Frustrated!

Options
So I started at 218 and this was months ago. I'm now 194.5 and this last week or so have become very strict with myself and working out more than I ever have. Making sure I run do ab workouts ect... This last week I have only lost .5lbs...I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong...really could use some encouragement/success stories :smile:

Also I'm 19 with a 2 year old daughter I know my matabalism sould not be this slow!!

Replies

• latindian
    latindian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure your accounting for muscle mass gain. Get a scale that measures your body fat percentage. At times you will gain weight but it may be good weight. This is when this kind of scale will come in handy to keep you motivated. Also make sure you are switching up your exercise routine to avoid "the plateau"
  • bfallico
    bfallico Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks! When you say switch up do you mean don't just work on the same area or do different cardio exercises also?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How is your diet?
  • bfallico
    bfallico Posts: 13
    Options
    Some days I have a lot of calories left. (500 +) baraly any bread mostly fruits and veggies for protien chicken. Nothing fried and only water to drink ( a lot of it). Once or twice I get a green tea from starbucks =]
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Some days I have a lot of calories left. (500 +) baraly any bread mostly fruits and veggies for protien chicken. Nothing fried and only water to drink ( a lot of it). Once or twice I get a green tea from starbucks =]
    weight loss is mainly in the kitchen so focus on logging exactly what you eat and make sure you are eating enough (good food). If you have 500 cals left then you need to eat a little more.
  • latindian
    latindian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You do need to make sure you are working all areas of the body, but switching up routines refers to not keeping the same program for more than a 3 months. You have to keep your body guessing. So try a program like Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, once you complete it go for a different program. Make sure to give your self some breaks in between programs. For example if you just finished a program working out 6 days a week, take a week or two off working out only 3 days a week. Then you can go back into another program full force.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Make sure your accounting for muscle mass gain. Get a scale that measures your body fat percentage. At times you will gain weight but it may be good weight. This is when this kind of scale will come in handy to keep you motivated. Also make sure you are switching up your exercise routine to avoid "the plateau"

She is going to gain any muscle, especially with huge deficits.

Things I would change:

1. Your expectations... weight loss isn't linear. Water retention from additional exercise will mask fat loss
    2. A person with 40 lbs to lose, should be aiming for about 1 lb per week. If you get too aggressive, you could lose a good amount of weight from muscle. When you lose muscle it takes longer to get a lean and tight body. I can't tell you how many people I know hit their weight goal but not body image goal.
    3. Consistently log - inaccurate calorie count will hurt results
    4. Stop starving your body. A 19 year old girl (especially if you are breast feedings) needs a good amount calories. If you are exercising 6 days a week, then you can probably eat 1900+ calories and still lose as shown in the link below.

OP, aim to get your calorie goal, give it time, and if you are working out, make sure it's a combination of weight training and cardio (heavier on WT if possible).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

While in a calorie deficit, especially a larger one you will not gain muscle... and the scales that measure body fat at home are not accurate at all.

OP, do switch things up now and again. Change how much you eat. Change the exercise you do. Change the intensity, time, etc.

Also ensure that you have a proper deficit. Don't try to lose too quickly. Eat your calories. Limit your sodium. Ensure you are tracking properly (never use measuring cups/spoons for food, use a kitchen scale for accuracy).

Also know that you will most likely not lose weight each and every week. Our weight naturally changes often. Some weeks you will go up, some down, some you won't see a change but stick with it. You did lose this week so be happy with that even if was a smaller amount.