefits start long before that. Eat what makes you happy but spend your calories like money. Plan ahead so you have enough food for the whole day. If you want pizza for dinner, then you probably should have salad and chicken breast for lunch. I noticed just by changing to whipped peanut butter, I saved 60 calories on 2 tbsp and that allowed me to enjoy an nice lemon sherbert at the end of the day. The fact that I like beer actually has me eating healthier because if I want volume in my food with low enough calories to leave room for beer, its more likely that I will reach for healthier foods to achieve that. Mix it up and find out what works for you. But most of all Enjoy your changes!
  • bigtree2
    bigtree2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start! MFP and all the great support will help keep you going. I am focusing on the journey, learning new ways to think, eat, and exercise encorporating them in to my life to become my new healthier habits. =)
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    all of the above ^^^ small steps is the way to get it off and then keep it off :) come here and post often, vent, read whatever you need to do to stay motivated.. Good luck
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    You know what? I LOVE to look at the 'success stories' section of the message boards and look at the people who have lost a WHOLE bunch of weight. Then I think to myself, "Damn, real people did that with no surgeries or weird diets and I can too." It keeps me inspired. I don't set a time frame, I just set those small goals. I still haven't made friends with the exercise thing yet, so that's my next step. There will be days when we say, "screw it" and feel guilty over something. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!! It's going to take time but it will be soooooo worth it!

Me too! I love that! I think you also need to remember that if you "fall off the wagon" that you shouldn't give up - just get right back on!!!! Don't be too hard on yourself. I would look at it as one day at a time, one pound at a time. Little by little. Baby steps. Once you get about a month in and start seeing some real change on the scale, you will be self-motivated.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Eat what makes you happy but spend your calories like money.

This is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever seen.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the bad pun, but it's apt.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

You can see from my ticker that I've lost 133 pounds. I did that between June 2011 and September 2012 and I've been maintaining since.

When I first set up my ticker, I did not tell it my actual, long-term, "I'll never possibly weigh that amount" weight. Ugh, that would have been depressing. Instead I told it I wanted to be 25 pounds lighter. Because, after all, even that would have been great, right? And it was ATTAINABLE. Once I reached it, I told it I wanted to weigh 40 pounds less than my starting weight. Then 60. Then 75. Then 199 - the elusive "onederland". Then 185. Then I finally gave it my actual goal weigh. Even now, I've adjusted it downwards a bit. I like to work toward mini-goals, because they feel SO great to reach.

My other tips:

- Don't make any changes you're not willing to make for a lifetime. That means you'll be making a whole lot of small, easy changes. That means you can still have ice cream and doughnuts, and don't call them cheats - you have nothing to cheat on. You're getting fit for life, not for a diet.

- Exercise. No matter what it is. Move your body.

- Don't let a bad meal become a bad day. Log it and move forward. Don't think, "screw it, might as well eat a pint of ice cream." Similarly, don't let a bad day become a bad weekend.

- If you have a special occasion that involves food, eat the food. You can only go to so many events and watch other people eating delicious things before you start to wonder if being fat is better than being deprived. Log it, or don't. But move on.

- Make a commitment to log onto MFP every. single. day. I did. I'll hit my 710th day soon. It doesn't mean you need to log your food every day, but it will remind you EVERY SINGLE DAY that you are now a person who is focused on health and fitness. You are not willing to return to old habits; the rewards are simply too great. My morning ritual of logging on keeps me focused.

- Build a support network here. I am madly in love with so many of my MFP friends, it's a travesty we're spread around the world. They are amazing people who inspire me and support me, and allow me to do the same for them. I couldn't/wouldn't have made it without my buddies.

Check out my blog here - oodles of tips and photos there:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1. I'm going to echo everyone with the advice to take it in small bits and really celebrate. Even 10 pounds makes you feel better and makes you healthier! Don't look at the big number, just take it in manageable chunks.

2. Don't Self Sabotage! I don't know if you have problems with this, but I know I have at times. Don't say oh crap I ate cake yesterday and use that as an excuse to have even more cake! Just say, I enjoyed that yesterday (or possibly it made you sick and sleepy all afternoon in which case remember that), now back to my regular schedule. Don't freak out that it's that you can't make it and backslide. Don't freak out that you're plateauing (if you need to evaluate, that's a different story). Treat weight loss like a science experiment. You are an N of 1. Take what works and what doesn't and reevaluate going forward. Always improving.

3. Slow weight loss is ok. It stays off better. It took me two years to lose 40 pounds but it's relatively easy to maintain.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Try to set mini goals, 10 to 20 lbs at a time. Also look at it as "This is how far I've COME" not "This is how far I have to GO". If I did that I'd give up. I have 120 lbs to lose as well. And only 14 so far. So I just try to keep my eye on what I've done and not what I still have to do. Good luck on your journey!!
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Set mini goals! thats what I do..Im gonna lose 10 lbs this month...reward yourself for your mini goals.

I do the same thing. I just make sure my rewards are nonfood things. I always used to reward myself with food so I personally need to change my mindset. To each their own. I have to loose over 100lbs too so i understand. one step at a time and watching that ticker move everytime you weigh in is a great thing :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing I'm shamelessly stealing from another site: Always Dominate Mondays!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I agree definitely small goals.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the mini goals. I have about 75 lbs to lose - and sometimes that number on the scale just won't move - I made two little jars with marbles - one that said "pounds to lose" and one said "pounds lost" and would move a little marble when i lost a lb, if i gained it i had to put it back in the other jar. its helped. also, when i started working out regularly, i would give myself a dollar for every work out, that way i could be saving money towards new clothes, or a treat when i reached another goal! =) you can do it! just acknowledging you have the weight to lose is a big step. know you're not alone out there, and you can do it!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm trying not to think about the total amount that I want to lose, I'm just focusing on eating better and getting in cardo 3/4 times a week. The way I look at it is, this time is going to go by no matter what I do and I have been at this weight for a very long time and not feeling good at all. So I can keep on eating the way I was and not taking care of myself OR I can eat better and take better care of myself. Next year at this time I will have made progress in the right direction, as opposed to staying the way I am or feeling even worse. Whether it is 20lbs or 80lbs, at this time next year it really doesn't matter. What matters is I am starting to take care of myself and feel better already. The pounds will follow however they will, not my top priority, feeling better is my priority.

That being said, try not to focus on the total, focus on taking care of yourself. When you start feeling better that will give you the motivation to go on.

Edited to add:
    quote @ShannonMpls "When I first set up my ticker, I did not tell it my actual, long-term, "I'll never possibly weigh that amount" weight. Ugh, that would have been depressing. Instead I told it I wanted to be 25 pounds lighter. Because, after all, even that would have been great, right? And it was ATTAINABLE. Once I reached it, I told it I wanted to weigh 40 pounds less than my starting weight. Then 60. Then 75. Then 199 - the elusive "onederland". Then 185. Then I finally gave it my actual goal weigh. Even now, I've adjusted it downwards a bit. I like to work toward mini-goals, because they feel SO great to reach. "

this is such a great idea, I think I am going to adjust my ticker to my shorter goals. THANKS for the idea :drinker:
    Good luck
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had 118.8 pounds to lose. I'm down 47.8 pounds so have 71 more pounds to lose. I'm aiming for 10 pounds at a time. Good luck!