Man in Business Suit - Flat Front or Pleated Pants?

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Pleats look extremely dated. Don't go there.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Pleats have a place in business. It's called the salvation army.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Pleats have a place in business. It's called the salvation army.

^^^^This....Flat Front is nice.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Pleats are dated, flat front looks far better and modern.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Flat front
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Flat front! The 90s called and they wants their pleats back.
  • rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    Better off flat
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pleats are only for comfort. They look good on no man. Ever.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Jos. A Bank will hook you up with flat front pants and suit coats, shirt, ties etc and will not break you price-wise.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Sweet_Kimmie Posts: 155
    Options
    Flat Front Please
  • YourGirl_Tina
    YourGirl_Tina Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    no preference, just make sure if you go flat your pockets lay flush...
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Pleats are for gentlemen with a few extra rolls in front that need a little extra room. Today's style for the trim man is flat front and thin legged.
  • Sweet_Kimmie
    Sweet_Kimmie Posts: 155
    Options
    Pleats are for gentlemen with a few extra rolls in front that need a little extra room. Today's style for the trim man is flat front and thin legged.

Agreed, well said.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I rock the flat front. Honestly, I think the pleats are well suited for the gentlemen that are more than few pounds heavy

I'm not sure about this. From what I've seen, pleats have a nasty habit of appearing to add pounds where there aren't any. (or extra pounds to existing girth) I made my husband get rid of all his old pleated dress pants, because they just dragged all his lines down and made him look squat and dumpy. Flat front all the way for him. I can't speak for the whole world, though.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Both. Pleats do have a place.

In certain industries such as financial, always go conservative. You want to project a stable, prudent image. Latest styles and fitted clothing projects youth. Youth does not project wisdom - dress mature.

A flashy peacock tells the client that you are making too much money off him and that you spend money frivolously. Your goal is to conduct business, not make a fashion statement. Other than a wedding band and conservative watch, off the jewelry too. Less is more.

This is not a slam, but limit the female influence on business attire. (sure you will probably look better, but unless youre in the fashion industry, just dont.) Ugly ties rule.
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Both could be ok but.. IMPORTANT. Empty pockets always! if you need to carry keys, wallet, etc, you better have a "purse" or something like that instead of loading your pockets and look weird. And... back pocket is never to be used... :)
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Both. Pleats do have a place.

In certain industries such as financial, always go conservative. You want to project a stable, prudent image. Latest styles and fitted clothing projects youth. Youth does not project wisdom - dress mature.

A flashy peacock tells the client that you are making too much money off him and that you spend money frivolously. Your goal is to conduct business, not make a fashion statement. Other than a wedding band and conservative watch, off the jewelry too. Less is more.

This is not a slam, but limit the female influence on business attire. (sure you will probably look better, but unless youre in the fashion industry, just dont.) Ugly ties rule.

Sadly, I think this nails my situation to a tee. Thanks for the response.

And I agree with all of the female responses that flat front looks better so thank you for those responses. Unfortunately I'm more likely to have to impress a fat, balding, 50-something executive.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    NO PLEATS!!!!!!

(Read in the "No more wire hangers" voice)

Pleats will age you and make you look bulky. guaranteed.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    flat front. always.

This should've been the end of the thread.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I wear plat front due to the way the pleats lay on most pants. I have one pair that are pleasted but the pleat is only 1 pleat not 2 or 3 and do not bag out and add 30 pounds.