Think My dog is protesting walks.

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
She will do her thing then not want to go any further lol. I have to wind up carrying her home. Any idea what is up with that?

170b3d17-5246-44c9-9068-70993002149b_zpsae745fd3.jpg

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    She will do her thing then not want to go any further lol. I have to wind up carrying her home. Any idea what is up with that?

170b3d17-5246-44c9-9068-70993002149b_zpsae745fd3.jpg

Super Sweet. Because she is a pomeranian..... And has a mind of her own. And does what shes wants. We have two of them. And on our walks, the older one sometimes goes as long as I keeping saying "Come On, come on. We go for walk now" Gotta keep saying that throughout the walk. The other one will keep going and going and going, no matter how long the walk is. :smile: In fact if this is the dog you are talking about, she looks similar to my Hyedee, and shes the one that does that sometimes.
  • HiKaren
    Options
    You can also look at it this way. If you have to carry her the last part of your walk. You are now walking carrying some weights. A 10-20 lb baby-pack.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Yes that's my baby girl she is very stubborn lol She is very mild mannered. I will try that see if I cant get her to go further I don't want her to get over weight and lazy on me. lol
  • meeper123
    Options
    You can also look at it this way. If you have to carry her the last part of your walk. You are now walking carrying some weights. A 10-20 lb baby-pack.

hehe true :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    walk the cat instead, much better walkers.
  • meeper123
    Options
    lol that or make the cat walk behind her she is so scared of cats
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    walk the cat instead, much better walkers.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My dog does that, too. I know she's being a lazy bossy bEyotch because she picks up pace on the way back home.

If you have ruled out medical problems (arthritis, for example), you can attack this using the usual behavioral approaches. Don't acknowledge the dog in any way if she puts on the "dog breaks", and do not give in.

Also, don't make the dog wear that getup outside. I would refuse to walk too if someone put a Groucho Marx face on me.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

mine does it to but its because he is now 13 yrs old and does not like to go for so long walks anymore a bit to heavy to carry tho he is 90 lbs
  • meeper123
    Options
    My dog does that, too. I know she's being a lazy bossy bEyotch because she picks up pace on the way back home.

If you have ruled out medical problems (arthritis, for example), you can attack this using the usual behavioral approaches. Don't acknowledge the dog in any way if she puts on the "dog breaks", and do not give in.

Also, don't make the dog wear that getup outside. I would refuse to walk too if someone put a Groucho Marx face on me.

Lol! at the groucho marx bit. I think that she is just lazy we were at the vet a week ago and they said she was very healthy. Maybe because we walk the same path everyday she is getting bored?
  • HiKaren
    Options

mine does it to but its because he is now 13 yrs old and does not like to go for so long walks anymore a bit to heavy to carry tho he is 90 lbs

Woah :smile: Maybe little walks here and there.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Lol! at the groucho marx bit. I think that she is just lazy we were at the vet a week ago and they said she was very healthy. Maybe because we walk the same path everyday she is getting bored?

Could be! My dog is a marker (even though she's female) and will not be happy unless we revisit her favorite spots. It's actually a pain when we are away for a few days from where I live, because when we return, she has this agenda to revisit and check all of her pee mail.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    We had an inside house dog and when we walked her for the first time she actually damaged the padding on the bottom of her paws. Had to take her to the vet and they put her in boots and all this other fun stuff.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I always brought water and a bowl for my malamute. And then I still ended up carrying him, but at least I was sure that he wasn't dehydrated.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My dog does this sometimes, especially if its hot, or if he is not pleased with the route I have chosen. Hes a little large to be carried, but all of a sudden he just stops in the middle of the road and gives me a look that says "I'm done now" and turns his head back as a signal we should be going that way instead. I have a doggy water bottle that I bring with me for the warm days which helps, but he is just very sensitive to temperature.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Great advice from posters above.

Also-- do you have any reason to think that your pooch has any health issues? Arthritis? Boils (they get them between their toes)? Dogs like to play "who's the REAL boss?" too.

I have a pitbull and she does not like walking in warm weather. She has a neck the size of a running back's thigh and a chest to match, very short thin hair.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    At least you can carry her, My 55 lb. Basset Hound decides a walk is over and lays down wherever she is until someone brings the car to get her. She is getting old so the walks are short now.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    omg, it is a pom. So fluffy I'm gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love poms! :heart:
  • bumblebums
    Options
    My dog does this sometimes, especially if its hot, or if he is not pleased with the route I have chosen. Hes a little large to be carried, but all of a sudden he just stops in the middle of the road and gives me a look that says "I'm done now" and turns his head back as a signal we should be going that way instead. I have a doggy water bottle that I bring with me for the warm days which helps, but he is just very sensitive to temperature.

Oh yeah, that's a good trick--I pretend it was my idea for us to stop, for a water break. And sometimes the dog is actually thirsty so it's smart anyway.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Thanks i figured it out i think she wants to go were she sees people kids in particular she loves kids :) figured this out when she refused to walk any other direction than to a fellow army wife who i work with she is just a people pooch lol