Tricep Dips....HELP!

Options
I have begun a new workout regimen for arms. It begins with 3 sets of 20 Tricep dips (rest 45 seconds between).
I am not new to the tricep dip, but I must be doing it wrong because my wrists are very sore after each workout.
That can't be right! I'm gonna have carpal tunnel syndrome by my 21st birthday if that proper form.

Please help!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have begun a new workout regimen for arms. It begins with 3 sets of 20 Tricep dips (rest 45 seconds between).
    I am not new to the tricep dip, but I must be doing it wrong because my wrists are very sore after each workout.
    That can't be right! I'm gonna have carpal tunnel syndrome by my 21st birthday if that proper form.

Please help!

Are you doing them with a box or bench behind you?
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm doing them at home on the edge of my bed frame, which is very flat, probably similar to the way the edge of a box would be. (I assume you mean those wooden ones at the gym)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm doing them at home on the edge of my bed frame, which is very flat, probably similar to the way the edge of a box would be. (I assume you mean those wooden ones at the gym)

Pretty much, basically your arms are behind you. Basically those are not a great way to do dips because it puts your shoulders in a bad position, it induces impingement. I've never heard complaints about wrist soreness but the position in which your hands and arms are in stands to reason that such a position could induce wrist pain as well. If you have a home gym and room, see if you can buy one of those upright stands that lets you do parallel bar dips and has a chin-up bar at the top. Parallel bar dips are typically more challenging and less stressful on shoulder and probably the wrist too. Just my two-cents.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well many people in the gym use round handles, your wrist might be sore if you are using your palms to hold your body weight - it can hyperextended the ligaments/tendons near the wrist .... Similar to push ups - I have a bad wrist when doing them with palms down - now I resort to fists