Questions for 10K+ training

DizzieLittleLifter
DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm doing a 10K+ on July 25th. Currently I run three days a week. With each run I try to either increase my speed or distance. I want to be sure now that I'm getting closer to the date and mileage that I'm doing it all right.

1.) How important would you say doing interval training is?
2.) Is indoor training worth it? I ran on the treadmill for the first time in years. (I'm a roadrunner) I was bored silly, but I did like how I could run at 6.8 for a few miles then back to 5.5 for a mile( incline was 1.5) I know the route that I will be running and I know it is mostly hills. :ohwell:
3.) I saw a few training programs on line. One for purchase that works with an ipod. Has anyone used these? It just seems that my endurance is beyond where these are. I see that they don't actually have you run the full distance until the day of the race. :huh:

4.) if you wouldn't mind would some of you be willing to share your training schedule with me?
THANKS! :happy:

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    tagging for my topics.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I see that they don't actually have you run the full distance until the day of the race. :huh:

That's fairly typical. You don't have to run 10K every week to be able to do it in a race. When I did my first 10k (as part of a triathlon, too) I hadn't run farther than 5 miles at a time and I did fine. For my half-marathon, the longest I had run at any one time was 10 miles but I had no trouble running 13.1 the day of the race. I ran faster than I expected to as well and I'm sure that was a result of the interval training and strength training I did leading up to the race.

Generally, for 3 day a week training, I like a plan with one speed workout (short, fast distances with rest intervals), one long run (building up to race distance, but at a slightly slower pace) and one tempo run (a mid-distance run at faster than race pace). They all work together to build up both speed and endurance.
This discussion has been closed.