What does a 'rest day' mean for you?

Options

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My "rest day" is Sunday. I don't do a workout, but I stay busy. Usually cleaning the house or working in the yard. I don't take it as a day off from healthy eating though.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Some weeks it might mean no workout at all but most of the time it means at least a little walk but nothing intense.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to take a day or two off when I mainly workout with weights but since I am doing more cardio I prefer to just workout every day and it keeps me motivated and since I've started working out early in the morning I have so much energy for the rest of the day:)
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks and lunch monday-friday (about 70 minutes total) and do this on my rest days and my regular days. For me, a rest day means I don't do any intense workouts like running, strength training, etc. Walking is now apart of my daily life and doesn't tire me out but allows me to burn some calories and eat more.
  • ccshopsalot
    ccshopsalot Posts: 31
    Options
    When I take my rest day i stay active (hiking, yard work, housework, family fun day etc) I don't do my normal Cardio/strength routine. When I take the rest day I find that I am able to work harder/stronger the day i return.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It means I am sick or injured and therefore incapable of fulfilling my potential.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My "rest day" is one of the following done at an easy relaxing pace: trail running, swimming laps, yoga, pilates, rock climbing, or hiking.
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You guys make me feel bad about myself, but I only lift 3 days a week. Absolutely nothing on other days, because I'm usually too sore to do anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very important...OP, yes...that's when the "magic" happens...that's when your body truly gets the benefit of your exercises. Exercise is just the catalyst...it's rest and repair that your body truly benefits; this is particularly true for lifting weights or resistance training. If you don't allow your muscles to recover then you pretty much just wasted your time.

That said, "rest" doesn't mean you just sit on your *kitten* and eat bon bons and watch the tube all day. I lift 3x weekly and I lift heavy...this is a lot of stress on my body and central nervous system. On my non-lift days I do some light cardio...a couple rounds of tabata and mayb a jog or walk...but if I do anything super intense cardio wise, it interferes with my recovery from the previous days lifting session. On lift days I might go for a walk at lunch just to move, but that's about it and I do some conditioning after my lift session...i.e. farmers carries, sled pushing, etc. I generally take Sunday off from any formal exercise, but I'm generally active...take the kids for a bike ride down by the river...go walk the dog, walk around the zoo...stuff like that.

How much rest you need is variable and dependent on the intensity of your exercise. If you're going balls out 7 days a week, you are most likely over training and leaving the door open to serious injury...not to mention, you're probably not getting the full benefit of the exercises that you are doing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You guys make me feel bad about myself, but I only lift 3 days a week. Absolutely nothing on other days, because I'm usually too sore to do anything.

That's perfectly fine...people on this site over train all of the time because they don't truly understand fitness and they don't have fitness goals that go beyond calorie burn and weight loss goals. When you start setting fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn and weight loss...that's when the world really opens up to you.

For some general heart health, I'd recommend a good 45 minute walk 3x weekly in addition to your lifting. As you get more fit, you'll likely have a desire to start adding stuff in. Most of what I do from a cardio standpoint assists me in my lifting and helps make my sessions better. I haven't set foot on a cardio machine in ages.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    A rest day to means "active rest" still staying active but laying off high amount of cardio and or weightlifting.

Usually my Saturday is my active rest =)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sitting around in my underwear, watching daytime tv......
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    My rest days mean I don't lift or run, but I might do yoga or take a walk if I feel like it. If I'm really sore I'll take an extra day, but usually I do one or two rest days a week. I've tried the 'no rest days' approach before and hurt myself pretty badly, so these days I pay close attention to how I feel and go from there.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options

That's perfectly fine...people on this site over train all of the time because they don't truly understand fitness and they don't have fitness goals that go beyond calorie burn and weight loss goals. When you start setting fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn and weight loss...that's when the world really opens up to you.

For some general heart health, I'd recommend a good 45 minute walk 3x weekly in addition to your lifting. As you get more fit, you'll likely have a desire to start adding stuff in. Most of what I do from a cardio standpoint assists me in my lifting and helps make my sessions better. I haven't set foot on a cardio machine in ages.

Love your first paragraph! That is the key really...goals have to be about much more than weight loss..thank you for sharing that!
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do strenght training twice a week usually tuesday and friday and cardio on monday, wednesday and thursday. My two rest days are on weekend. Those two days i dont do much other than have fun with my husband. We go shopping, dinner and/or movie theater, festivals, parks, beach and such. In other words, i am still on my feet most of the day.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    usually means doing nothing but could be a lightly paced walk.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Go about my normal routine minus working out.

^^ this. Occasionally I'll go for a 2 mile walk, but it's not strenuous so I still consider it resting.
  • Inittolozeit
    Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I usually take 1 or 2 rest days a week... All depends on how I'm feeling example.. Tired, sore, just in a funk etc... But I stay within my calorie intake I just don't workout those days
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    I take a rest day every 2-3 days. This doesn't imply no physical activity, just no serious shred time at the gym. Still focus on same clean eating regimen, refeeding on my end of the week rest day. You mirin?
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my rest day. No gym, no running, no lifting... I sometimes go for a walk but I am usually getting stuff ready for the week. I'm actually going to take a complete lifting rest in the middle of June. My body hasn't had a complete week of rest since I started this journey. I'll be on vacation so I'll just watch my food intake but not worry about fitting in workouts.