Advice: Losing from all the wrong places!

Options
I've been gradually losing weight by tracking my calories in vs out and exercise. It's fantastic!

Here's the problem! I enjoy my daily exercise and still want to continue losing fat. I am, however, losing it from my neck/collar bones/ribs area and am starting to look pretty bony in that area. I still have a healthy amount to lose in my midsection. I don't know if I should just give up on my goal of achieving a flat stomach in order to avoid looking emaciated on my top half.

I know you can't target specific areas of weight loss, but is there a way around this problem somehow? Maybe through eating differently or doing different types of workouts? Right now, I do a lot of cardio.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Weights :)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've been gradually losing weight by tracking my calories in vs out and exercise. It's fantastic!

Here's the problem! I enjoy my daily exercise and still want to continue losing fat. I am, however, losing it from my neck/collar bones/ribs area and am starting to look pretty bony in that area. I still have a healthy amount to lose in my midsection. I don't know if I should just give up on my goal of achieving a flat stomach in order to avoid looking emaciated on my top half.

I know you can't target specific areas of weight loss, but is there a way around this problem somehow? Maybe through eating differently or doing different types of workouts? Right now, I do a lot of cardio.

Any suggestions?

Some advice I have heard from others and agree with:
    Cardio helps you look good in your clothes, Weightlifting helps you look good naked.
    Get your food straightened out before anything else. Abs are 90% made in the kitchen. (I've heard other versions of this that differ very slightly, but good advice nonetheless)

Maybe you don't lose it the way that you like, but if you do things right, the weight WILL come off, even in problem areas. Just about everyone that will chime in will probably tell you to work on gaining lean muscle mass. They are right! Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your progress so far!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Strength training on your upper half will prevent you from looking emaciated. Also, check your protein macro and make sure you're getting 1g / # of lean body mass you have to prevent the loss of any more muscle as you diet.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    What types of weights will build muscle around the collar bone area?
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same - really want to lose the weight off my stomach but it's only coming off my ribs/chest and looks horrible. Would different types of strength training (other than heavy lifting) be good for making these areas look better? Very soon I won't have access to a gym but want to look less flabby on my stomach!
  • TheDirtyBulker
    Options

Shrugs, shoulder press, bench press, etc.
  • riboui
    riboui Posts: 8
    Options

Shrugs, shoulder press, bench press, etc.

Unweighted exercises would be pull ups, push up, and variations thereof.