Does anyone know.......

Options
I have been doing this for around 50 days now. I have lost 11lbs, and that is great, but for the last two weeks the scale hasn't moved. I am sticking to my calories 1200, and working out. I have been on my elliptical every day. Why am I stuck?

Replies

• vampwix
    vampwix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is called a plateau. There are a couple of theories on how to adjust this. You could adjust your calories so you eat 1300 one day and maybe 1100 another. OR (and this is my preference) you can step up the work out routine. Throw something else in there... make it a bit more challenging. The scale will move after that.
  • Fiskmama
    Fiskmama Posts: 15
    Options
    Probably time to change your exercise activity. Your body is getting used to the elliptical and is accommodating it. I'll bet with a little variation and some muscle confusion you'll be right back on track. Circuit training is a great way to start.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    We have all hit plateaus at some point in our weight loss. You need to shake it up some. When it happened to me, I actually increased my calorie intake to 1540 and started losing weight again! !!!!! ALSO if you have another exercise routine that you can alternate with, would probably be helpful as well. As hard as it is to comprehend, try increasing your caloric intake by several hundred calories. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    When my weight loss would slow down, I would go back over my logs and look for red flags. I'd usually find them. Maybe I slacked off on drinking my water or I'd skipped a few workouts. If I couldn't find a cause, I'd assume it was water retention and not worry about it.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate when this happens! To start losing again I up my exercise routine into full butt kicking gear and I eat my exercise calories.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories...or eat back at least part of what you are burning when you exercise.
  • recyclebella
    Options
    You can also double check your sodium intake to make sure it isn't higher than normal, which can cause water retention.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    We have all hit plateaus at some point in our weight loss. You need to shake it up some. When it happened to me, I actually increased my calorie intake to 1540 and started losing weight again! !!!!! ALSO if you have another exercise routine that you can alternate with, would probably be helpful as well. As hard as it is to comprehend, try increasing your caloric intake by several hundred calories. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

I agree 100%. That is what I did when I plateaued and my weight started dropping again :smile:

Oh and watch your sodium intake. It will get you every time lol
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options

I agree 100%. That is what I did when I plateaued and my weight started dropping again :smile:

I'm in the same boat and have been there for a bit over a week so I've upped my cals by about 150 -300 depending on the day. I'm breastfeeding so I want to make sure I keep the milk flowing & losing as well. I think I may have screwed up my metab since I was only eating around 1200 for the first two weeks I joined MFP but have since gotten wise about things and have been eating 1600ish.

I'm hoping you find success getting over your plateau. :flowerforyou: