Canned Fruit Calories

Options
TAMayorga
TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
I know, I know. Canned fruit (especially packed in heavy syrup) is terrible nutrition compared to fresh. HOWEVER, we were completely out of fresh fruit when I packed my lunch yesterday evening.

So, here's my question: if you read the label and it says 100 Calories per serving, is that with, or without the syrup? I ate one serving for lunch, but let the syrup drain off (now that I think of it, I should have rinsed it off). :huh:

Replies

• rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    Canned fruit isn't a bad alternative at all, just make sure to buy it "in its own juice" or in "light syrup"; I use canned fruit a lot when cooking, especially in salad preparation.

However, to answer your question: I assume the amount of calories on the back of the can are for a single serving of the product, syrup included. If you drained the syrup I'd imagine you lost a few calories.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have oral allergy syndrome, so not allowed to eat fresh fruit, only canned. Unsweetened applesauce is amazing, and only about 50 calories for a small single serving cup.

For other canned fruit, look for them packed in water - I think it's Del Monte that has recently introduced mandarin oranges, peaches etc. that are water packed, not even light syrup! They are also about 50 calories or less per small serving cup, and only the natural sugars that were in the fruit. Plus they taste much fresher and more "real" than the stuff in heavy syrup.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Canned fruit isn't a bad alternative at all, just make sure to buy it "in it's own juice" or in "light syrup"; I use canned fruit a lot when cooking, especially in salad preparation.

However, to answer your question: I assume the amount of calories on the back of the can are for a single serving of the product, syrup included. If you drained the syrup I'd imagine you lost a few calories.

I have just always assumed that canned fruits and veggies have less fiber and less nutrients with the peel removed.

And I bought these before I started MFP. :smile:
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is a good question. I wonder the same thing about canned beans (which I eat a lot of). They are high in sodiom, but my understanding is that most of the salt is in the liquid. I always rinse the beans off before I eat them - so I am left wondering how much actual sodium I'm eating!

For the canned fruit, I would assume that the calorie count includes the syrup. But if you throw all the syrup away, it probably doesn't get rid of all the sugar. So the fruit isn't like eating a pure piece of fruit, but it is also not like eating the fruit and drinking the syrup - but I can't think of any way to estimate the calories!