Grapefruit - what the hell are your calories?

Options
So Ive been eating a grapefruit a few times for the past few weeks... however, I just recognized that I seem to have tracked the wrong calories all the time :'(

now i've been looking around in the web, but i cant really find a reliable source for it... every page gives me different information.

I peel the grapefruit and then it sliced... does anyone of you know how many calories 100 gramms of sliced peeled grapefruit have?

Replies

• rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    A whole, medium-sized grapefruit will have ~85 calories.
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options

yeah that's what i've been tracking, but my grapefruit weighs about 250 g and then MFP tells me, that it's 125 cals
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

yeah that's what i've been tracking, but my grapefruit weighs about 250 g and then MFP tells me, that it's 125 cals

Keep in mind that MFP won't be accurate 100% of the time and predicting the actual calories in a piece of fresh fruit isn't an exact science either. I'd say if you track a default of 100 calories for a medium sized grapefruit you should be good.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    According to nutritiondata.self.com 100 grams of "Grapefruit, raw, pink and red, all areas" is:

Cal - 42
    Fat - 0
    Chol - 0
    Sod - 0
    Pot - 135mg
    Carb - 11
    Fib - 2
    Sug - 7
    Pro - 1
    Vit A - 23%
    Vit C - 52%
    Calc - 2%
    Iron - 0%

But there were lots of listing for different types of grapefruit, if you wanted to get more specific about what kind you have. http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-grapefruit000000000000000000000.html
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    USDA database. My go to when I don't have a nutrition label.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    This is my goto for any nutritional information

Info for grapefruit

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2239
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Gram weight will be more accurate than using a general size entry (like "medium-sized" or even cup measurements)

The items listed in the MFP database that do NOT have asterisks next to them (this shows on a computer, but not on the phone apps) reflect the USDA based info.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I used to weigh my grapefruit, and log the total grams. Then I realized.. DER, most of that weight is in the peel, and I don't eat that! So i started to weigh it before and after. But whose to know how the information was added into the data base? Are those entries with or without peel?
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I seriously wouldn't worry about a difference of 40 or so calories. That's verging on ED territory.